Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Considering the 32thds bunkhouse any feedback

We are considering a 2016 32thds travel trailer. We are a family of seven and I haven't come across anything else that will fit all the kids in one room. I would love a second door for the restroom but I'm not sure if that is worth trying to possible get a smaller bunkhouse. Also the bedroom really bothers me with absolutely no space to walk in front of the bed. Is that an issue? Please let me know your thoughts. Things you love or things that bother you after your purchase.
Thank you!!!
Amf2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF and happy trailer shopping.

Not sure why you'd want a smaller bunkhouse with a family of seven. Do you already have a tow vehicle that can tow the 32thds?

Also did you mean "... no space to walk in front OF the bed."?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:53 PM   #3

Yes, my husband has a large enough vehicle to pull it.
And yes in front of the bed. Is that standard? This will be our first rv purchase. I want to make sure I'm looking at important features.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amf2015 View Post
snip...
And yes in front of the bed. Is that standard? This will be our first rv purchase. I want to make sure I'm looking at important features.
A standard space in front of the bed? No. All kinds of things change from model to model and year to year. That does look tight on the floorplan, but with sliding doors on both sides of the bed there'd be little reason to pass through that way very often (IMO).

Do you know the size of the queen bed? It may be an 'RV queen' and those are a bit shorter than a standard queen. If you need a standard queen mattress, it could fit, but then there'd be NO space at the end of the bed and the wall.

There are many decisions to make so ask any question. You'll get many responses and not all of them will agree, but hopefully you'll have a better background to decide what makes sense to you.

I will say that if you order a new unit, consider the Cargo Accessory Receiver ($180). That will allow you to mount extra storage or a bike rack to the rear to the TT. Trailer bumpers are too flimsy to hold bike racks etc.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

We went with a 33rlds we put 2 hide a beds and the dinning table turns into a bed. So you can sleep 5 or 6. We looked at the same trailer a you but the kids wanted a big family room area and figured they only need beds for sleep pus the can all watch tv anyway. Plus there is room for a air mattress so you could sleep 8 in the family room if they had freinds. But the nice thing was the master bedroom has a entrance to the bathroom and room to walk around. A different thought but has worked perfect for our family.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

AMF,

Welcome!!!

The model your looking at, is the Jay Flight 32 TSBH, correct? If so, our 32 BHDS has the center entertainment center with an entrance to the front bedroom on each side. I haven't really noticed an issue with not being able to easily walk at the end of the bed. IF I HAD to state one thing, it is when we are packing for (unpacking from) a trip and the slide is in and have to crawl over the bed. Yes, the slide could be put out, but I try not to do so unless the stabilizer jacks are down. That is the only thing I can think of... We actually have a fold up big cushion bag chair stored under the overhang of the bed. Though it is about to get removed as my wife didn't use it at all this past season.

Know that the manufactures "brochure" dry weights are only a reference point. The weights do not include options, even those that are "mandatory options". And the dry tw (tongue weight)/ hitch weight does not include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery on the tongue.

As for your tv (tow vehicle), what is it that you guys have? With that trailer, and having a family of 7, you would need a 2500/3500 van, an Excursion or a 2500 Suburban, or a 2500/3500 truck (3500 being the better of the two). The weight of all passengers, any cargo in the vehicle, any accessories added after it left the factory, the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) are all counted toward the available payload of the tv. If the tv is newer than an '06 ( I think it is) it will have a yellow sticker in the drivers door jamb stating "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs". That is the available payload for your particular vehicle as built when it left the assembly line.

Good luck in your quest of finding the perfect trailer!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #7

Welcome aboard and happy shopping for your new trailer.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

I just noticed your response. So, we ended up holding a unit that had the accessory cargo hitch. They had two units to pick the only difference was the color. We looked at it on Saturday and guess what's missing is the Cargo Accessory hitch! We put that down on the purchase agreement as missing but apparently the other color didn't come with it so I'm now requesting them to order it as i'm paying the same price for the unit!!!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Thank you my husband has a 3500 15 passenger van. I think its called a 3500. He said the engine is large enough to pull the unit. Thank goodness.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #10

The master bedroom is the biggest downfall. We looked at the unit and there is no space in front of the bed. You have to walk out and around to move! For the price and the size of the bunkhouse my husband thinks is fine. It may be a challenge to even get dressed! I told him the bathroom isn't any bigger.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

I have a 2014 32 tsbh. We love it even with its drawbacks. The front bedroom is a little small. Im 6'2" and about 240 lbs. My feet do touch the bedroom door when door is open. I just close the door and I'm fine. I get dressed on my side and my wife on hers not a problem. The bath is a little small but not too bad. The best thing is the rear bedroom, my kids love it. They get to bring their friends. The bunk above the outdoor kitchen is real small, and we rarely use it except for storage. Invest in a bunk ladder, it helps the kids get in bed. I really love the pull out sofa, not the jackknife sofa, i think it is one of the best sleeping spots in the trailer. I added an extra TV to the front bedroom, split cable wire in living room and made a hanger out of an over the door hook. Lets me relax in my bedroom.
ltslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

The bedroom is one reason we went with the 338 rets with the bed slide... I only wish they had a bed slide on smaller campers , I cant see a downside to a bed slide as far as room goes on a shorter camper. Our old camper had bed from front to rear and there wasn't room to change clothes in the bedroom, so that was one thing we looked for in a new one
Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amf2015 View Post
We are considering a 2016 32thds travel trailer. We are a family of seven and I haven't come across anything else that will fit all the kids in one room. I would love a second door for the restroom but I'm not sure if that is worth trying to possible get a smaller bunkhouse. Also the bedroom really bothers me with absolutely no space to walk in front of the bed. Is that an issue? Please let me know your thoughts. Things you love or things that bother you after your purchase.
Thank you!!!
Are you referring to the 32TSBH? Or, the 32BHDS? Either way, that's a lot of trailer for your van. We are in a similar situation and also have a Chevy Express 3500 (12 passenger version) and have also looked at the 32BHDS, but I'm worried about the weight.

Your van has a total GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 16,000#'s and a curb weight of around 6,400#'s. The camper that you are looking at is going to be in the 8-9,000# range dry. Let's say you were able to keep it at 8,500#'s. That only leaves you 1,100#'s for all your passengers, cargo, batteries, etc. And with a family of 7, you will likely be over your GCWR.

Think of it this way. If your family weighs ~750#'s + 1,500 pounds of cargo + 6,400 van weight + 8,500 dry camper weight, then you are at 17,150#'s. Which puts you over your GCWR by over 1,000#'s. That's something to consider, on paper it's too much for your van.

On the other hand, there's one member here that does tow a 32BHDS with a std. length version of the same van and likes the way the van handles the unit. I know all this, because we really want the 32 BHDS for our family of 5, but in the end decided it might be too much camper for our van to comfortably handle. As always, YMMV :-)
glbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrekker View Post
Are you referring to the 32TSBH? Or, the 32BHDS? Either way, that's a lot of trailer for your van. We are in a similar situation and also have a Chevy Express 3500 (12 passenger version) and have also looked at the 32BHDS, but I'm worried about the weight.

Your van has a total GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 16,000#'s and a curb weight of around 6,400#'s. The camper that you are looking at is going to be in the 8-9,000# range dry. Let's say you were able to keep it at 8,500#'s. That only leaves you 1,100#'s for all your passengers, cargo, batteries, etc. And with a family of 7, you will likely be over your GCWR.

Think of it this way. If your family weighs ~750#'s + 1,500 pounds of cargo + 6,400 van weight + 8,500 dry camper weight, then you are at 17,150#'s. Which puts you over your GCWR by over 1,000#'s. That's something to consider, on paper it's too much for your van.

On the other hand, there's one member here that does tow a 32BHDS with a std. length version of the same van and likes the way the van handles the unit. I know all this, because we really want the 32 BHDS for our family of 5, but in the end decided it might be too much camper for our van to comfortably handle. As always, YMMV :-)

We also have a 3500 12 passenger van and didn't feel good about this much weight. After crunching the numbers, we chose the 26bhsw. We have a family of 8. Four of our kids are tiny enough for the bunks, and the teens sleep on the couch and dinette. Would have loved something bigger, but feel good about our choice.
Eatersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #15

How about the 33RBTS floorplan? Fits our family of 6 plus two dogs. No issues with the size of the front bedroom, and the bathroom is a good size as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #16

Good to see owners making responsible choices on here and acknowledging the limits of their vehicle and the importance of safety.