Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

Buying a jay flight 22 BHM

We are new to this forum and travel trailers all together. After looking for a TT, we narrowed it to the brand Jayco and the Jayflight 7 - 22 BHM. Can anyone give us any advice as if this is a good choice before we purchase? Also , if anyone else has bought this model, are you happy with your purchase and what ball park should we be paying. We visited several dealerships with a big difference in prices between them. Thanks !
mcolangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

New here and also interested in this thread. Wife and I have narrowed down to the 22BHM and the rockwood 2306. Leaning towards the 22 mainly because of the tonque weight of the rockwood. We went to the Jayco dealer and chose our options and was quoted 17,100 dollars. We have been in the rockwood but not the 22 yet because no one has one on the lot. We have decided to wait for the big RV show in February to purchase our trailer so we can get inside a 22BHM and see what its like. We were not expecting the price quote to be that low so most likely will add more options. The quote we got for the 2306 was a tad over 23,000.
40twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

I've owned a '16 22BHM for about 2 months. We have only taken it out twice and so far we love it. I am a first time RVer, so I can't compare it to anything else. However, a few things I love about it are:

- Tows really well, and the narrow 7' width is easy to see around
- The queen mattress on the murphy bed is super nice. It is really firm (which I like) so if you want a more plush feel get a mattress topper
- Roof mounted AC can cool the unit in Arizona's heat
- The double-sized beds for the bunks provides lots of space for the kids. It was the only bunk house model in our tow range that had double/full size beds (everyone else has single/twin size bed)
- Lots of storage inside (I do wish there was more outside)

Hope this helps!
dtosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate you giving your thoughts on the 22 BMH. We are just about "sold" on this model and will probably visit the dealer this evening to finalize the deal. They are only a few hundred dollars above the quote I got from RV direct. We are going to order all options except the power tongue jack and exterior grill. We opted for the customer value package, sink cover, alum wheels, outside kitchen, bike rack, roof ladder, and enclosed underbelly insulation package.

We are undecided on the power roof vent. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #5

The options we got are:

- Customer Value Package (which is a required package actually)
- TV (haven't used it yet)
- 13.5k roof AC (recommend if you are going to be camping somewhere HOT, like Arizona)
- Power Jack (highly recommended and only $127 MSRP)
- Enclosed underbelly
- Aluminum rims

We debated on the outdoor kitchen but decided to keep the outside storage instead of a kitchen. We will get a bumper attached grill and hook it into the propane valve that's conveniently located there.

We haven't camped somewhere that we haven't needed AC yet, so a roof vent wouldn't have helped much. I will probably upgrade the vent in the bathroom to a solar fan at some point.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

Ordered it!

We just got back from the dealer. All in all I think we did well. Got it with the value package, sink cover, power roof fan, outside kitchen, roof ladder, bike carrier, & enclosed underbelly. We didn't get the tv, power tongue jack, and the outside grill. Hope we don't regret skipping the power the tongue jack. Paid $16,500. Hope this was a good price. We also got the lighter, meadow microfiber interior. We didn't see the darker leatherette in person. Hope we made good choices!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

How many can fit at that dinette? We're seriously considering this model, but not sure if we can fit 5 at that table. Looks like maybe 2? can fit comfortably?
HikeCampRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Unfortunately there were none of these in stock so we were unable to actually look at it before ordering. I'm hoping the Dinette will fit two adults and two small children
Old 08-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolangelo View Post
We just got back from the dealer. All in all I think we did well. Got it with the value package, sink cover, power roof fan, outside kitchen, roof ladder, bike carrier, & enclosed underbelly. We didn't get the tv, power tongue jack, and the outside grill. Hope we don't regret skipping the power the tongue jack. Paid $16,500. Hope this was a good price. We also got the lighter, meadow microfiber interior. We didn't see the darker leatherette in person. Hope we made good choices!
You can always add an electric jack later. That being said, I can't imagine not having my electric jack now that I've used it. I thought it was just a fancy add-on until I used it a couple times. I definitely don't miss cranking a trailer up and down until I was sweaty with a tired shoulder.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolangelo View Post
Unfortunately there were none of these in stock so we were unable to actually look at it before ordering. I'm hoping the Dinette will fit two adults and two small children
The dinette is pretty small, one adult might fit okay. Two children would be a squeeze unless they are small. I believe it's the size of a single/twin bed. We use it as a bed for the dogs, and it's perfect for that purpose!

The bunks are huge for a trailer this size however. Adults can easily fit in there. My 12 yo daughter and her friend (both nearly adult sized) hung out in one of the bunks for hours.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

If you wind up needing a weight distribution hitch and sway control you might regret not having the power tongue jack. My camper is a little bigger and I use the weight distribution hitch with sway control and I can't imagine loading that hitch without a power jack.

I have a dump trailer with a very heavy tongue and it has a manual jack, due to the heavy weights involved it is geared slow and it will wear you out with a load on it. My camper is sweet, I just mash a button and load it.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #12

It's not too late! Call them and get the power jack, you won't regret it!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #13

Hitch

I didn't and up getting the power tongue jack. Maybe I will be disappointed but I guess I could always add it after. I have a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado half ton 4x4. Does anyone know if I will need an equalizer hitch or a weight distribution hitch? I don't know if they are one in the same but different people tell me different things. Does anyone have an opinion they would be willing to share? I believe the tongue weight is just under 400 pounds on this particular travel trailer