Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Coach Weight Issues

Jayco owners might find it useful to go over to irv2.com, as a guest, and read the 3 recent threads on the overloading of the front end complaints on the 2016 Dutch Star. Very informative.

Context: Myself, I think owners of any RV tend to break down between those who just get things fixed and get back on the road, and those that sort of get on complaint bandwagons and likely don't spend, as a result, as much time on the road.

Context: I believe the more one invests in a new unit, the more likely ones expectations rise. The premium diesel coaches are often sold used with low mileage on them, with some exceptions, which is quite interesting IMO.

Context: The weight issues are relevant across the spectrum of mfgs and not just with class A's, but all classes including 5th and travel trailers, but have some differences. Some owners are aware of these issues and some aren't.

It is my opinion that the weight complaints will slowly fade away because:
1) no one has said Newmar made any misrepresentations.
2) it is not uncommon reading about owners having weight problems with other mfg units and across the classes.
3) Most fixes have to do with owners making compromises, or just ignoring the weighting issues (being at risk), or simply selling the coach and moving on to another coach having learned about weight issues. Though yes, some mfgs will create fixes or add options.
4) Premium coaches have all and more problems compared to the entry level coaches because they are RVs after all and all this stuff adds weight.
5) Fitness for purpose is the key argument. Safety is a key argument. I just don't think they have merit because of the above notes.

Regardless, I put this up because it really helps to understand weighting issues for any RV one has or plans to have. Whether or not anyone agrees as to the merit is not my purpose. I'm not trying to start a discussion, just think it is a great educational learning opportunity.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote