Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Champion generator/inverter on sale

This is just an FYI for those needing a generator and don't want to spend big bucks on a Honda inverter. Costco now has the 3100 Champion generator/inverter on sale for $699 after a $100 manufacturer discount.

My personal experience with this generator has been great. It will run a 15k ac and is quite, only slightly louder than a Honda.

The sale ends March 21.

I am not affiliated with Costco or Champion, just a person who does a lot of boon docking and wants to share what I know and learn from what you know.

I have used this generator before and today, I ordered my own.
Giljmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giljmo View Post
This is just an FYI for those needing a generator and don't want to spend big bucks on a Honda inverter. Costco now has the 3100 Champion generator/inverter on sale for $699 after a $100 manufacturer discount.

My personal experience with this generator has been great. It will run a 15k ac and is quite, only slightly louder than a Honda.

The sale ends March 21.

I am not affiliated with Costco or Champion, just a person who does a lot of boon docking and wants to share what I know and learn from what you know.

I have used this generator before and today, I ordered my own.
I have this generator and I concur, or the money this generator has handled everything that I have thrown at it. It runs quiet and is good on gas. $699.00 is a great price for this unit. In Canada it is $999.00 at Costco
Old 03-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #3

I have this one too. We haven't used it for much more than charging the batteries back up yet but so far so good. Seems to go on sale every few months. Heavier than the Hondas and not as convenient if you just need to power smaller items but look at all that $$$ saved!

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:04 AM   #4

I've had one for about 5 years. Its quiet and reliable. There's nothing close to it in that price range. Home Depot occassionally runs a good deal on them through their website.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

I've never heard one running in person yet, but I have heard a 3000W Honda. Are they pretty close? I'd hate to drop a grand on one just to realize it will still upset the neighbours.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #6

I've heard the Champion 2000w and the Honda 2000w both operate but never side by side. With that in mind I could not tell you which was quieter. I know the Honda is rated to be a few decibels quieter but I can't say that I heard that difference. In the end my decision came down to the $. I found the Champion to be very reliable and fit nicely in my budget.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #7

Skybound they are quite close. We do a lot of field ralleys and the first generator we used in our group was very loud, an industrial one. That next day we went to CW and bought a Champion....wayyyy quieter, our friends let us stay....we were going to be evicted with the other genny.

Saved our butts. Since then two others in our group have purchased the Champion. The Honda is quieter by a couple decibels but for the money and the power you get, it is a sure bet. Quiet enough that your neighbors won't mind. Unless you are doing a side by side comparison, the difference is not worth the extra money for the smaller, less powerful Honda in my opinion.
Giljmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #8

Agreed w/ the above. Have heard them run side by side and the Honda is a bit quieter, but not nearly enough to justify another $1K for it. Honda pricing is ridiculous, frankly, and so that's why I too own a Champion 3100W.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote