Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

CB Radios

I've been considering getting a CB Radio for the Tow Vehicle.

I'm curious to see what others here on the forum feel about CB Radios.

- Who has them?
- How do you use them?
- What kind do you have (manufacture / model)?
- How / where do you have it installed / mounted?

General pros / cons of a CB Radio (aka your candid opinion).

Thanks in advance for your insight and information.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #2

I use one and keep it on 19 all the time. have an external speaker so I can hear well without blasting it. I have had and used many cobras in big trucks but for the pickup I bought a uniden pro520xl. I can hear well and everytime I call for a radio check I get an answer. best advise is to get a real good antenna like a Wilson.

I was taught oldschool so I believe a vehical that stays on the big road ought to have one

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

I have my ham radio license, I prefer that mode of communications. I get out a lot further, it has some built in features like APRS that let the rest of my family know where I'm at when I'm on the road, and the conversations are of substantial higher quality. I'm usually within range of a repeater, so if I ever have a problem I can almost always reach someone even when there's no cell coverage and the CB is nothing but dead air.

I have an army surplus portable antenna mast kit that lives in my camper, I usually hang a Jpole antenna off of it and can get out 100+ miles depending on the terrain, from my camp spot. With an HF radio and a general class license, you can talk around the world.

I have a hopped up Galaxy DX 959 CB radio in my closet that I should probably sell.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

I bought one about 10 years ago, but I haven't installed it yet. I don't understand the whole thing-- the antenna stuff and the length, booster, exc. My dad always had one on his RV. I think it's a dying art.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

I have one and enjoy it from time to time. But, I have to agree, it is a dying art. I occasionally get good insight on a traffic situation or a police car. But, most of the time my wife using google maps Is just as efficient if not more. I remember growing up and traveling. We always had a CB. So I guess I have it for nostalgia. Although, I do get some good dirty jokes I hadn't heard before.

As for location: I mounted the unit under the dash near my right leg. I used a 4 foot fiberglass firestik antenna. It is mounted just behind the truck cab to the bed rail using a stake pocket mount. You have to ensure the antenna is mounted so the top 25% has a clear line of sight in all directions. The cab cannot block.

I have a very gently used unit for sale if you are interested. Just private message me. I would cut a great deal.
Biggest Weber fan in the world.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #6

Cb is a lost art. I have one in the truck. I cant remember when i turned it on last. It has saved me on occasion.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Ed m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #7

I had one in my TV when I was pulling the 5th wheel and now have it in the Seneca. It currently is a cheap uniden with a crappy antenna, however I have the parts coming from amazon to utilize the built in antenna on the rig. I also acquired a Cobra C 75 which I can hide all the stuff under the dash. I feel it is needed when you are moving such a large vehicle down the road. It is really nice to talk to other drivers to facilitate some courtesy on the road. Many truckers appreciate you letting them in and they will let you in if you just ask. I also do a lot of off roading with friends and having a CB is also super handy to communicate between each other when trailing.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #8

I have a Cobra that sits on the transmission hump between the seat and the dash on a mount made for that location. I use it when traveling the interstates. About the only time you hear anything useful is when there is a traffic backup of some sort, but that is primarily why I have it. It has saved me from being stuck in traffic on multiple occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your replies. Everyone's insight on the subject has been very informative.

CB Radios were popular in the 60s & 70s, but I was wondering how useful they are not with all the new technology.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #10

I use one for communicating with my friends on jeep trips (one in my jeep, too).

More important is having weatherband when camping in National Parks without any cell service. Also find it convenient when traveling as who knows where the forecast is for that you hear on the radio. The weatherband seems like it is closer to your location..

On edit: I keep it on during long drives for the information up the road and often, just the general entertainment.

Just remember - cheap radio is fine, but the antenna makes or breaks the radio and its performance.

Mine is mounted to the side of my center counsel by my right calf.

Antenna is mounted through the cowl on the driver side. Looks like a radio antenna on the driver side.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #11

I have a Midland assisted by a linear amp in my pickup. I can transmit several miles with it. Weather band is very useful. CB is mounted lower middle dash with talker hanging from rear view mirror for quick grab access. Wilson antenna mounted on passenger side top of bed near the cab. Use to get a lot of information on the highway from truckers, etc. Last several years talk on the CB has about died. Too many "steering wheel holders" driving big rigs nowadays that don't even have their CB's on (or may not even have one?!). The highways just aren't the same as they used to be...

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. Everyone's insight on the subject has been very informative.

CB Radios were popular in the 60s & 70s, but I was wondering how useful they are not with all the new technology.
(Flashback: Listen to "Wolf Creek Pass" or "Convoy" by C.W.McCall)

We have a Cobra CB that we use only for long trips. It has come in handy a few times when we see traffic backing up and wonder why. In those cases the truckers will be exchanging info regarding why and where it begins, and sometimes it's accurate.

We've also found that we don't always have a cell phone connection, but the roads we usually travel have a fair amount of trucks. So if we have a serious problem, maybe having the CB will help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #13

[QUOTE=oldmanAZ;502794](Flashback: Listen to "Wolf Creek Pass" or "Convoy" by C.W.McCall)

Huge Thumbs up on that one OldManAZ. I have been listening to Bill's works since I was old enough to go snowplowing with my dad. Here's to the good memories..... I like rubber duck

I plan to install a CB in a new Envoy. I wouldn't travel without one. Never know when service may be out and you need a backup. I think someone said, you may never use one, but will wish like heck you had one when you need it. For less than a weeks worth of Starbucks habits, you can have one up and running in a day. Seems like a pretty reasonable safety blanket.

Now I just have to figure out where to mount the antenna....
khdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #14

I have one on my motorcycle. I mainly use it to talk to people when they are on Goldwings as CB is pretty common for those bikes. For bike to bike communications we either use Sena 20A which are long range bluetooth intercom or commercial GMRS radios which are using longer whip antennas for much better range compared to the cheap Walmart GMRS radios.

However if I want to be in the middle of no where and know I have coverage for an emergency and so the family can check in with me. Then I have my Spot Messenger. It is a 2 way satellite transponder. The one I have has limits on what I can transmit. Basically physical buttons that have been programmed to send out a custom message to loved ones. For instance I have one that is a periodic I am OK check in and another one I use to indicate I am starting out for the day or stopping for the night. Then there is a send help (roadside assistance) or Emergency send a medivac. The nice thing about this system is it works way off the beaten path. For normal communications when slabbing down the interstate, it is pretty rare to not have cell coverage now so it isn't an issue to just use the cell phone.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #15

Under the dash mount.
Keep it on Ch 13.
Have letters on back of rv.
Saying "CB CH 13".
If something is wrong on the back, hopefully someone will
let me know.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote