Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Camping with a toddler

We'll be camping for the first time with our 2 year old who has a knack for seeking out danger. Just wondering if anyone has any tips (short of keeping him in the rv all weekend).
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #2

1. Don't let him out of your sight.
2. Leave him with a trusted relative.

We started taking ours at the 4-5 year old range.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

Camping with a toddler

We started taking our daughter when she was 6 months old. Keep a close eye on them especially around the fire. Camping with a little one is a blast when you see their eyes get big with excitement on seeing nature unfold around them. The whole camping trip revolves around them and their schedule ( naps and potty breaks)
Enjoy it while you can because they grow up all to fast.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #4

When we took the whole family, including new grandkids tent camping every summer, I started renting a pop up for my infant grandson and his 18 month old sister just to add a little safety for them since we were in bear country. The grandkids are now teen agers and still wanting to go camping in the Jayco. There is probably many things teens would rather do than spend a "boring" weekend with the ol' grandparents, but mine still look forward to it. It was a lot of work keeping them out of trouble, and sometimes quiet at night, but was and still is a great feeling to have them with you....take those kids as often as you can.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

We camp with small kids all the time. Between our (7,4,9mths) and two other families we camp with who's kids range from 7-2 y/o we have some experience.

Really its not a lot different than being at home with them. Keep an eye on them, have serious talk about fire/BBQ and continue to remind them. Keep knifes, axes, shovels, fire pokers out of reach. We require life jackets of the kids when near water. But IMO most importantly lots of sun screen, nothing worse than a kid who get sunburned and then no longer is having fun.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

We took our daughter camping for the first time at 7 months. It was to Birkenhead lake ( http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...birkenhead_lk/) and we were in a tent. The number of bears around made us a bit nervous but it was fine... and a main reason we moved to trailers .

Our girls are now 10 and 12 and we have been camping with them more times then I can count. Ages 2 -4 are the most work. They are fast enough to disappear in a second but not smart to come back right away.

It's worth it though.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagman View Post
We'll be camping for the first time with our 2 year old who has a knack for seeking out danger. Just wondering if anyone has any tips (short of keeping him in the rv all weekend).
I grinned when reading this. We took our kids (tent) camping before the youngest could walk. Now that we are all growed up we have a nice home-away-from-home to take our grandkids, but the rule Papa made was that the grandkid had to be potty trained before overnighting (so if Gramma wasn't around to change it, he wouldn't be stuck LOL). Our youngest grandchild is now three. She camps with us but "Danger" is her unwritten nickname... she is the one who already had a broken arm, and more bumps and bruises than a high school football star. She doesn't come with an off button, and wants to mimic everything anyone bigger than herself does. She has no fear of ANYTHING and will do everything that most toddlers wouldn't attempt.

Like Clubhouse mentioned ".. its not a lot different than being at home with them". The cars will drive past your campsite (as would the street in front of your house); if you have a fire in the pit, same rules as at home in the backyard with bbq or fireplace; stranger danger awareness; animal education (is that slithering thing that has a neat rattle on the back the best opportunity for a new pet?); etc. Establish the rules at the new surroundings from day 1, have consequences, follow through.... but try to stay close to the same routine you use at home otherwise.

But just to make it fun, bring some of his/her favorite toys along; favorite blankie/pillow; frozen ice pops that you both can put together at home before the trip; etc

Don't forget the first aid kit and some of those baby-whipy's (great for quick clean ups when soap and water aren't handy).

And as McFarmell eluded to ("Leave him with a trusted relative")... word to the wise, if you are out to enjoy relaxing (adult libations, and sitting around in the lawn chair), his advice might be a good one LOL For sanity sake, it's best to take 'shifts' on who will be responsible to keep an eye on the toddler, so there is always someone focused 'on watch'.

Definitely do not forget NAP time.... the one time all the grownups can relax LOL

I know, easier said than done... literally, Hailey at three is more of a handful than her older siblings or her mom/uncle ever were, but with a little structure and the above, she does fine camping with us. LOL

Good luck, have fun, and bring the camera to take lots of pics for memories to be recorded for the little one to enjoy when he/she grows up
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #8

We took our daughter camping when she was less than a year old, and she enjoyed it. Kept on taking her, right up to a long trip to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and other parks for her high school graduation present. Now we are taking her kids with us when possible. They are always excited, and never bored with camping with Grandma and Pa-Pa. So we encourage you to take them as many times as possible, and enjoy them while you can.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

Lots of good tips here. We started camping a few years ago when our twins were 2 yrs old. We just tried to instill common sense rules (ex. no walking between chairs and campfire), used lots of sunscreen, bring some favorite toys, and tried to get a site near the playground. Also, my wife and I use walkie-talkies as we are always getting separated (one kid goes to the beach, the other to the payground, then to the game room, then to the bathroom, then back to the RV to get a snack, any so on...).
Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #10

I have two major concerns with the kids, no matter what age. They are playing around the fire pit. I do not allow it at all, even when there is no fire as you never know if it is still hot, from an earlier fire. The other is being out on a dock. My son is a fabulous swimmer, but swimming in cloths is different than in trunks.

I have one more item that concerns me. When I am backing up, I have a lot of blind spots, until this year (I think). All kids and pets have to say in the truck. My rule is if you cannot see my face in the mirror I cannot see you, and I stop the TV. This goes for the DW too.

I may take a little flack for this, but in my opinion let them get their bumps and bruises, and being a little scare from them thinking you are out of sight (you are watching them thou), it will teach them a lot.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

Camping with a toddler

Take Benadryl just in case they are allergic to something unexpected. Also some wasp spray and or traps may come in handy in case the bees are in full force.

Yellow Jackets and manual awnings are my nemesis...

Great that you're having them camp early in their life... Lucky kid!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #12

I second the use of a life jacket around water. We took our son tent camping shortly before his 2nd birthday and he ran down an embankment and into a cold lake. Luckily the water was rather shallow and I grabbed him before he could go any farther.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

last year we went camping with our 3YO and there were ground bees in full attack mode...several kids were attacked...me and her were walking to the bathroom and were attacked luckily only got 2 stings myself and she got one on her head and she was not allergic...but our neighbor campers had some bee sting stuff and it was a blessing...i am going to get the bee sting kit this year when we go just in case
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-B4-Extr.../dp/B000AU9PEC

and some benzocaine http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Kill-Disposable-Swabs-5-Ea/dp/B000GCPWSC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1367884852&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=bee+sting

2007 Jay Feather Sport 218

2007 Honda Ridgeline
jaycojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have two major concerns with the kids, no matter what age. They are playing around the fire pit. I do not allow it at all, even when there is no fire as you never know if it is still hot, from an earlier fire. The other is being out on a dock. My son is a fabulous swimmer, but swimming in cloths is different than in trunks.

I have one more item that concerns me. When I am backing up, I have a lot of blind spots, until this year (I think). All kids and pets have to say in the truck. My rule is if you cannot see my face in the mirror I cannot see you, and I stop the TV. This goes for the DW too.

I may take a little flack for this, but in my opinion let them get their bumps and bruises, and being a little scare from them thinking you are out of sight (you are watching them thou), it will teach them a lot.
You can't ever be too safe when it comes to kids. I too leave mine buckled in the truck until it is set with tire chocks. Then my wife will take them to the playground while I set up, this way there is no chance for any mishaps.

X2 on life jackets.

Now when it comes to your camper you should also consider a few things. The screen door will not support weight pushing on it and you should consider a pet screen addition to the bottom panel and a dead bolt or hook and eye latch to keep from the accidental falls that could occur when they push on the screen door.

I put cut noodle pieces on all my slide corners to prevent kids and adults from hitting them too. Depending on the site my bed slide has made me see stars on more than one occasion.

Also go through your camper on your hands and knees to see where there are possible safety issues. Consider removing the oven and stove knobs or keep a watchful eye on them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #15

I take my little ones. I look for sites without slopes, otherwise, the slopes will keep you more than busy. I had lowes cut plexiglass to fit the bottom of the screen door and attached with double sided tape. Step stool for the sinks, bike or tricycle with rope (use to pull up hills). My screen door latch is secure, but my older one has already figured out how to open the door, so another lock higher is a great idea. I bring lots of bubbles and glow in the dark sticks for night. Otherwise, close to the playground for the short energy bursts. I put mine to work (after the trailer and truck are secured) as much as possible. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but are entertained for a little while. I bought seats for everyone, but have yet to use them. It is a blast to see it through their eyes. 1x2 made into short railing helps them up the steps. You can secure with clamps and does not take much space.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #16

I'm not sure I understand this thread. How is camping with kids different from living at home with kids? They require attention at both places.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksignoles View Post
I put mine to work (after the trailer and truck are secured) as much as possible. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but are entertained for a little while.
This is what I do with little ones of our friends. My baby is 16 now! When I help buddies out who have little ones, I give the kids random jobs to keep them busy. Kids will move wood blocks all day if you let them! Have them carry a block or lynx leveler to where you are setting up the stabilizer and then have them carry another one to the next corner. In the end you have them pick them all up and put back in storage. The kids think they are helping and that is good for them.

Another option is to camp with friends who can help watch the little ones. We camp with a younger couple who have a 2 yo outdoors boy and my wife and I will take him for walks or to the play ground while mom and dad finish setting up or need a little quiet time. We get our "grand parent" fix and can return in a little while. We all watch the little guy around the fire and still can enjoy ourselves.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
I'm not sure I understand this thread. How is camping with kids different from living at home with kids? They require attention at both places.

Shorty
I would say the difference is the amount of attention required. For example, when at home, I've baby proofed most of the main floor so I feel comfortable letting my 2 year old run free. It's a little harder to baby proof a campground. We're very excited to get back into camping. In the past with no kids We would spend the entire time relaxing, taking naps in a hammock, and doing what we wanted to do. It will be a little different now. I just want to do what I can to make it an enjoyable experience for the family so we don't end up going only once or twice per year because of the hassle. I've gotten some great tips on this thread! If all else fails, the kids eventually go to bed so that will be the time to relax!
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote