Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #21

I was able to get a "local" dealer, 150 miles from home, to basically match the price of RV Direct, saving me a 2,000+ mile round trip. The "MSRP" was listed at around $37,500 and RV Direct's price was a little over $24,000. "Local" dealer priced it at $26,200, after hearing the prices I had received. The $26,200 price was about a 31% discount from "MSRP". The $2,000 difference would have probably been eaten up by the trip and motel and food bills for the trip, so it was a no brainer at that point.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #22

As a more mature gentleman I have had the opportunity to read this argument many times in my life. "Buy cheap" vs "Buy local." In the past I have tried to go the "cheap" route and most often been satisfied. When buying cheap it is a given that the local fellow may not be anxious to offer a break on service or repair costs. In essence, you got your savings up front. Now, I am in a position where spending 10% - 25% more for an item in order to receive additional consideration down the line is of more importance to me.
I have also learned that buying local has additional benefits such as keeping a smaller local economy afloat. Allowing people who are neighbors and friends and perhaps members of our church to be employed and pay mortgages and taxes in my community. Hopefully, some of them will visit businesses in town that also depend on their purchases to survive.
I know this may sound strange to folks living in L.A. or Chicago or New York. I used to live in one of those cities when I was young. A person could live right next door to someone for years and never really get to know them.
But living in a smaller rural community has given me a bit of insight, and a sense of concern about the well being of my friends and neighbors. Personally, I would rather go to my grave a few dollars poorer but having done my bit to help my community than with a large estate that I will never enjoy.
Glen
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #23

You are a smart man Glen. I am loyal to my Jayco dealer with exception of buying two used units off craigslist but they still treated me as if I bought them from them because I was loyal to them in the past and today.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #24

Glen

All things being equal, we prefer to 'buy local' plus we prefer to buy gifts for friends and family from local artists whenever possible.

However, we felt virtually forced to buy our trailer online rather than locally due to the incompetence of the salespeople we encountered locally.

Long stories short:
One salesman was distracted and obviously DID NOT want to waste his time with us because he wanted to be with the couple that was picking up their 'high end' class-A that day.

The other salesman we liked a lot and wanted him to sell us a trailer, but he did not call us back when he said he would.. and when he finally did call (about a week late), the price he quoted us for the trailer was the MSRP! He could have given us that price that when we met with him, not a week later.

We talked to a couple of other salesmen; they weren't as bad as the ones above, but weren't much better.

Frankly, when I called the online company we bought from, I was amazed. They were professional and quoted us an excellent price on the first call. I'm not sure what I expected, but they exceeded my expectations. There was no way I was willing to part with my hard-earned money having to deal with the local jerks!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
First off welcome to the forum.

I would be sure to check with your local dealers about them doing warranty/service work on a unit that they did not sale. I am sure that they will work on it the problem is that you will probably not be very high on there priority list.
I used to work for an RV dealer in the parts dept. I recall a particular service dept. customer who proved to be 'difficult' to put it mildly. The customer purchased her 5th wheel trailer from a different dealer and wanted all the warranty work done at our dealer because we were much closer. Initially the service department devoted significant time & effort in trying to fix the customer's concerns. But eventually her demands became too much and that prompted the owner to establish a 'you want it fixed here, then you have to buy it here' policy. He had a company policy letter drafted and had it presented to her refusing to perform anymore warranty work on her unit. If she wanted repairs done there, it'd cost her the full hourly shop rate. (FWIW, warranty rates paid by manufacturers are usually less than standard shop labor rates.)

There are some people you just cannot please no matter how hard you try, this gal was the poster child. She left in a rage (she was never in a good mood), but the general feeling among everyone that worked at the dealership was good riddance.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #26

Am I to assume, from this thread, that if I purchase a camper in one area, then move to another area, that dealer will treat me like ..well not good? With people moving around the country, especially once retired, I would hope the dealers would not be so short sided. If the local Jayco dealer would not do warranty work, then, I would go direct to Jayco and ask for permission to take my business to an independent RV repair facility.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:27 AM   #27

I was thinking the same exact thing wags999. What about the thousands of customers who buy their camper in one state and for whatever reason move? Or what about folks traveling and break down on the road? I guess they better hope it doesn't happen in the same town as one of these "no buy, no service" dealers. I've read several posts claiming the dealers are independent, which I understand, and agree but has anyone on here personally had a dealer deny them service because the unit wasn't bought from them? A quick search on the web, this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #28

Bad AZ Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Glen

All things being equal, we prefer to 'buy local' plus we prefer to buy gifts for friends and family from local artists whenever possible.

