Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Camping with a toddler

Take Benadryl just in case they are allergic to something unexpected. Also some wasp spray and or traps may come in handy in case the bees are in full force.

Yellow Jackets and manual awnings are my nemesis...

Great that you're having them camp early in their life... Lucky kid!

2017 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed w/6.7 CTD & Aisin
2015 Eagle 284BHBE Premier
milw156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
I second the use of a life jacket around water. We took our son tent camping shortly before his 2nd birthday and he ran down an embankment and into a cold lake. Luckily the water was rather shallow and I grabbed him before he could go any farther.

2013 26BH ghetto model w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser

I have a fever...and the only cure is more camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
last year we went camping with our 3YO and there were ground bees in full attack mode...several kids were attacked...me and her were walking to the bathroom and were attacked luckily only got 2 stings myself and she got one on her head and she was not allergic...but our neighbor campers had some bee sting stuff and it was a blessing...i am going to get the bee sting kit this year when we go just in case

and some benzocaine http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Kill-Disposable-Swabs-5-Ea/dp/B000GCPWSC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367884852&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bee+sting
Jones Family :hello:

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have two major concerns with the kids, no matter what age. They are playing around the fire pit. I do not allow it at all, even when there is no fire as you never know if it is still hot, from an earlier fire. The other is being out on a dock. My son is a fabulous swimmer, but swimming in cloths is different than in trunks.

I have one more item that concerns me. When I am backing up, I have a lot of blind spots, until this year (I think). All kids and pets have to say in the truck. My rule is if you cannot see my face in the mirror I cannot see you, and I stop the TV. This goes for the DW too.

I may take a little flack for this, but in my opinion let them get their bumps and bruises, and being a little scare from them thinking you are out of sight (you are watching them thou), it will teach them a lot.
You can't ever be too safe when it comes to kids. I too leave mine buckled in the truck until it is set with tire chocks. Then my wife will take them to the playground while I set up, this way there is no chance for any mishaps.

X2 on life jackets.

Now when it comes to your camper you should also consider a few things. The screen door will not support weight pushing on it and you should consider a pet screen addition to the bottom panel and a dead bolt or hook and eye latch to keep from the accidental falls that could occur when they push on the screen door.

I put cut noodle pieces on all my slide corners to prevent kids and adults from hitting them too. Depending on the site my bed slide has made me see stars on more than one occasion.

Also go through your camper on your hands and knees to see where there are possible safety issues. Consider removing the oven and stove knobs or keep a watchful eye on them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
I take my little ones. I look for sites without slopes, otherwise, the slopes will keep you more than busy. I had lowes cut plexiglass to fit the bottom of the screen door and attached with double sided tape. Step stool for the sinks, bike or tricycle with rope (use to pull up hills). My screen door latch is secure, but my older one has already figured out how to open the door, so another lock higher is a great idea. I bring lots of bubbles and glow in the dark sticks for night. Otherwise, close to the playground for the short energy bursts. I put mine to work (after the trailer and truck are secured) as much as possible. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but are entertained for a little while. I bought seats for everyone, but have yet to use them. It is a blast to see it through their eyes. 1x2 made into short railing helps them up the steps. You can secure with clamps and does not take much space.
2012 267 BHS
2010 Ford F350 6.4L Diesel:D
ksignoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
I'm not sure I understand this thread. How is camping with kids different from living at home with kids? They require attention at both places.

Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
Originally Posted by ksignoles View Post
I put mine to work (after the trailer and truck are secured) as much as possible. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but are entertained for a little while.
This is what I do with little ones of our friends. My baby is 16 now! When I help buddies out who have little ones, I give the kids random jobs to keep them busy. Kids will move wood blocks all day if you let them! Have them carry a block or lynx leveler to where you are setting up the stabilizer and then have them carry another one to the next corner. In the end you have them pick them all up and put back in storage. The kids think they are helping and that is good for them.

Another option is to camp with friends who can help watch the little ones. We camp with a younger couple who have a 2 yo outdoors boy and my wife and I will take him for walks or to the play ground while mom and dad finish setting up or need a little quiet time. We get our "grand parent" fix and can return in a little while. We all watch the little guy around the fire and still can enjoy ourselves.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH traded in
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7, 6 speed 4.30 gears
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I'm not sure I understand this thread. How is camping with kids different from living at home with kids? They require attention at both places.

I would say the difference is the amount of attention required. For example, when at home, I've baby proofed most of the main floor so I feel comfortable letting my 2 year old run free. It's a little harder to baby proof a campground. We're very excited to get back into camping. In the past with no kids We would spend the entire time relaxing, taking naps in a hammock, and doing what we wanted to do. It will be a little different now. I just want to do what I can to make it an enjoyable experience for the family so we don't end up going only once or twice per year because of the hassle. I've gotten some great tips on this thread! If all else fails, the kids eventually go to bed so that will be the time to relax!

2013 Jayco JayFlight 26BH
2013 Toyota Tacoma SR5 w/Towing Package
4-Point Equal-i-zer Hitch
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote