Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #1

cleaning the awning

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2009 jayflight 26bh. Can you please tell me the best way to clean the awning. It is very moldy from being rolled up so long. I will have many more questions as I get further into this trailer and I appreciate the advice. This is my first trailer so it should be interesting. Thank you.
jonathan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #2

I have used the "Awning Cleaner" you can buy at the RV dealer, but some say they use 1 cup bleach for every 1 gallon of water. Wipe the blend on the awning and roll it up for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Unroll the awning and wipe/rinse. Some spots may require a bit of effort and some elbow grease to get clean.
I am going to try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser next time I need to clean the awning. I have heard that works pretty good, but I have not tried it yet.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #3

You might want to consult your awning manual.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

I thought about trying the magic eraser too. Those things really are magic. They will clean just about anything but you have to be careful because they are so powerful. I have not found an awning manual yet "gone camping" but thanks.
jonathan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #5

Sounds like you've got a nasty bit of work ahead of you....I'm curious what you find works for you...

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #6

Yeah I cant wait. I have to get it ready for our maiden voyage next week. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #7

Was just thinking - recalling an old pop-up I had with an awning that was in rough shape. Granted, this was some time ago, before awnings rolled up and hung on the edge of the roof...ours had to be removed, folded & stored every time. It was full of mold, similar to what you're describing, when we bought it. If I remember right, my wife and I used a bleach/water combination and scrubbed the heck out of it with a good stiff brush, which worked pretty good. Unfortunately, some of the mold really stained the awning and nothing would fix it...the good thing was, the awning was that gawd-awful orange we loved so much in the late 70's so you couldn't see the stains unless you were really looking!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

We used a bleach/water combo and scrubbed for hours. It paid off though, it looks almost new.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #9

cleaning awning

I'm not sure if it's the best thing for the finish but, I use spray 9 cleaner to wash everything on my rv. If you have a pressure washer mix spray9 with some water, spray the cleaner on the area, and pressure spray it off. I found it takes off almost every stain I've had, tough areas I use a soft scrubbing brush, cleans the dirt off the trailer walls, rims, tires, all in one cleaner.
dj'stoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #10

Just cleaned my awning 2weeks ago to remove, or attempt to, some mold stains that was there when we bought 7/4.
There were streaks running the length of the entire thing, the worse being closer to the RV. The top area I used a RV soft brush.
For underneath I dropped the awning to the lowest setting and used a step ladder to reach the highest places, where it was worse, and washed it with a light mix of laundry detergent and water, and on the heaviest mold used Soft Scrub with the rougher side of a scrub sponge. The less stained areas required less elbow grease, and more of the softer side of sponge.
The results were quite satisfying, and very noticeable by droppers-by. I used an RV extension type soft brush at first, but with unacceptable results. Ya really have to work the more effected areas. But as stated previously, it's well worth it. We also had the "door skid-mark" and although that didn't come off totally, it really made a big difference.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #11

I use Clorox "Clean-UP" Spray it on, use brush on a long handle,rinse and it looks like brand new. I always make sure the awning and slide covers are dry before retracing. I I have to leave a campground with wet or damp awnings, I make sure I let them dry out in the sun before short term or winter storage.
Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #12

Very good point Mike & Rose. When I cleaned it the forecast was very co-operative ! It was totally dry when we left on Sunday .....
Old 09-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #13

This is a great article about awning care. http://www.newcarbuyingguide.com/ind...062/event=view
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #14

Check out IOSSO. http://www.iosso.com/MivaStore/merch...rine-RV-Awning
hammerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #15

We use Tilex for ours. We mix one bottle of Tilex along with another bottle full of water and mix it in a pressurized spray bottle (insecticide ones).We have one designated for the awning. We pretty much saturate the awning with the mixture and then roll it up for about 1/2 hour. We open it up again and then rinse. Most stains are gone and then just use a ladder and sponge for the tough parts. Doesn't require a lot of elbow grease and pretty effecient.
jcghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #16

I use an awning cleaner from WalMart for around 5 bucks , spray it on , hose it off and let it dry
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #17

Clorox Clean-Up spray on top, roll up the awning, let this set for about 20 min. Roll the awning back out, and hose off the cleaner.