Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Camper Broken in to

Just discovered today thanks to my granddaughter bringing me a piece of cut screen from the yard, that some degenerate piece of scum decided to break into the small window above the sink on my 2013 Jayco Whitehawk. Now I am not too sure that anyone but a small child can fit through that window. But someone sure as hell managed to get in there. Ripped my tv from the wall ans stole it. They broke the cabinets below it trying to get to the power cord for the TV. They also ripped the stereo from the cabinet, and cut all the wires. but left it behind. Either they were spooked by something or decided they didnt have enough room in my pillow case that they stole to take all the kids movies in. Just gets me that some people work hard for their toys, all to have some piece of **** break in, and ruin stuff all for a $200 TV. At christmas time too. This all happened some time betweem christmas day and today when we discovered it. Debating on filing it on insurance or just fixing it ourselves. Any suggestions?
medicman4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

If total cost to you isn't more than a few times the deductible, I probably wouldn't claim it on my insurance. No reason to let your insurance company know you're a "risk". If you claim, your rates might go up, and the claim will be known to any other insurance co's you eventually use.

Sorry for your loss. Too bad some people are jerks.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

I would make sure I made a police report about it, they probably won't find the guilty party, but still I would notify the police
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
I would make sure I made a police report about it, they probably won't find the guilty party, but still I would notify the police
Yes...please make the police report at a minimum. If you still have it, the serial number will be listed in the owners manual. That way if the pawn it, you have a chance at recovering it.

Dan
Old 01-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #5

Camper Broken in to

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
x2

Sometimes the evidence can help the police even if they don't catch them this time.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Does your house have an alarm system? If so you can order a motion sensor and put it in the TT, if it is not to far from the house. Mine is good for about 100'. Motion sensor lights are good, but if they did it during the day, they would be useless.

SimpliSafe allows me to set up the motion and door/window sensors as either an alarm or alert. I have my gates set up as an alert and I get a text message they are opened. Does not activate the alarm.

Just a thought,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Based on what you describe, sounds like you have substantially more than your comprehensive deductible in damages. Especially if rewiring to the speakers is necessary since the wires were cut.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #8

Well i filed a police report and got a case number. Gave them the model number off the tv but the serial number wasnt listed in the booklet. I mean really its a cheap tv. But it looks like now we will be purchasing some kind of magnetic sensors for the doors and windows to at least scare someone away should they try this again. Not to mention a new tv with a quick disconnect mount to be able to bring the tv in the house when it is being stored. My question is if they are brazen enough to do this on a corner lot with a street light right in front of the camper, whats next the house? I sure would hate to have to shoot someone but if it comes down to me, my family, or my property the thief is going to lose. Oh well lessons learned on this one. Just picking up the pieces and trying to figure out the wiring. I doubt I will file on my insurance since I have a $500 Deductible, and just take my losses. Just hope everything works as it did prior to this scumbag taking what was not his, or hers for that matter since the window was so small that it either had to be a kid or a really small framed woman. Anyone every have any experience with the magnet alarms? Are they loud enough to be able to hear from a distance away?
medicman4877 is offline   Reply With Quote