However, we felt virtually forced to buy our trailer online rather than locally due to the incompetence of the salespeople we encountered locally.

Long stories short:
One salesman was distracted and obviously DID NOT want to waste his time with us because he wanted to be with the couple that was picking up their 'high end' class-A that day.

The other salesman we liked a lot and wanted him to sell us a trailer, but he did not call us back when he said he would.. and when he finally did call (about a week late), the price he quoted us for the trailer was the MSRP! He could have given us that price that when we met with him, not a week later.

We talked to a couple of other salesmen; they weren't as bad as the ones above, but weren't much better.
So, since I am also from AZ and thinking about buying a Class C, would you mind posting the dealer that you had this bad experience with so I can stay clear of it? Thanks!

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Am I to assume, from this thread, that if I purchase a camper in one area, then move to another area, that dealer will treat me like ..well not good? With people moving around the country, especially once retired, I would hope the dealers would not be so short sided. If the local Jayco dealer would not do warranty work, then, I would go direct to Jayco and ask for permission to take my business to an independent RV repair facility.
There is a huge difference in buying a unit and then moving vs totally skipping your local dealer and then expecting to be treated the same as loyal local customer.

As has been discussed before, RV dealers are not like car dealers when it comes to networking. There is also one RV manufacturer(can't remember specifics right now) who actually mentions to buy locally on their web site.

If you do have major issues getting warranty work JAYCO has worked with many customers and reimbursed them when a non dealer makes the authorized repairs.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarrin View Post
So, since I am also from AZ and thinking about buying a Class C, would you mind posting the dealer that you had this bad experience with so I can stay clear of it? Thanks!
I don't believe posting the names of those dealers would be helpful to you or anyone else and here's why:

What I posted before was 'Long Story Short.' DW and I encountered several poor salesmen (actually a couple more than that) in about 3 different dealerships. That is not to say every salesperson in every dealership is as bad; it may have been 'bad luck' or 'bad chemistry' between my DW, me, and those specific salespeople.

There have been several people here that have posted the name of online dealers where they bought their units. I could do that, but our purhcase story isn't over yet. After we pick up our trailer in Middlebury, IN later this month (weather permitting ). Then we will have the full story of that dealer, the trailer, the PDI, etc. Until then, all we really have is a good feeling about them and the feeling the rest of the purchase will be just as smooth and professional as the beginning.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #31

I bought my trailer from RV express and drove from Dallas to Middlebury Indiana to pick it up. It was last June, the same week we had that weird unseasonal cool weather. We really only saved about 2000 buying online but we did get the priviledge of ordering exactly what we wanted. It is a slight hassle to make sure that the RV seller agrees to include your state taxes so that you can get your title and license. But overall, my wife and I loved the trip to Indiana. We got to see the Amish and their horse drawn buggies. We took a side trip to see Notre Dame, and we rode a canoe down a river in Missouri. It was worth the extra cash just to go somewhere new. The people at Indiana express (actually RV express) treated us fairly, but I could tell that once the sale was made, we were never going to be best friends. I think the same goes for local dealers. There not really worried about how pleased you are once they get the cash in hand.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
I've read several posts claiming the dealers are independent, which I understand, and agree but has anyone on here personally had a dealer deny them service because the unit wasn't bought from them?
Yes. We bought our first TT (used, non-Jayco) from the local Jayco dealer. When we were ready to upgrade they wanted darn near full MSRP for a unit they had on the lot which was not equipped the way we wanted it. We even tried dealing with our salesperson from the first purchase. His response when we tried to negotiate was 'well I can't just give them away!' With that we left and started looking on line. We eventualy ordered what we wanted from a Jayco/RV Expess dealer about 130 miles away and were pleased with the deal we got. Fast forward a few months. We need some warranty work done so I called the local Jayco dealer and after I explained what I needed I was asked if we had bought the trailer from them. When the lady heard we had not she politely told me to take it back where we bought it, they were very busy and did not have the time to work on trailers not purchased from them. So, again, the answer is yes. It happens.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #33

Russ661,

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune in dealing with that dealership. For my own peace of mind I just called the 3 closest Jayco dealers to me and received the following regarding them doing warranty work on units that were not purchased from them.

Dealer 1- Will do the work, however, customers who purchase from them will receive "priority treatment" and the customer has to pay the difference between their shop rate, and the rate Jayco reimburses.
Dealer 2- Said the same thing regarding anyone who bought from them would get pushed to the front of the line but they have no problem doing work regardless where the camper was purchased.
Dealer 3- Has the same policy as Dealer 2, but due to them having a smaller lot, which I have bought parts from them in the past and their "service lot" might have room for 3 or 4 campers, unless it is an emergency situation, they require calling to book an appointment before dropping off. The Receptionist indicated that appointments are booked on a first come, first served basis.
I'm hopeful that I don't need to have any warranty work completed this year, but it's comforting to know that if I do, I shouldn't have too many problems getting it done.

Jrmay
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #34

If I brought my trailer in on Monday for service, and another party brought theirs on Thursday and (because he had bought his trailer from that dealership), he got put in front of me, I better not find out about it. Chances are my blood pressure would rise to a new level and I would storm the fort. Before its over, everyone in the building would know about my problem. I have a way of being very loud when I get mad.

When you are in business, you cannot just make distinctions of who you want to serve and who you don't.
Sometimes you have to be an a$$ to deal with another one.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #35

Only one local Jayco dealer close to me and I wouldn't let them work on my trailer let alone buy one from them. We put down a deposit at the Baltimore RV show in 2013 for a specifically equipped trailer. When we went to there lot to do the paperwork they tried selling is another trailer with less options without telling us for the same price. At that point I didn't trust them and we canceled our order. Long story short the sales manager was rude to my wife over the phone and it took 6 weeks for us to get our deposit back.

I went to keystone rv in pa, 2hrs away, and got the same trailer with more options than the original and saved 4 grand... I would go to them or rvdirect, sister in law used them, before the local guy. Now if I had a good local guy I would feel different....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post

When you are in business, you cannot just make distinctions of who you want to serve and who you don't.
Sometimes you have to be an a$$ to deal with another one.
When it comes to RV warranty work they can and some do. They are not networked like an auto dealership.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #37

Not to get political, but, it's ok to discriminate if your an RV dealer, but not if your a baker? Ummm.

And, how would they know if I moved here or lived here for years ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #38

I just had to make this decision. I wanted to buy local but no one has had a Jayco Octane 222 in stock since I started looking in January. I went to an RV show first of Feb and the local dealer said it would be another month before they got some in. I gave him my phone number and talked to him twice on two different days. No word from them yet. I looked at other brands but not one had everything I wanted and they weren't moving on the "show" prices either.

My boyfriend lives in Muskegon and saw one at a dealer there so he stopped and got a quote for me. MSRP was $29,000+ and the quote was for $19900. It had a powerbed, fuel station, the screen in the back. So I bought it. He picked it up for me today and will be driving it down this weekend if the weather cooperates. I feel I got a much better deal than the "show" prices on other brands that didn't have everything I was looking for.

If the local dealers won't work on warranty issues I will make a list and take it to MI to get it fixed, he travels back and forth all the time. I also feel like he got me a better deal than I ever could of. The salesman here (except for one who went out of his way for me but just didn't have anything I liked) really just didn't think I was a serious buyer or were waiting for my hubby to show up. But that's another issue.

okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #39

We bought local BUT purchased through Costco ... and as it turned-out, Costco's local RV broker (they handle the Costco 'rates' and track-down the vehicle you spec-out) happened to be located with the local dealership that sells many different lines in addition to Jayco! Very happy - got the perfect TT at Costco price AND with the dealer commitment and support (we've had a few warranty issues they had to fix).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
We bought local BUT purchased through Costco ... and as it turned-out, Costco's local RV broker (they handle the Costco 'rates' and track-down the vehicle you spec-out) happened to be located with the local dealership that sells many different lines in addition to Jayco! Very happy - got the perfect TT at Costco price AND with the dealer commitment and support (we've had a few warranty issues they had to fix).
Is this something that Costco only does regionally? I've looked on their website and can't find anything about purchasing RV's...just cars, boats and ATV's...I found the loan's offered for RV's, but no purchase? I'm just curious because I love everything Costco!

Dan

Tags
discount, online dealer, price, purchase