Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
tld

Carrying Generator on Rear of Camper

My camper has a rear 300 lb rated tongue weight 2 inch receiver hitch. I want to get a 2 inch receiver hitch cargo carrier to carry my portable generator on the rear of my camper. My generator weighs about 110 lbs. There is a lot of bounce at the rear of the trailer, especially when the highway gets rough. So, I'm a little concerned about the amount of stress that the cargo carrier would be subjected to. Has anyone had any experience doing something like I'm considering?
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #2

From what I've seen on the road, there is a significant difference in the bounce at the rear of a trailer between a 5th wheel and a TT. Which do you have?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #3

I carry a generator and also two 12 volt batteries on the rear carrier of our fifth wheel. Difference is that we have the carrier that is a slider built on the trailer. Have used it since we have owned the trailer. Almost 5 years now. It was rated to carry 250 lbs. I did add some additional straps to enhance the caring ability. I chain the generator down with locks both for theft deterrent and also to keep it from bouncing off. Has worked very well. Personally wouldn't have a trailer without the tray in back.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
tld

I have a fifth-wheel.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote