Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #1

class a license

has anybody had to get a non commercial class a license in PA a class c license is only good for up to 26000lbs combination weight in my case my truck and trailer are 28000 lbs also I have heard that truck needs to be registered for combination weight of trailer and truck which means I would have to register at a class 9 any comments
roughing it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Texas

Texas requires a Class B non commercial license if over 26,000 lbs - our Seneca has a GVW of 33,000 so we had to have a Class B but a Class A was the same requirements so I have the Class A

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughing it View Post
has anybody had to get a non commercial class a license in PA a class c license is only good for up to 26000lbs combination weight in my case my truck and trailer are 28000 lbs also I have heard that truck needs to be registered for combination weight of trailer and truck which means I would have to register at a class 9 any comments
Yes, you are correct that PA does require a class A for any combination over 26K. If you go to your local driver's license center, they should have the proper forms and application that you need. I am not sure if there is a required test for the non-commercial class A, or just the application process.

As far as the vehicle registration, you are again correct that if your trailer weighs over 10K, then you must register the vehicle for the combination weight. So if you are at 28K combined, then you will need to register for that weight.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

class a license

Does pa have non commercial class a licenses? I see that you don't need a commercial license but might need a class a if available
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Does pa have non commercial class a licenses? I see that you don't need a commercial license but might need a class a if available
Yes. Pa has both commercial and non-commercial class A.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

thank you
Old 08-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

What if you are travelling from out of state - and THAT state does not require the Class A license (only offers a commercial Class A)

Our GVWR of the motorhome is 28k. GCWR is 33k and the trailer is 10K
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #8

I believe as long as you are not a commercial driver or a resident of the state, the laws of the state you reside in apply.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Good luck

Been wanting to get this myself. Went to Lancaster PA DMV and was told 2 hr wait yesterday. Went this morning before they opened and still waited 45 minutes to talk to a nice lady that didn't know what I was talking about. A supervisor showed her what was needed, I paid my $5 for a permit. Then I was told I needed to do a knowledge test, ok. I flunked it because they give you a commercial class A test with air brake questions. That is the only test available, but I can study and come back to retest they said. After you get your permit, you then need to schedule a skills test and have an A class licensed driver with you. I ed and said I doubt I'll be back! I was hoping this would be easier, now I know why many people don't worry about it.
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #10

went and got my permit did not have to take an test now need to schedule a driving test no idea what they do for that
Old 08-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #11

very misleading I was told when I got my permit (all I did was apply no test) that I did not need a class a driver with me I do have to schedule and take a skill test with my truck and camper calling dmv on monday
Old 09-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

4th time the charm?

Went back the fourth time to Lancaster DMV and was told by the fourth person I talked to, that "no test needed, here is your permit; but you don't need it with your 11,900# fifth wheel". I simply said that's fine, when can I take the skills test. Not here in Lancaster, so I guess I'll try Harrisburg. Sometimes It is hard to do the right thing
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #13

Sixth time and a phone call to penn don't(DOT)

Told by two dmvs(Lancaster and Lebanon) they will not give me the test, Harrisburg will but have no openings till April of 2018. I stopped at local reps office and told them my situation and they will get back to me. Told them I am now in a catch 22, I know I need a license and got a permit, but won't have a licensed driver with me till I take a test or let the permit expire and not worry about it. I am in the process of updating my insurances and surprised the agent didn't ask?
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #14

That is the best case of where the Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. I bet that if people would tell the police what went on if they ever got stopped then it would still be the drivers fault, even though people can't get things done. It is a sad situation
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #15

This is my experience in DE. I thought I was covered from having an EVO for driving fire trucks. Went to DMV and was told that is not the case since I needed a non CDL A for a combo (a 5th wheel). Took the knowledge test and also did the air brake test just for fun. Called today to schedule the skills test and told that they will not give a skills test for a rec. veh. Since, it is not a commercial or farm etc., vehicle and is not needed. Took the supervisors name and added it to the list of weights I keep in my tv so it is readily available in the event I am stopped or cited for not having a non CDL A. May not do any good but when I go to court he's coming as a witness. Hard to know if your legal when the DMV gives conflicting information.
theracqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #16

Insurance Dilema

Since having a Class A CDL when they started it in '92, the rules had always been a little warped to say the least. Having a HAZ MAT endorsement, which was only good for 2 years, on a 4 year license, how would they check if the HAZ MAT was valid?? Getting stopped all the time, they NEVER questioned it.

Understanding the state rules do vary, what becomes more important is the ramifications of an accident without the proper licensing of the driver. Your insurance company COULD, and more than likely WOULD, deny the coverage of the policy for the damages. At that point you're left holding the bag on whatever & whomever you've hit or damaged with the RV. Now, that said, even if you weren't at fault, you'd probably be left holding the bag for damages, and you would have to sue your insurance company to get them to cover the claim. Insurance companies don't like to be sued, especially by their own policy holders, and once a client does that, expect to pay through-the-nose for insurance coverage down the road.

The RELATIVELY aggravating amount of time & energy expended to get the PROPER licensing would be offset greatly by the savings in dollars down the road. I remember an RV accident early in my big truck driving career, where a retired dentist and his wife hit a vehicle that entered the highway from a side road that didn't see them or stopped. They were in a Class A coach pulling a Jeep toad, and when all was said and done, both drivers were dead on the scene, the dentist being ejected from the coach. It was a horrible crash scene, and whenever I pass it 20+ years later, I still think about it.

It is a "risk vs. reward" situation. If you never get stopped, never have an accident, then I guess, you'll be OK. Get stopped, okay, a ticket, a fine, probably several hundred dollars, I'd be upset but understanding of my actions. Get in a wreck, damage our RV and other vehicle, or vehicles, and then seriously injure someone, the dollars add up QUICKLY. Most people don't carry enough insurance coverage as it is, and if they deny a claim because you weren't PROPERLY licensed, all those dollars going out WERE yours. Good-bye house, investments, IRA accounts, and anything of value in your life that can be liquidated. Just be ready to pay for it for the rest of your life. Sorry if I sound a bit morbid, but it is a REALITY that isn't too uncommon.

BTW, I drove big truck for better than 25 years and have seen enough bad accidents in my days on the road. My wife has sold commercial and auto insurance for better than 20 years, so as one company says, "We've seen a thing or 2." Once I was sitting with our dispatcher and talking about the written test, and he started asking me some of the questions. 8 out of the 10 times I was able to give him the 4 multiple choice answers, including the correct one. I had taken this test yearly for about 10 years, so I knew the test. Needles to say, he just sat there shaking his head.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:21 AM   #17

Got my pa class A

I talked to Penn Dot and was told to schedule my driving test wherever I wanted(even though 2 locations said they wouldn't do it). They said they update their schedule Wednesday mornings to reflect their openings. I scheduled my test at Lancaster last Thursday. I went with my dad(he has a class A CDL). Examiner checked my paperwork, checked my lights and told me to drive out of the parking lot. We did about a 5 mile drive and came back to DMV. He said he wasn't going to make me back up and that I passed! This is a non CDL class A license
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #18

Smile

update went yesterday to wilkes- barre dmv took driver test for non commercial needed to do a pre trip inspection then driving test that was not very long had a friend go with me that has a class a they never even looked at his license not very hard now legal
Old 05-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #19
Site Team

Excellent. Great to know that you were able to get it taken care of.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56