Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Camping in Wind and Rain

So, we tried for two months to buy our trailer during drought conditions here in Oregon. Wouldn't you know that the first weekend we have it and have a campground reservation, a big storm is rolling in. Pretty continuous rain and winds 20-30mph are forecasted. Actually the rain is a good thing, we REALLY need it here with all the wildfires.

My question is this - would you all still go? I love the rain, and I'm looking forward to being cozy in the trailer while hearing it ping on the roof. But I can't shake the feeling that a trailer is like a fragile dollhouse and that it might not hold up to the rain well.

Do you guys go anyway? I'm also a little concerned about towing in the rain and wind - but Mr. Llilith is a good driver with towing experience.

Maybe this is a good chance to put the trailer thru it's paces and make sure there are no leaks, ect.

Any words of advice for camping in wind and rain - as far as protecting the trailer and what not to do? I figure no awning out is obvious for starters.

2015 Ram 1500 w/ a crew cab for the pugs.
2016 Springdale 179QBWE (I tried to buy a Jayco, I really did!)
llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

The trailer will do just fine. I also love being inside the trailer during a rainstorm and hearing the ping from the drops. Regarding driving in the rain, just take your time. Don't rush and you will be fine. Have fun and enjoy the new trailer!

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Love being in the TT with the rain and wind - except for 2 things:
1) walking the dog
2) set-up/take-down during a downpour
BTW, you gotta have these ponchos!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Love being in the TT with the rain and wind - except for 2 things:
1) walking the dog
2) set-up/take-down during a downpour
BTW, you gotta have these ponchos!
That's a stylish poncho right there! I'll have to order us some.
:-)

Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by llilith View Post
That's a stylish poncho right there! I'll have to order us some. :-)
We thought they were mighty ugly, but couldn't beat the price. Go figure 'cuz EVERY time we wear them we get compliments and inquiries on how to buy them. Must say, stylish they're not but they are heavy-duty and really do the job in keeping us dry!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Team

Rain does not cancel our trips but high wind can cause a change ion plans. As stated, dog walking is the main concern. Good time to catch up on reading, games and DVD's. I did invest in a good pair of Duck shoes to keep feet dry.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

Love camping in the rain, love hearing the wind and rain howl as we are snuggly in our camper reading a good book. Yes, the setup and tear down are a little problem, but so worth the relaxing sound of the wind and rain. I would go in a heart beat
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by llilith View Post
Any words of advice for camping in wind and rain - as far as protecting the trailer and what not to do? I figure no awning out is obvious for starters.
Make sure you either have (full) hook-ups AND/OR your propane is full and your batteries charged. It is likely you'll be running your lights and furnace more than normal. Case-in-point, February 3-day camping trip to the beach with no hook-ups ... rain and wind and cold ... batteries ran down to the point the alarm went off Sunday morning at 5:30am! We're cold, wet, and hungry (couldn't even make coffee) so we just packed-up and headed home ~ only 45 minutes away. Learned our lesson, bought 2 generators so we could at least charge the batteries during the day.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Personally I would go, especially if you have experience with trailers or an easy site to get in and out of. First year we had our HTT, it rained every single weekend we went out. Sometimes nothing more than a few drops, to heavy downpours. We commented many times that the HTT, was so much nicer than sitting in a wet tent all day.

If it is your first time backing into a campsite, one of you will get wet, so bring a good umbrella or rain gear. Cell phones on speaker work really nice to communicate. Just remember when backing up the long trailers they react really slow, so plan ahead where you want it and start signaling to the driver before it’s too late. The first few times learning to back into a tighter space can be a bit of a challenge, and the rain will make it a bit harder. I have been known to park in our site during rain jump into the camper and sit back, relax. Once the rain subsides, then finish leveling and unhooking.

If it is not terribly windy I have been known to site under the awning and watch the campfire from a distance, nothing more relaxing.

Also when the weather looks a bit gloomy we will bring a few extra cloths along and go for hikes in the lighter rain. Usually, there is a lot more to see, and less people out. If I was in a tent, I would want to stay as dry as possible.

If it is going to be cold and you have an electric site, a small electric ceramic heater is really nice. Takes the chill out of the air and you do not use your propane.

Have Fun!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

We almost always get rain. We're famous for it, and if I were a gamblin' man, I'd bet on rain if we're out camping. People have asked us to camp in their yard so it'll rain. If I wash my truck AND go camping? Forget about it, may as well pack extra rain gear!

So no, we don't let rain stop us. We keep rain gear and board games in the trailer permanently. Wind is a different animal. If sustained winds are over 20 mph, we start thinking about calling it. Gusts up over 30 or 40 and we're staying put most of the time.

No better than a shakedown trip for rainy weather; get your "worst case" testing out of the way and it'll make every other trip seem easy!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #11

I am sitting in Gold Beach Oregon on the coast and have no plans to move or leave. We are waiting in anticipation for the storm. Should be fun! Come on out
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #12

We still go. But I have to say, next week, Erika seems to be moving up the coast and we're scheduled to go back to Castaways next weekend. Will have to make an executive call on that sometime next week!

And just fyi..
ALL of our camping friends call our family The Schleprocks! It ALWAYS rains when we go it seems!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #13

Your TT will handle the rain just fine, especially if you have full hookups so you don't have to worry about battery(ies) being able to support the furnace and additional time spent inside with lights, radio, TV etc on.

I would suggest you enusre you have MaxAir vent covers installed before the trip. Its a pretty easy DIY or most dealers will do it pretty reasonably. The vent covers will allow you to keep roof vents open in during the rain with no risk of water coming it. It is essential to reduce considensation on the inside with the furnace running.

Also, make you have a woven patio mat that water can run through. It will help keep mud out of your TT.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #14

I'm with Camper Bob...it just seems to rain nearly every time we go camping. I would not cancel a trip because of rain and 20-30 mph winds are not that much. Just make sure your awning is not out in those winds. The last time were were out, I help a guy in a class A take his awning off after a wind gust caught it and damaged it beyond repair...we had blue skies but a thunderstorm was approaching and the wind caught most people off guard. x2 on the MaxAir covers
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
I am sitting in Gold Beach Oregon on the coast and have no plans to move or leave. We are waiting in anticipation for the storm. Should be fun! Come on out
We are going to be in Depot Bay. :-)

Old 08-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Your TT will handle the rain just fine, especially if you have full hookups so you don't have to worry about battery(ies) being able to support the furnace and additional time spent inside with lights, radio, TV etc on.

I would suggest you enusre you have MaxAir vent covers installed before the trip. Its a pretty easy DIY or most dealers will do it pretty reasonably. The vent covers will allow you to keep roof vents open in during the rain with no risk of water coming it. It is essential to reduce considensation on the inside with the furnace running.

Also, make you have a woven patio mat that water can run through. It will help keep mud out of your TT.
Well this is cool - the MaxAir vent cover And the woven mat just arrived from Amazon yesterday. Hubby will install the cover tonight.

We will be doing full hookup so that's one less worry for the first time out.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #17

Our old trailer had a manual awning, so we weren't afraid to leave the awning out in the rain and sit below it and watch the storms. Our new trailer has an electric awning, so we don't leave it out. The new trailer also has a slide out, so there is room for the wife and I and our daughter and son inside when it rains. That's when we pull out games for the kiddos, or a family friendly movie to watch.

Your trailer will be just fine in a storm, no different than when its parked on the lot at the dealer and it storms.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #18

We have a pop up, and went for a week to Winchester Bay. Three of those days was a wild rain storm with 40 mph winds, we had a blast, warm and dry. We would do it again.
lisap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #19

Thanks you guys! I really like this forum. I'll report back on Monday and let you all know how it went. Oh, and after reading some of the comments, I guess we need more than one of those max air vents eventually. One will have to do for now. :-)

Happy weekend everyone.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #20

Heck yeah, go for it. Being dry and warm during a rainstorm while camping makes you feel like you succeeded at life. Drive safe and enjoy the voyage.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote