Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

Canadian Standards

Does anyone know what is meant by Canadian Standards which is listed as an option on the Eagle? I'm going to assume it has to do with insulation.

Also, what has been your experience with the Maxxis 8008 tire upgrade? Is it worth the more than $500 cost? Are they worth that much more than the original tires?

Lots of questions, I know, but I haven't been able to find answers on the website.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #2

There are some subtle differences in the elec and plumbing codes. Nothing to do with insulation.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
Does anyone know what is meant by Canadian Standards which is listed as an option on the Eagle? I'm going to assume it has to do with insulation. No, not insulation. It has more to do with safety (location of the fire extinguisher), propane, tongue load, etc. Some searching on the internet will reveal all the details. If a unit is to be sold/bought in Canada, it must comply with Canadian Standards. Just towing in or through Canada it is not required.
...snip.
I can't help with your other questions, sorry.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

I tried to order Canadian standard on my trailer in 2013 and was told it was not an available option on US bound trailers.

I understand it it mostly due to electrical codes.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Team

Agree with the other posters. It is built to Canadian plumbing/ electrical codes.
Nothing to do with weather.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
I tried to order Canadian standard on my trailer in 2013 and was told it was not an available option on US bound trailers.

I understand it it mostly due to electrical codes.
I purchased my first trailer new in Northern California, it came with candian standards, including the maple leaf flag sticker near the front door. After I removed the sticker I asked what that was all about. The dealership told me they order it on all stock units, this is California mind you, since they sell so many new units to snowbirds heading north and south through the state.

I'm not sure why your dealership said it wasn't available, I can assure you in 2012 it certainly was in Northern California.

I never learned what the actual code difference were, appearantly is was more than USA requires not different since mine met both specifications.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

My 2016 was built with the Canadian Standards option. I asked the Jayco rep what was different, he told me it was the propane system had a few different fittings, electrical system could not use any aluminum wire and grounding was different, plumbing drains used a different type of PVC pipe. Nothing of any benefit for USA users but if the unit was imported into Canada it must meet the standards or it won't be licensed or issued a title.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #8

Google knows all...it is the additional charges for a CSA (Canadian Standards Association) inspection/authorization similar to UL (Underwriters Labs).

"CSA stands for Canadian Standards Association. Originally they were responsible for establishing norms in the Canadian market. UL stands for Underwriters Laboratory, and they used to be responsible for establishing the norms for the US market"

From another forum:
"The Canadian standards option is only for units sold in Canada. I made an enquiry of Jayco and received the following reply noting 4 items. 1. plumbing drain lines made of different type of plastic and use a different type of glue (yellow verses black), 2. extra ground wire on power bathroom vent and on range hood, ground wire used in ROMEX (120 volt wiring) is a gauge lighter on CSA units and 4. wire looms and propane lines may be routed differently."

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oval-5645.html
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
Google knows all...it is the additional charges for a CSA (Canadian Standards Association) inspection/authorization similar to UL (Underwriters Labs).

"CSA stands for Canadian Standards Association. Originally they were responsible for establishing norms in the Canadian market. UL stands for Underwriters Laboratory, and they used to be responsible for establishing the norms for the US market"

From another forum:
"The Canadian standards option is only for units sold in Canada. I made an enquiry of Jayco and received the following reply noting 4 items. 1. plumbing drain lines made of different type of plastic and use a different type of glue (yellow verses black), 2. extra ground wire on power bathroom vent and on range hood, ground wire used in ROMEX (120 volt wiring) is a gauge lighter on CSA units and 4. wire looms and propane lines may be routed differently."

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oval-5645.html
CSA is also called CUL. I don't know if they officially changed the name or not and CSA might still appear on some products, but CSA/CUL is the Canadian version of UL in the U.S.A.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #10

Thanks to all of you for the information. It is exactly what I was looking for. This forum is really informative. I appreciate all of you taking your time to answer my question.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
Does anyone know what is meant by Canadian Standards which is listed as an option on the Eagle? I'm going to assume it has to do with insulation.

Also, what has been your experience with the Maxxis 8008 tire upgrade? Is it worth the more than $500 cost? Are they worth that much more than the original tires?

Lots of questions, I know, but I haven't been able to find answers on the website.
I ordered my Eagle 5er with the Maxxis tires option. This option includes upgraded wheels too. Reading many threads on this subject swayed me to order with the available option. After all tires are right on top for safety.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
CSA is also called CUL. I don't know if they officially changed the name or not and CSA might still appear on some products, but CSA/CUL is the Canadian version of UL in the U.S.A.
Close.

CSA and UL are separate bodies that have mutual agreements on certification. Devices/Products can be labelled as CSA and/or ULC (Underwriters Laboratories of Canada). cUL certification indicates that the device complies with the Canadian Electrical Code as tested by UL.

In general, when shopping in Canada if you don't see one of the CSA/ULC symbols, you know it is grey (er gray) market stuff, including improper imports from the United States (generally just marked UL).

Quote:
The Presidents of CSA Group and UL signed an Agreement on Acceptance of Components and a Memorandum of Understanding.

The Memorandum of Understanding agreement between the two organizations simplifies the process for electrical industry customers desiring both CSA and UL marks obtain dual CSA and UL certification through a single test program.

That means if someone requires CSA or UL, in fact he requires the product to follow certain norms/standards. According to above explanation this can be approved by the "Canadian Standards Association" (CSA) or by the "Underwriters Laboratories Inc." (UL). To indicate a product being approved by UL for the compliance with the "Canadian Electrical Code" the product is
marked cUL.

This is primarily for electrical devices. There are several areas of overlap between the two bodies, but CSA does certifications in areas not covered by UL.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:17 AM   #13

Thanks for the input, I was about to put a post up about this. The Jayco website has no information on it which I found very strange, and the sales person I dealt with didn't know.
Yukonman is offline   Reply With Quote