Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Buying out of state

We currently own a 24T but are looking at purchasing a29rlds or 305rls. The 29rlds is out of state. Having never purchased out of state we are concerned about what happens if warranty work is needed. We have heard that its not as easy to get warranty work done at other dealers as it is for automotive work. We are curious how Jayco handles it??

Also, we assume that the dealer will know how to handle us being out of state. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks!
eggs454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

We live in Canada and buy in the US. Jayco told me their warranty is North American wide. My local dealer in Canada said he would not service my unit if I purchased in the US. Jayco said they would and if there was an issue they could authorize an independent to do the work. We will not purchase in Canada again till the prices drop to a comparable level.
2011 Silverado LTZ 6.2L Max Tow Package
scalemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #3

I could have saved $500-600 US when I purchased my Designer by buying out of state, but I would have spent that much going to get it and bring it home. Buying locally has allowed me to have warranty service performed while on my home base site. The dealer comes to me to do the work and yes I do tip the service manager that does the work. I would spend more than the tip amount in fuel to tow to the dealership not to mention having to unhook my utilities and hook up. Buying locally is worth a lot to me, of course this depending on having a local dealer that goes above and beyond as I have.

Another reason to buy locally is if you have the Jayco extended warranty. Yes I know an outside company actually administers it for Jayco, but if you have work done under this extended warranty the deductible is $100.00. If you have the work done at the original selling dealer the deductible is $75.00. I have enjoyed this $75.00 deductible several times most recently last week.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #4

Thanks! We loved the dealer that we purchased our first TT from, but we contemplated about what we wanted so long that that what we want is now a discontinued model that is only available out of state.

We were curious to see if anyone had had any luck with getting a local dealer to do warranty. I think it's really interesting as I am a Chevy tech and we have to do outside warranty work.
eggs454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #5

We purchased our Greyhawk in Mesa, Az. We live in southeastern NC. I'm a firm believer in buying local. However, we bought out of state because the Az dealer had the unit we wanted in stock. I have taken our unit to the nearest Jayco dealer (60 miles) for some warranty work. The local Jayco dealer worked my unit in but understandably worked on units that customers had purchased from them first. I have no problem with that policy. But as I understand it, any Jayco dealer will do your warranty work regardless of where you purchase. Jayco pays the dealer for the warranty work. You might have to wait a little longer on the work to be completed but you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck to you!