Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Mat

Canadian crossing the Boarder

In September will be crossing the boarder twice with our trailer, we love spending time south of the boarder and we do it as much as we can. But my question is how easy is to cross the boarder with a trailer? any tips will be appreciate. Everybody got passports, fire wood, grocery and alcohol will be bought into the US. We usually keep some soupes, pastas, spreads and crackers... inside the trailer, could this be an issue? Thanks in advance
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #2

Unfortunately that's like asking will I get a ticket for driving 10 over. It all depends on who is on duty the days you go back and forth. We've breezed through with no problems and then we've also had the Canadian officials go through the entire MH and we lost 15 minutes.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #3

Look at this site to see what you can bring in the US as far as food
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use
We are currently in the state and they only asked us if we had firewood, grits and vegetables
Philpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #4

Generally if you stay away from taking any fruit and vegetables over, then you will be fine.

And if you have a pet, make sure you have all the vaccination information ready to show them, if necessary. For our dog, who can eat only lamb and rice feed, we had to make sure it was manufactured in the USA and take the bag to prove it! No lamb product can be taken over the border.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

Numerous national parks now require certified inspected fire wood, in plastic wrap with a cert. seal. They sell at camp stores etc. Great Smokeys parks will be implementing in the spring and if your from certain states, that fire wood can't be brought in now.
I've switched to a portable propane fire pit. Works great. Lots places don't allow open fires anymore.
Its like this but mine came with a metal clamp down cover that latches down to keep rocks in.
$79 at Sam club. Seasonal item but should be stocking now for winter?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camp-Chef-Re...item27e77d327c
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

You should not have any problems. Only answer what they ask and be truthful. Only other thing I can say is to leave your alcohol at home and purchase what you need in the States. It will be about half of what you have to pay up in Canada . We found that out on our trip up there this past Spring.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #7

Our government likes to tax fun stuff.

We even have trade barriers between our provinces?

Does such a thing exist between states?
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

ykcamom is right on when it comes to dog food. We crossed into Port Huron a few years ago and got pulled over for a complete search of the trailer by US guards. We had two Goldens with us. And a brand new $80 bag of dog food made in Canada....which was not allowed into the US.....we had to turn around or leave it behind. We gave it up. Also had a few pepperoni sticks and some fruit in the fridge......$300 fine.....which they didn't apply.

As to dog food now when we travel to the US....the bag always says made in the USA....

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

Take a boat south and enter thru the southern border. You can bring whom ever and what ever you like.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

The Canadian dog food thing was during the mad cow issue. Now as long as it is in the original bag there should not be a problem. Have medical proof of rabies shots. We were advised to call the actual Border office where you are crossing for information with regards to what you can and can't bring over. We have crossed many times with 2 dogs without issues. We were once delayed crossing at Bangor when the Navigator owned up to having one peach. When the Second Official asked the quantity, he just said see ya!
It does depend on the knowledge of the individual Officials and their mood, on both sides of the border. Crossing into Michigan at Sault Ste Marie The Official started yelling to turn off the Diesel engine before I was within 5 feet of the kiosk. Crossing at Port Huron the Official was taking everyone's peppers. Then when arresting a couple of individuals on motorcycles, all the the Officials we could see, 6 of them, drew their guns and hit the deck. When the people on motorcycles in the cue started to video and take pictures the had their cameras confiscated.
Crossing back in to Canada before Passports were required I really upset the Official when I offered to get birth certificates outs of they're trunk as I released it. He started yelling to stay in the vehicle. Truth and honesty is the best way.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
Site Team

I know in MI you can't bring firewood across county lines because of the emerald ash borer.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #12

Last year the border guards asked to go into our trailer when heading south to Oregon. They just looked in the fridge and pantry real quick and that was it. We don't bother bringing anything with us other than basics and boxed/processed food. This year they didn't even bat an eye. Just the usual questions, not even checking the vaccination papers on the dogs. Only issue was our 2 year old had fallen and given himself a bloody nose and we hadn't changed his shirt so that required an explanation lol
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #13

We have not had any issues towing our trailer (or previously, the tent trailer) and we probably cross with trailer about 5-6x/year. we've been asked about firewood, dog food, fruits/veg, etc, but it's generally quick and easy - that said, we travel in the Nexus lane which is generally faster anyway.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
Mat

Thank you all for the great feedback, seems like crossing with a trailer is not such a big deal
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodes View Post
we travel in the Nexus lane which is generally faster anyway.
I have never seen a Nexus lane for campers. Usually border crossings only have one lane dedicated for campers and it isn't the Nexus lane.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I have never seen a Nexus lane for campers. Usually border crossings only have one lane dedicated for campers and it isn't the Nexus lane.
I asked if I could bring my TT through the Nexus lane and they said yes. Now this was in Washington state.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I live in BC so I cross at one of two major crossings. The Peace Arch crossing is our main one and it has 3 Nexus lanes - any of which can be used by campers. There are no designated camper lanes, Nexus or otherwise... you're just allowed to use whatever lane you want. Maybe at the smaller crossings there are designated RV lanes, but the Peace Arch is a big crossing with about 10 lanes open at peak times, and all can accommodate taller vehicles.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #18

We found that the main issue is fruit. Like you said, buy it there.

Expect that they will take a look in the trailer, but don't worry about it.

All depends on the mood of the crossing guard.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #19

just remember yes sir no sir, passports and im sure you will sail through

at most they will xray it
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #20

I travel across the border to the US all the time with my trailer and have for many years. My advice is - do not bring firewood, fresh fruits or vegetables or meat. Everything else should not be an issue and they rarely ask me to go for a secondary inspection or even look in the trailer. Firewood is becoming a big issue due to bugs. I used to bring it all the time but not anymore. It's not the Customs guys and gals but USDA (US Department of Agriculture) that will likely be looking for fruits, vegetable and meat. We have had citrus fruit taken in the past, tomatoes, etc.

If the fruit is labelled or packaged with the country of origin it might be ok, but over time I have found it's not worth the effort. Buy it when you get there.

An interesting note is that while they may confiscate items like whole tomatoes, they are usually ok if they are cut up like in a salad. I guess you would not leave bugs in your salad.

As others have said, be honest, brief and answer questions without a lot of fanfare.
I always take off my sunglasses, put the left rear (tinted) window down as I approach so the officer can see in the back seat, and have my passports open and ready to hand to him/her.

Hope this helps.

-2013 F150 4x2 SuperCab 3.5EB
-2011 Jay Flight 22FB (SOLD)
Upuaut is offline   Reply With Quote