Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Cable TV Woes

We're on our first trip with our 2016 Alante and are having picture issues with our Furrion TVs (2). We hooked up to the cable feed upon arrival but our picture is very poor, like it is receiving a weak signal. That's not the case though as a master electrician measured the input and it was excellent. I've hand tightened the connections I can reach to no avail..

Any thoughts from my Jayco friends?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

Did you make sure the antenna booster is turned off? You need it on for OTA broadcasts but off for cable.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #3

Check that the antenna amplifier/booster is turned off. You don't need it when connected to cable. We had the same issue until someone showed me how to turn it off. Follow the coaxial from the TV to the wall. On ours, there was a green light with a little button type switch (by the light on the wall next to the cd/dvd player). Push in the button to turn off the light and the amplifier. Hope this helps with your issue.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

The booster/amplifier green light is off.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Team

If you have enough COAX cable, run it directly from the CG cable connection to the back of the TV. This will eliminate any TT wiring issues (if there are any). If need be, open a window take the screen out and feed the cable through there.

I had to do this at a CG because the signal was bad. The CABLE company opened the connection box and every connection was covered in mold and oxidized. They ran a temp COAX... problem was resolved.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

I had a similar issue on a previous RV. I ended up with a cable booster in the compartment with the connection. I went post to booster to RV. It was easiest solution to make it watchable in short order. Fixing the interval wiring is obviously the better way to go about it. The way I confirmed it was internal wiring is by using a coax cable from the back of my DVD player and feeding that into the RV, and then checking the quality difference from the park cable. (Coax out on the DVD should indicate how long ago this was). In the end I just opted for satellite since I know it just works regardless of where I am. The booster improved the signal but it was still far from ideal.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #7

In general, I haven't had real good luck with the cable TV in RV parks. I believe that they have weak signals due to too many splits.

I take my tailgater with me everywhere I go.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #8

In addition of having the OTA ANTENNA Panel small LED light OFF you also have to make sure your TV menu has the CABLE selected and not ANTENNA. You also have to run the TV scan for stations at every different place you stop at...

Some of the camp grounds are now finally going to the DIGITAL TV SIGNALS on the cable hookup ports at the pedestals. You have to be using the late model HDTV monitors to pick up these digital HDTV channels...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If you have enough COAX cable, run it directly from the CG cable connection to the back of the TV. This will eliminate any TT wiring issues (if there are any). If need be, open a window take the screen out and feed the cable through there.

I had to do this at a CG because the signal was bad. The CABLE company opened the connection box and every connection was covered in mold and oxidized. They ran a temp COAX... problem was resolved.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Don, the space between the tv and bracket isn't wide enough to get my fingers to the connection. Great idea though, thanks.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayne View Post
I had a similar issue on a previous RV. I ended up with a cable booster in the compartment with the connection. I went post to booster to RV. It was easiest solution to make it watchable in short order. Fixing the interval wiring is obviously the better way to go about it. The way I confirmed it was internal wiring is by using a coax cable from the back of my DVD player and feeding that into the RV, and then checking the quality difference from the park cable. (Coax out on the DVD should indicate how long ago this was). In the end I just opted for satellite since I know it just works regardless of where I am. The booster improved the signal but it was still far from ideal.
Thanks Ray.. solidly thinking satellite!