Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

CA to Yellowstone

We are planning a trip from Northern California (SF Bay Area sort of) to Yellowstone. Any tips on route, places to stop, campgrounds along the way, etc. would be great. We are planning on 12 days for the full trip. We have some ideas of timing and places for overnights, but I'd really like to hear from the experts who have done this (or similar) route before. Also, what are your thoughts on the return route? Just backtrack the same way we got there or take a different route for different scenery/experience? Family of four (kids 7 and 9) in our 23MB.
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #2

I don't have any great ideas for your trip out, but I would suggest that you return by going down through Grand Teton, spending a couple of days there to take in the beauty of that park as well. Take a cruise on Jackson Lake, maybe even a lunch or dinner cruise. Then you could go out through Jackson Hole, drop down to I-80 and make your way back west. Yellowstone is a wonderful place to spend time and has tons of features as well as some great hiking, just be sure to bring bear spray if you hike. Get up early to drive around and watch for wildlife as that is when they are usually out and about as well. Have a great trip.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

Are you planning to camp in Yellowstone park itself? If so, keep in mind that going elsewhere to Grand Teton and Jackson Hole would be about 50 miles each way--if you're camping on the South end of the park. I would have to say that one should not miss visiting the Grand Teton, as it is breathtaking and beautiful! We also did a white water rafting trip in Jackson Hole, which was worth every penny! Others may also suggest you buy a can of Bear spray while camping in the park. But, I think the Ranger has a program, where you can 'rent' a can, which is returnable if you don't use it. Remember to take lots of videos and pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
We are planning a trip from Northern California (SF Bay Area sort of) to Yellowstone. Any tips on route, places to stop, campgrounds along the way, etc. would be great. We are planning on 12 days for the full trip. We have some ideas of timing and places for overnights, but I'd really like to hear from the experts who have done this (or similar) route before. Also, what are your thoughts on the return route? Just backtrack the same way we got there or take a different route for different scenery/experience? Family of four (kids 7 and 9) in our 23MB.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

i highly recommend going back through the grand tetons and Jackson Hole, WY. we did that trip 2 years agoa nd its awesome. Plan to do it again this year.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

I might suggest going north to Portland, then east on I-84. You could continue east or branch off north to Spokane, WA and then east on I-90. Freeway most of the way and you will see some mighty pretty country. I live in north Idaho and grew up in Montana so have covered pretty much all of the area. Bozeman, Montana is a nice city and driving the Gallitin Canyon is a great introduction to Yellowstone Park. You can also go over the Bozeman pass to Livingston and then to the Gardner entrance to Yellowstone. Lots of campgrounds along the way. Have fun

Jayco X213
2012 Chevy Traverse
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Jarm2 is offline   Reply With Quote