Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Close to being a Jayco Owner

Last Sunday the Wife and I went to Camping world to look at a 24mbh. I have been eyeing this model for a while. We went to Florida with our trailer to visit family and the camping world had one near where we were staying. Thought we might take a look and would have the trade in with us if we loved it.

We loved it and negotiated a deal. They told us next Saturday was good to sign the loan papers and pick it up. So we traveled back home to Atlanta.

We have been planning all week for the 7 hour trip back to Florida to get the 24mbh. Today, the day before the closing, camping world calls. They have accidentally sent the trailer out to an rv show. There is no way to get the camper until Sunday.

I told them that I really didn't want to buy the camper if they have sent it out to be beat up by the general public. I also can't get back to FL for a month due to weekend commitments.

They were very nice and let me cancel the order with no fuss at all and apologized for the mistake. I do want to stress that because they could have put up some fight about us signing the purchase order. They were very understanding of my position.

The real problem is that I really like that camper and no one anywhere near me has it. I would love to get it but ordering it from the camping world near me will probably be more expensive.

Anyone else ever had their camper sold out from under them or sent out to a show?
korkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

I have not heard of it. But, I would not be afraid of buying one that was at a camping show. It could be a great negotiation tool, to get a better price, and it still has a two year warranty. But that 7 hour drive and no free weekends do make it more challenging.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

The camper we just bought we found out at closing that it had been at a show. Long story short, it had the 12 cu/ft fridge, 2nd awning, and grill which we weren't going to get if we ordered one. We negotiated those $3200 in "unwanted" options down to $1000. After finding out that it was at a show the dealer gave us a $500 gift certificate towards parts a week after closing.

At first I wasn't happy about it being at a show but after getting it home I quickly forgot about it. Now that we have the bigger fridge and 2nd awning we are glad we got them and getting them for $500 after the GC makes it even better.

I like the above poster mentioned, if you want it, try negotiating something for it. Since they made the mistake I would see if they would deliver it to you for free to make it right.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

We actually bought the floor model from the show we attended. Because we bought the floor model we got the entertainment package for free, they gave us a discounted price, and we knew the camper would be in good working condition and in good shape (they would not have wanted to use one with defects at a show). If I were you I would negotiate the price down a bit but I would still purchase it.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

I wouldn't be as worried about it being at the show as I would be irritated about the missed delivery date. I can guarantee that the salesman you worked with knew what day you were coming in... that's how he gets paid.

These thing don't happen by mistake... that floorplan is popular and it is one that they would want at the show. I'd find one closer to home from a dealer that values your business, not one that took advantage of the fact that they had a sale in the bag... even if it cost me a little more money.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #6
Site Team

Agree, I would negotiate the price down. It is still new as far as Jayco is concerned. Mine was on a dealer lot for 6 months and I looked at it twice during that time. When I bought it, it was marked down as being last years model. I saved $$$$ by waiting.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

They were unwilling to negotiate. They would rather I cancel. I was waiting for them to say we will give you something but they were very quick to just cancel. I know sales and they could have easily said what can we do to make this right. It was more lets just cancel the order.

I also did not get the best price. It was only 18% off MSRP. I liked the floorplan and was willing to pay a little more than the normal 20% - 25% off.
korkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Since they didn't want to cancel makes me believe that they already had another buyer close by for it. No way they would run the risk of holding it in their lot for an unknown amount of time. Like it was said before, if it's a popular model then it goes fast and no need to negotiate.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #9

We bought our X254 that was at the show and we've had no issues. We got a great deal too.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #10

I would be more than displeased with a dealer who takes a unit under contract to a show, then is unable to deliver it when promised. Like others have said, I'm guessing that they've sold it to another buyer, probably at a higher price. The first practice is borderline unethical, or at least bad business. Type in the name of the dealer, followed by "sucks" into your search engine; see how many hits you've gotten. There's even a FB group with 125 members under the "C___W___sucks" name. The latest is that the CW General Manager is threatening that group. Seems to me that the best way to build good business relations is to treat your customers well. My dealer kept insisting that I was a "guest" and not a customer.

Ask yourself how are they going to treat you after the sale is this is what they do before the sale. I'd look for another unit at a better price from another dealer.