Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
I swear by the Thermacell. I hunt in an area that you literally cannot stand to be in without one. The mosquitoes will eat you alive.
Fire up the Thermacell no problem. Bought one for the camper as well
Do you use the personal Thermacell or the lantern?
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
When the bugs are really bad, I find a smoky fire works very well. Only problem is I do not like smoky fires. I have been thinking about locating a small bug light to put out in the back forty to see what happens.
Smoky fires do help. The light far away from your campsite is a good idea, too.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #23

1) Monitor your diet - as I understand it, mosquitoes love sugar so people with normal or high blood sugar levels are more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes than people with low blood sugar levels.
2) DEET sensitive/thin skin areas like wrists and ankles.
3) Keep air circulating
4) During dusk - get inside!!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #24

I haven't used it lately but IIRC a product called Skin So Soft worked fairly well against mosquitoes, smelled nice and, well, made your skin soft!

In the dry pine forests of northern CA we would sometimes be pestered by what we called meat bees, small yellow and black striped wasps also known as yellowjackets that would sting you (repeatedly) if you tried swatting them and if you did not somehow remove them from your person they would literally bite chunks out of you. They are daytime fliers so smokey camp fires were a non starter in the 90+ degree heat of summer. Nothing seemed to keep them away so in desperation we tried baiting them away from the campsite. Lo and behold it worked! We used slices of lunch meat and they would devour a whole slice in a day, one little meat bee bite at a time.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #25

What the heck is Thermacell???
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
A device that heats a chemical bug repellant. Google it for a complete description.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
http://bit.ly/1M2bFna

Here you go!

Sorry I had to. I so rarely get to use that
Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
1) Monitor your diet - as I understand it, mosquitoes love sugar so people with normal or high blood sugar levels are more likely to be bitten by mosquitoes than people with low blood sugar levels.
2) DEET sensitive/thin skin areas like wrists and ankles.
3) Keep air circulating
4) During dusk - get inside!!
My daughter does love sweets. And carbs.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
I haven't used it lately but IIRC a product called Skin So Soft worked fairly well against mosquitoes, smelled nice and, well, made your skin soft!

In the dry pine forests of northern CA we would sometimes be pestered by what we called meat bees, small yellow and black striped wasps also known as yellowjackets that would sting you (repeatedly) if you tried swatting them and if you did not somehow remove them from your person they would literally bite chunks out of you. They are daytime fliers so smokey camp fires were a non starter in the 90+ degree heat of summer. Nothing seemed to keep them away so in desperation we tried baiting them away from the campsite. Lo and behold it worked! We used slices of lunch meat and they would devour a whole slice in a day, one little meat bee bite at a time.
We use Skin so Soft during the day to keep away the flying insects. We also put it on our hands and rub it on the dog. Not strong enough for night time, though. The mosquitos need something more powerful.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post

Holy Smokes about the yellow jackets, by the way. They eat a piece of lunchmeat a day?! That is incredible!