Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #1

Cabinet Door Screw Repair

After a few trips out this year, I discovered that almost all the cabinet door screws were stripped out. I really don't want to waste a 100 mile trip to the dealer to get it fixed since its a simple repair.

My big question is what kind of glue to use on the match sticks for the fix. Normally, I would use Elmer's Wood glue and put it on a match stick and put it in the hole. Now there is Guerrilla glue that will expand in the hole and make a better bond. My only question is will the screws be able to cut through it if needed when I re install, or would I be better off sticking to traditional wood glue for the fix.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

screw repair

I normally don't use any glue. I just use a tooth pick which is tapered stick it in the hole and reinsert the screw. Never had a problem of the screw loosening up again. I hope this helps
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #3

Most people don't realize the strength of Elmers Wood glue. If used correctly it will exceed the strenght of the wood. It will produce a bond that is in excess of 3500 PSI on hard maple. That is true of most white or yellow wood glues (PVA). They are amazing, inexpensive and easy to use. However, I would agree with RickAE, you really don't need any adhesive, just insert the tooth pick or match and the tapered screw will create the force necessary to make the repair hold.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #4

I simply used longer screws that go into fresh wood like should have been done at manufacturing. If you can't find the dark colored ones, use a sharpie to paint the heads. It will be dark enough that you won't notice it. Another way is to use machine screws, drill through the lip of the cabinet and secure it with a small washer and nut. There's plenty of room to do that and it won't be seen, and will never pull loose. Look at everything in your trailer and ask yourself, "What can go wrong with that", and then reinforce it. I also rebuilt all of my drawer supports with thicker pieces of plywood and screws to replace the scraps of Luan and staples that was used at the factory. I'm pretty confident that when I get to the CG(or back home), I'm not going to have to put stuff back together.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

Another way for a more permanent repair is to drill out the old hole to the nearest standard size (3/16, 1/4, or 5/16, then insert a dab of wood glue and push in a round dowel (available at most hardware stores) of the appropriate size. Let dry a half hour or so, and then cut off the dowel flush with the surface. You now have a brand new piece of wood to drill and insert your screw.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

Lots of good ideas here but I have to admit that I use Rick's 99% of the time. One thing I always have in the RV is toothpicks. Used them on two of the four screws holding my a/c cover on the ceiling of my 5er a couple years ago....and they are still holding.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #7

I may be overkill, but ran into the same problem. My solution was to completely remove the hinges, fill the holes with Liquid Nail, once it dried I redrilled a new slighly larger pilot hole and used a new 3/16x1/2" screw in each new hole. SO far everything has stayed good and tight.
Garyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

I use the toothpick method, but one time when I didn't have any toothpicks I used Teflon tape. It worked.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #9

I had to repair an overhead cabinet where the hinge had seized open and gouged the wood. I used this wood filler for dark wood and you can not even tell where the repair was done. It turned out great.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...8&site=ROCKLER

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Thanks for all the ideas. I really should not have to use larger screws, I just need to fix the hole where they go in, and not screw them in too hard and stock screws should be fine. Toothpicks will work if the hole is small enough. I know for sure that a couple are match stick size that the hinge pulled out totally while driving home. Either way, I am not going to waste gas and time on a simple installation mistake from the factory.