Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Chems for Long Term Tank Usage

I want to use Black Water tank for over a year without emptying it. Are there / Should I consider chemicals appropriate for this type of usage? If so, what are the chems?

Thanks much.
2004 F350 6.0L TD LOADED!
tperk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #2

Your tank only holds 38 gallons. How often are you planning on using it during a year or longer? I buy the orange stuff at Walmart.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #3

I am on my 5th RV and have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. I do not urinate in the tank and otherwise I only want use the tank at our campground / hunt club when I do not want to go the community bath house. I guesstimate that the tank will easily last one year.

Am only concerned with long term storage of crap in tank, and what I can do to minimize potential for any problems.

What do you mean by "orange stuff?"
Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #4

That's an issue I tried to get resolved in my mind, and gave up. I think you would have to deal with a neutral that has a chemical degree and practical experience. All I ever got was a sales material - Ours is the best and you should buy it. But, if you ask them why it's the best, all they can tell you is that it is. Even the technical reps were an extension of the sales dept.

I THINK I found out that an enzyme is a faster breakdown of solid human waste than a chemical. The TP is more of an issue as far as breakdown - the enzyme is supposed to be better here as well. The deodorant is your choice. I know there is a lot of variables so maybe to say a certain amount of this tank additive would work better in a certain situation is unanswerable.

My uneducated opinion is that you can't get a year (or even close) out of one black tank cycle. If I was in your situation, I would consider a small tote and make more frequent trips. (I'm assuming there's no dump facility where you want a years use.) Or, there are some portables that might work for you.

Edit: And while we're not on the subject: Rudee Inlet used to be a great place to catch flounder - back in the early 70s.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperk100 View Post
I want to use Black Water tank for over a year without emptying it. Are there / Should I consider chemicals appropriate for this type of usage? If so, what are the chems?

Thanks much.
Just about every chemical out there says to empty after 5-7 days. There is northing that will stop the odor for that length of time. Thetford even makes a "Full Timers" product and the best it will do on odor is about 10 days.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

I think you are looking for a product like rid ex made for septic systems.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #7

I am not worried as much about odors as I am having the stuff solidify, mess up sensors, become difficult to remove/empty etc.

I just called Rid X and, although their website says otherwise, they have tested their product on a 30 gal RV holding tank and they said it worked fine. I think I will use Rid X regularly and also will buy a portable tote, and will try to empty tank more frequently than once per year. (Nearest dump station is 60 miles away....but it is only .5 miles off of the main highway that I take back and forth to the hunt club).

According to Jayco Brochure my BW tank is 32 gal. I am thinking about a 15 gal portable tote (much easier to manhandle than a 30 gal), and TRYING to gauge the tank level so that I do not try to empty more than 15 gal into the tote!

What do ya'll think of this plan?

(Rudee Inlet fishing is STILL great!)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Tperk100,
Wastewater treatment isn't really rocket science. The basic goal of the typical wastewater treatment plant design is simply to make a 5 star resort for specific biological growth. Among other details the design usually includes aeration and dispersion so the organisms live well.

That said, a small poly tank won't even get a 1 star rating from the bugs you want with added enzymes or not. You are asking it to do something which it isn't designed to do. If you need to include RV type anti-freeze in the mix then all bets are off for biological growth.

I don't know what the legal ramifications for disposal are in your area, but a wag bag type unit emptied to a dumpster would be on my list for consideration. I share your concern that long term use of the tank as you intend may render some of the features of the tank useless.

My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #9

VicS1950,

You da man!!! I never heard of Wag Bag but looked into it and it DEFINITELY is the way to go!.....Thanks much for your help.

http://www.cleanwaste.com/products
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Site Team

RidX will damage your gaskets and still not do the job.

No matter what you put in it, it is still a HOLDING tank. That is all it is designed to do.

Without some method of draining and flushing it, you are in for some long term problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #11

It sounds like the unit is at a seasonal site? If so, is a "honey wagon" an option?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #12

This is the way I have decided to go...................

http://www.cleanwaste.com/products

Will not be using holding tank at all.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Good choice. You could just make a trench like the pioneers.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #14

We took an old house ceramic toilet and mounted it to a piece of marine plywood, placed it over a hole in the ground and put a water bucket next to it. A quick walk to the pond and then dump the water in the back and it was just like home, but without a roof or walls, heat or privacy.....

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
We took an old house ceramic toilet and mounted it to a piece of marine plywood, placed it over a hole in the ground and put a water bucket next to it. A quick walk to the pond and then dump the water in the back and it was just like home, but without a roof or walls, heat or privacy.....
That's a great idea. A little RV antifreeze in the tank and trap for those cold nights and you'd be in business.