Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Cast Products - Propane Quick Connect Fittings

So, I have been trying to get my Coleman Roadtrip grill to connect to my quick connect fitting attached to my 2014 Jayflight 32BHDS. I have all of the fittings except the 1/4 inch fitting to my trailer. You would think it would be a standard 1/4 inch quick connect fitting that you could get at any RV store or at Camping World. Nope, not in my case anyway. Looks like Jayco used a set of fittings from Cast Products and they use a special fitting. It looks the exact same, but won't fit anything but another Cast Products fitting. So, my trailer has the Cast Product female side and no one has a male fitting that will work. They are all too long and won't let the male fitting seat and lock all the way.

At first, I was just going to get a Cast Product male fitting for my grill, but then I realized, I would have to then purchase a Cast Product hose too. Then I am stuck with their product forever. Now I have decided I will replace the fitting on my trailer with a standard one and use standard sizes that I can get anywhere.

I did a search finally to see why the fittings wouldn't work and used Cast Products in the search. I see others a while ago ran into this on other forums. I was wondering if anyone here has ran into this.

Also, I posted this in the wanted section, but can anyone find a better price for a 10' hose with quick connect fittings ($25 on Amazon - Camco version) or the fitting set (male and female $29 on Amazon - Camco versions)? I would rather have a 20'+ long hose, but can't seem to find them for any decent price.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
So, I have been trying to get my Coleman Roadtrip grill to connect to my quick connect fitting attached to my 2014 Jayflight 32BHDS. I have all of the fittings except the 1/4 inch fitting to my trailer. You would think it would be a standard 1/4 inch quick connect fitting that you could get at any RV store or at Camping World. Nope, not in my case anyway. Looks like Jayco used a set of fittings from Cast Products and they use a special fitting. It looks the exact same, but won't fit anything but another Cast Products fitting. So, my trailer has the Cast Product female side and no one has a male fitting that will work. They are all too long and won't let the male fitting seat and lock all the way.

At first, I was just going to get a Cast Product male fitting for my grill, but then I realized, I would have to then purchase a Cast Product hose too. Then I am stuck with their product forever. Now I have decided I will replace the fitting on my trailer with a standard one and use standard sizes that I can get anywhere.

I did a search finally to see why the fittings wouldn't work and used Cast Products in the search. I see others a while ago ran into this on other forums. I was wondering if anyone here has ran into this.

Also, I posted this in the wanted section, but can anyone find a better price for a 10' hose with quick connect fittings ($25 on Amazon - Camco version) or the fitting set (male and female $29 on Amazon - Camco versions)? I would rather have a 20'+ long hose, but can't seem to find them for any decent price.
I went down this road 2 years ago. I ended up replacing the female QC on the RV and bought all the other fittings and hose from here www.flameengineering.com Keep in mind your grill will have to be modified. If I remember correctly, you cannot modify the road trip grill. I ended up purchasing a weber Q1000. I removed the regulator and installed a QC on it. The QC female on your RV is already regulated down to 11" w.c LP pressure.
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

I just done this a few weeks ago lol.

Yup, the Jayco quick connects are Proprietary. The only ones I found to fit mine were the Camco fittings...or you can buy the correct one's from a Jayco dealer too. I wanted mine to be easy to find and get in the future, so I converted mine to all Camco.

As Camping Couple said, you'll have to modify the road trip. The regulator on the camper already regulates the propane at 11WC or about .40 psi. That isn't enough to make the regulator function correctly on the grill so it has to be removed. Only problem with removing it is, it is proprietary threads and you can't find a fitting the correct threads at any hardware store. They may be available through Coleman, but I wouldn't bet on it.

My fix for this. Drill and tap the grill fitting to 1/8 NPT female threads. Thread a 1/8 x 2 nipple in it and then the quick connect. Used good pipe thread dope and checked for leaks, worked like a charm.

Grill now works as it should and has the correct flame. I found a 50' Propane and NG rated hose on eBay for a good price...rated for 350psi. I now have to option to place my roadtrip almost anywhere I want.

I also used the grill fittings from another old Coleman camp grill we had to make the mods. For 1 being, if I screwed up I wouldn't be out of anything....And 2, I still have to option to use the grill on the little 1 pound bottles using the factory setup that comes with the grill.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

Man, you guys are smart. I will use this mod, thank you guys for posting it up!!
Equalizer 14,000 lb hitch with 12,000 lb ball and arms (sold)
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote