Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

Campers' barking dogs WOOF WOOF YAP YAP

You know the situation. Campground rules say "excessively barking dogs not permitted." And yet, we seem to attract big and small barking mutts as neighbors.

Before I go Korean and cook up some Kaygogi, please offer your solutions.

Caveat: I know JOF members are much too considerate to let their "fur children" bark all day or all night.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Site Team

If the campground does not enforce it's own rules, I would just post something on RVpark reviews and mark it off my list of favorites.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

This past trip to 1000 Islands we had one group of neighbors that played beer pong until 10:30 pm, then the group next door started arguing really loud with lots of profanity. I walked over and asked them to tone it down and they did and one of the group left. However, they also had an led strip under their awning that changed colors every few seconds that was really bright. At about 3:00 a.m. they turned the led strip to strobe mode and started karaoke. Thank goodness it rained Sunday morning and they left early.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

We call excessively barking dogs Farfel, after the Seinfeld episode. But if the dog is barking past annoyance levels, we'd get a site number and inform the campground host or park attendants. It's their job to deal with it.

One time a number of years ago I was doing some solo camping with our dearly departed husky. Someone else in the same loop was letting their dogs roam free. The campground attendant came around and asked me about it. The conversation whent something like this:

CA: "Did you see some dogs running around?"
Me: "Yes, I think they belong over there."
CA: "They're not your dogs?"
Me: (knowing full well the permit said 1 person 1 dog) "No, I think they're from that site over there."
CA: "Dogs have to be leashed at all times."
Me: (looking at my dog securely tied to a tree) "Okay."

We're fortunate enough that, strangely, our dog doesn't bark when she's outside. Even our neighbours, who have a yappy little Shih Tzu, have commented on how quiet she is. The only time I heard her bark outside was when I was moving around on the other side of the fence and she didn't know it was me.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
You know the situation. Campground rules say "excessively barking dogs not permitted." And yet, we seem to attract big and small barking mutts as neighbors.

Before I go Korean and cook up some Kaygogi, please offer your solutions.

Caveat: I know JOF members are much too considerate to let their "fur children" bark all day or all night.
It all starts with YOU.. did you complain to park management? If not how would they know it is bothering anyone?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

I've never been bothered by barking dogs. What does irk me are loud groups watching some big game on an outdoor screen. Are you one of those?
Old 08-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #7

Not sure I know the situation. Some people seem to think a dog uttering any sound is excessive, whereas others consider a dog barking 24 hours a day to be normal. You didn't offer any indication of what this dog was doing.

If a dog is barking nonstop, did you go talk to the campers at that site? Did you move up to mgmt if your initial inquiry didn't resolve the issue? Did you ask to be moved if mgmt did nothing to stop the dog from barking?

I have dogs. They bark when people cut through our site. They bark when people walk their dogs nearby. Anytime my dogs are outside, so am I. If my dogs bark, I quiet them. However if people are constantly cutting through my site or constantly parking their dogs just outside of my site, the dogs will continue to bark.

I also have a 2 year old and 4 year old... they make noise too.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

My dogs bark some but that's normal for dogs. They don't hold a candle to a group of kids playing together. But I like kids so that doesn't bother me one bit.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Site Team

My dogs bark every time someone walks thru my site and that's good. I'm talking about those that leave them in the camper for the days activities in a rv park and they bark their brains for hours even when there is no reason. I have mentioned it to the owners when they return. If the cg has rules and they don't enforce them that's sad.

We are dog people and have always traveled with at least two. They have to be trained to behave if they are out in public.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #10

I have a neighbor who's dog barks non stop all summer long while trapped in a 3 season porch. It drives me nuts to the point of me calling the city animal department to file a complaint. I also spoke to the owner on a number of occasions who apologizes but does nothing about it. Neither did the city. I loathe bad dog owners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

We are dog people and have always traveled with at least two. They have to be trained to behave if they are out in public.
I think THIS is exactly where many folks fall short...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I think THIS is exactly where many folks fall short...

Goes back to self-centered people that have no respect for anyone else. The very same people that demand respect but give nothing in return...
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #13

My Siberian Husky is a talker, he doesn't bark like normal dogs but he does try to participate in conversation. I'm hyper-sensitive to his potential impact on our neighbors and if he's having a conversation with a squirrel that I think is getting out of hand, I step in.

My first course of action if I had an unreasonably loud pet in the spot next to me would be to talk to them. "Is there anything you can do about your dog? It's all we can hear over here".

If that isn't an option, take it to the camp host if you have one, or call the ranger station. I have been compelled to call the police more than once, but that is very rare and usually involves illegal and dangerous (to us) activity when it has happened... i.e. wasted on booze, building bonfires in a small fire ring, dancing around with loaded shotguns while yelling like drunks do kind of stuff) I always try to go with option 1 first because depending on how long you are staying in that spot, you'll have to deal with their presence for a while. Getting anything resembling law enforcement involved and it just makes things a little more tense than usual.

If the dog is barking because something is potentially wrong with it... i.e. they tied it up to the picnic table and left for the day, I go immediately to option 2. No tolerance for bad pet owners.

My problems in a tight campgrounds are usually related to excessively loud humans, their generators, music etc... I like dogs more than most people though, so that might explain some of it. As luck would have it, the same 2 options apply for them.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #14

True story.....

Where I live, I have neighbors that have dogs all around me. Dogs to the left, dogs to the right, dogs behind us. When one dog starts barking, they all are barking. Annoying to say the least. And if we have company over, forget about trying to carry a conversation with them.We don't have dogs, mainly because we don't like the messes they make. And I'll be darned if I'm gonna carry a baggie to pick up poop!

Anyway, back to the story. I have a 4 year old grandson and he had a problem with pronouncing his "B"s, it would come out like the letter "F". So while he was visiting mamaw and papaw, we go out to the back deck and the chorus of barking dogs started up. The grandson looks at me and says "Papaw, why are those dogs farking?" I said, I don't know. But I say that every time I go outside, those farkin' dogs!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote