Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Site Team

Convert ZAMP Pre-Wired RV's to Standard MC4 connectors

Since a lot of the RV's are prewired for ZAMP Solar panels and we all know that ZAMP SOLAR panels cost a lot more than regular (Renogy...) SOLAR panels, here is the easy INEXPENSIVE way of converting the RV's prewired ZAMP SOLAR outlets (BDCRT connectors) mounted on the RV's roof or side and at the battery location. This could save you a few hundred dollars and more if you expand the system.

1. Purchase a BDCRT extension cable
( https://www.amazon.com/CES-Gauge-Qui...0S34C5Q3N0RXC6 )

2. Purchase a MC4 extension cable
( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L6OU5EY?psc=1 )
Order one that will give you extra wire to hook up your battery compartment connection to your SOLAR CHARGE CONTROLLER on Amazon.

3. Cut the BDCRT cable in half. One end will plug into the exterior ZAMP Prewired connector and the other end will plug into the ZAMP Prewired connector by the battery. You now have a RED and BLACK wire pigtail at each of the prewired connectors. On the exterior connector, I would plug it in just about all the way and insert some caulking then push the connector in the rest of the way to insure a water tight connection.

4. You now need to modify the ends of the exterior (only) pigtail to the MC4 SOLAR standard connector. This is pretty much the SOLAR industry standard connector.

5. Cut the male/female ends off of the MC4 cable, leaving enough wire to connect it to the pigtail. On the exterior connection, connect the RED wire from the pigtail (BDCRT) to the RED wire of the MC4 connector. Black wire from pigtail to Black wire of MC4 connector. I would recommend making this connection in a waterproof 4x4 electrical box that you glue to the roof. You can then make the connection from the SOLAR panel extension wire to the new MC4 conversion cable. I would recommend soldering the wires together, but using wire nuts will do as long as you fill the wire nut with a caulking.

6. For the battery location, you can use the excess cable left over from the MC4 extension cable you purchased to connect the prewired BDCRT pigtail to your SOLAR Charge Controller. I recommend installing a fuse between the pigtail and the SOLAR Charge controller.

Before hooking up the SOLAR panel wiring to the SOLAR charge controller, make sure you test the wires (with a volt meter) that you will be connecting to the SOLAR charge controller to ensure that the RED wire has a POSITIVE voltage on it

That is about it. If you know how to order from Amazon, cut a wire, twist a wire, twist on a few wire nuts, drill a hole in a waterproof 4x4 electrical box, screw on the cover... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Don

One word of caution for ZAMP SOLAR panel owners, from the documentation I have read, ZAMP SOLAR panels output is REVERSED POLARITY... SOLAR Panel's Positive (RED) wire is actually Negative and the PANEL's BLACK wire is POSITIVE. Just to confuse us of course. The RV Prewired OK, wiring should be Red to Red and Black to Black.
Attached Thumbnails
SOLAR - MC4 Solar Extention Cable - Amazon.jpg   SOLAR - ZAMP Solar 10 Gauge Disconnect Harness.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

Thanks for this Don. My charge controller will accept up to 8 gauge wire so I'm running with that everywhere I can. Have to watch out for those voltage losses Some of your info will help me with a project I have in the queue.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

Wow Mustang65, this is a life saver!! Thank you.
intlmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #4

I have pre wired MC4 connection on my roof.
Which trailers have the other on the roof?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote