Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Compression Impression

We spent some time sitting in our trailer when we got it home yesterday and noticed that the dinette cushions compress quite a bit, noticed that they seem to bounce back after a few moments, but wondered if anyone has changed anything on theirs to keep that from happening ( wondering if over time the bounce back time gets longer with less. Bounce?)
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Site Team

The cushions do compress quite a bit. I have wondered myself if something better is available.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

I had the same problem - also the fact that if someone sat down at the dinette, the other person bounced in the air. I unzipped the cushion and found the foam was covered with plastic. I removed the plastic and it is soooooooo much better....no compression and no bounce.

Not sure if it will cause a long term impact...but it sure was worth it....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #4

My guess on this is that Jayco selected the foam based on cost and weight. The seat bottoms are light but if I sit for 45 mins to have coffee or watch the morning news, you can tell where I sat. It pops back after a few mins but I know what Phar0e means.

I suppose you could replace the foam inserts with something of higher quality...

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

I think I may have mentioned before.. that I ran an upholstery shop for several years. We re-foamed lots of camper cushions. Foam is sold by different densities .. the higher the density the firmer the seat, and the longer the cushion lasts. In defence of Jayco almost all new campers have the lowest density foam which is the cheapest.. but it is also the lightest and when you are trying to sell an RV and keep the weight down that is one way to do it.
In terms of replacing your foam I have always done this on our campers.. I suggest going with a high density foam in "firm" or medium firm density. a lot of times these foams are called "ultra cell " or some name like that. Expect to pay about double the cost of cheap foam.. but a good quality foam will have a 10, or 20 year guarantee on it.
I also recommend that when you order the new foam you get it 1/2 an inch thicker than your current foam, which will fill out the cushions a little better.
Also.. lower density foams are often used on the back cushions while higher density foams are used on the seats. One way to fix the problem is to switch the foam on the seats and keep the seat foam to replace the foam on the back cushions which will last much longer as there is not as much pressure on them.
In Canada an 8ft x 22 x 4 inch piece of high quality seat foam, which will re-do the seats on a standard dinette will cost about $80-$100. from a wholesaler. It would be a bit cheaper in the use as the big foam companies are located down around New Orleans. After the hurricane a few years back.. there was no foam available for a while.Most wholesalers will sell to the public if you come with cash in hand..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the very informative post on the foam, Lady Wendolyn. Now we know we have options should we choose to upgrade.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #7

Yes thanks everyone, very helpful, the plastic that Tafische mentions makes complete sense! And Lady W,s info will be stored in my memory when I need it
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

LadyW,
Thanks 110%! Excellent info.
Any pointers for getting new foam into the cover? I expect a bit of a wrestling match getting a slightly thicker (and more dense) chunk of foam into the cover.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #9

On my old "Krapstone Zeppelin" I used the memory foam from from an old mattress when I replaced the foam in the seat cushions. worked very well for me.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

To get the foam into the cover try one of two things...

#1 Place it in a plastic bag.. it slides better.. then tear out the plastic and throw it away.
#2 purchase silicone spray lubricant and spray the inside of the cover first before inserting the cushion.. careful this spray is very slippery if it gets on the floor.
#3 Also make sure you snug the foam into the corners with your hand... and then... GET YOUR KIDS TO JUMP ON THE CUSHIONS! No I am not kidding.. we did this all the time when we had the upholstery shop.. and the kids loved helping in this way!

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
#3 Also make sure you snug the foam into the corners with your hand... and then... GET YOUR KIDS TO JUMP ON THE CUSHIONS! No I am not kidding.. we did this all the time when we had the upholstery shop.. and the kids loved helping in this way!
Our son is 33. Don't think I want him jumping on the cushions. But the grandson, hmmmm, that just might work.:hihi:

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote