Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Canadians - Cross-border parts and service

This week I learned a few things about the Cross-border parts and service opportunities available to my fellow Canucks when we travel South.

I was in the market for three new Slide Toppers. Before I left Canada, for Myrtle Beach, I had made some inquiries with Camping World about having them installed. They were willing to accomodate me and the price was going to be about half of what I would have paid at home. My local dealership had quoted close to $3000.00 installed. Camping world was going to be between $1200 and $1500 US depending on which brand I chose. In the end though we decided tearing down camp mid-vacation to deliver the RV to CW was too much of a headache, particularily when we were going to have to deal with our Pooch while they had the Unit.

During my time in the park though, I saw no less then 7 different MOBILE RV repair companies. My US friends may think this natural. In my homeland, things tend to be too spread out for a Mobile repair service to survive and certainly where one exists, they are likely the only game in town.

I did speak to one of the companies and they did provide a quote. 3 Slidetoppers installed at the site for $1500.00. A similar price to CW without the hassle of tearing down camp and delivering the unit to them. Unfortunately we discovered this to late in our trip and they were unable to get the parts here in time.

To my fellow Canucks travelling South, have a look at some of the large jobs you are considering and then think about travelling to some of the bigger US RV meccas to have the work done. Next year I will be doing my research and line up the Slide Toppers in advance. I may also look at some window shades and will eventually plan a pro-active A/C replacement when I am down here. All off these things easily done from the comfort of my camp site

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #2

That reminds me of the 1970's when pop-ups were the norm. We had rally and a group of Canadians all bought porta-potties and had them delivered to the CG at the beginning of the rally. They all even lined up for a picture with their newly acquired "thrones".
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #3

good info

thanks for the info, good to know....I also noticed quite a price diff between amazon.ca vs .com - will need to look into how to get prime deliveries at CG?!
sitchintime is offline   Reply With Quote