Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Choices with Xterra as TV

We are looking to upgrade from our pup to a TT. Our tow vehicle, is a 2012 Xterra Pro 4X. We've narrowed it down to either a new 174BH, or a 2015 16XRB hybrid (with no warranty). No matter which we choose, a Equalizer hitch/sway bar will be added as well. I like the layout of the hybrid, but, lack of a warranty is pushing us toward our second choice, the 174BH. Any experiences owners have with either of these that could help us to decide would be greatly appreciated.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

We tow a 16.5 SLX Baja edition.
The Xterra is under powered despite it's 5000 lb. rating
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

The 4x4 Xterra has the same basic drive train as the 4x4 Frontier. The Xterra is rated for 5000 lbs. The 4x4 Frontier is rated somewhat higher. This is basically because the Xterra is heavier than the Frontier. We travel at 55mph going north on I-10 out of Phoenix and we travel at 65mph on the flat I-8 towards Yuma.
As an example, when towing a low profile utility trailer loaded with 3200 lbs of crushed landscape rock, I get better fuel economy than when towing the 145RB SLX Baja which weighs 800 lbs less. It's not the weight of the trailer behind the Xterra, it's the square footage of wind resistance being pulled by the Xterra.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Skip 16XRB, this model is too small for the average person.
- The beds are too short
- The dinette sitting is uncomfortable, + the sofa is also too short.
- The stove is next to the sofa, that area get hot when cooking and unsafe if you have small kids.
- No toilet leg room

I own 184BH, very similar to the new 174BH,
I highly recommend!

The Nissan Xterra is under powered no doubt (had the chance to try for one trip), and the towing will stress the transmission (like mentioned before, it is not the weight but wind resistance)

Buy your second RV first, get now what you want, upgrade the tow vehicle later.
This is what I did, last year got the RV, and will buy this summer used F150 4dr (as a second vehicle)

- I am very happy with my 184BH -
The long front bed, rear long bunk bed, nice kitchen layout and kitchen counter, Tub and good toilet leg room (I am a girl...) are the main pluses that the 184BH/174BH has over the 16XRB.
Dream Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. We ended up deciding on the 16XRB, which we pick up Monday. We found a 2015 model, new, that was on sale with full warranty. Upgrading tow vehicles is not an option at this time, so we went with the lightest we could. We are upgrading from a pop up, so, the smaller size will not be an issue for us. Parking/storage in our driveway is also limited, and, the 16XRB will be great for our requirements. I would estimate 95 percent of our camping will be within 1-2 hours from home, mostly flat or easy rolling hills that the Xterra shouldn't have a problem with.

David
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #6

I'm really surprised at all the comments to the Xterra being "under-powered". We just sold our 2006 XTerra (after owning it for 10 years) and we NEVER felt it was under-powered. Back in the day I drove a Tundra with the 4.6, and towed a boat with it. Had to sell the Tundra, so we started towing the boat with the X, and it beat the pants off the bigger, more powerful Tundra; handled our boat like a boss!

I will grant two things: 1) the air resistance will be the primary issue towing a TT, and 2) IMO, the X doesn't handle payload very well without some suspension "helpers". Either Hellwig leaf helpers or some air bags as a start. Our X would squat A LOT and those OEM bump stops got just about worn out. It's a common problem with that truck though.

If we had kept it, I would've been performing a significant suspension upgrade this summer (was looking at an OME upgrade on all 4 corners). Would've made our X the perfect mid-size SUV IMO. I mean, really, what's not to like? It's one of the last true body-on-frame designs left out there. But alas, there wasn't room in the back seat for 2 rear-facing convertible car seats, so we had to move to something with a few more cubic feet of interior. We LOVED that XTerra though, it was a GREAT truck and never gave us any problems. I was actually sad to see it go.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #7

We've only had the Xterra for about a month now. Our pop up weighs 2200 pounds, I've pulled it once with the Xterra, and, the only real issue was stopping, as the pup has no brakes. I previously pulled it with my Ranger 4 cylinder, and, compared to that, the Xterra handled it with ease. The hybrid we are getting, doesn't weigh that much more, and, like Camper Bob said, the wind resistance is going to be the difference. We are getting the weight distributing hitch with sway control, mainly because the Xterra does have a mild lift with bigger tires. Plus, the new hybrid will have brakes to help with the stopping. We just went and checked out the new camper, as I had almost changed my mind AGAIN, but, with the fold out bunks, the available space compared to the 174BH assured me of our choice.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.

David
Old 04-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
The 4x4 Xterra has the same basic drive train as the 4x4 Frontier. The Xterra is rated for 5000 lbs. The 4x4 Frontier is rated somewhat higher. This is basically because the Xterra is heavier than the Frontier. We travel at 55mph going north on I-10 out of Phoenix and we travel at 65mph on the flat I-8 towards Yuma.
As an example, when towing a low profile utility trailer loaded with 3200 lbs of crushed landscape rock, I get better fuel economy than when towing the 145RB SLX Baja which weighs 800 lbs less. It's not the weight of the trailer behind the Xterra, it's the square footage of wind resistance being pulled by the Xterra.
The somewhat higher you are referring to, for how mine is optioned, is a whole 100 lbs more, tow capacity is 5100 lbs. so I don't think the experience would be any different, gearing is the issue with what I have, best for mpg, worst for towing, and you can tell, 270 hp is nice without towing.
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote