Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Costco Champion Generators on sale currently

Not to start a new generator thread, but I wanted to point out that for anyone that has considered picking up one of the Champion Inverter generators (I've had one on my wish list for about a year now)

They are currently on sale.

The dual gas / propane model is 150 bucks off:
https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html

It's a little cheaper than the Honda EU2000, (850 bucks vs. 1000) produces ~1000 watts more power, so you can probably run your AC with it, rated at 58 decibels, is dual fuel.

The gas only version isn't showing as being on sale, but it's 100 bucks cheaper than it was last time I checked:
https://www.costco.com/Champion-2800...100302560.html

I'm ordering one of them tonight (having a problem deciding which one)..
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

I just ordered the 699.00 one. I'll give a review when it shows up.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

Do you know, if Costco Champion 2000W at all?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

I would love to get one myself, it's just not in my finance.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Do you know, if Costco Champion 2000W at all?
Check out Amazon. Bought a pair of them at $498 each with free shipping. Also purchased the Champion Power Equipment 73500i 30A RV Ready Parallel Kit for Linking (2) Stackable Inverter Generators 1600 to 2000 Watts. Will support a 15K btu rooftop AC plus almost everything except the microwave at the same time.

Lighter than the larger unit, but only uses gasoline.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Check out Amazon. Bought a pair of them at $498 each with free shipping. Also purchased the Champion Power Equipment 73500i 30A RV Ready Parallel Kit for Linking (2) Stackable Inverter Generators 1600 to 2000 Watts. Will support a 15K btu rooftop AC plus almost everything except the microwave at the same time.

Lighter than the larger unit, but only uses gasoline.
2nd generator on this page, 439 so maybe they might have gone down in price too, for the 2000 watt model. I didn't know they even had these honestly.

Champion Generators at Amazon

Too late for me, they shipped my costco one this afternoon

I wanted the dual propane just in case, but had to shave some money off the deal to get my wife on board.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

2000 watt model is routinely for $440 on Amazon. You can get is for the same price from Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and w/o tax (depending where you live). I would prefer to get it from Costco as they have generous return policy - I am not sure whether I would like the gen, I may need it only 2-3 times per year.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
2000 watt model is routinely for $440 on Amazon. You can get is for the same price from Houzz - Home Design, Decorating and Remodeling Ideas and Inspiration, Kitchen and Bathroom Design and w/o tax (depending where you live). I would prefer to get it from Costco as they have generous return policy - I am not sure whether I would like the gen, I may need it only 2-3 times per year.
Yeah, I hear that. I already have one of the larger capacity 'construction' generators in my garage. I think it's 3500 watts. I've used it maybe 4 times in the last 2 years. That one is for power outages here at the house and we don't get many of those, but It can run the fridge, my router, modem and computer and a handful of other things so I never go offline unless I want to.

You can hear it running over a block away though so it's a no-go on 90% of the boondocking trips we want to get into this year. I'm thinking about selling it since it only has about 6 hours on it.

Last year was our first with the new camper and that battery is only good for 2 days, we want to be out for a week at a time. Starting with the generator first allows us to do that immediately. I'm upgrading the battery system and installing my 200 watt solar system which I bought over the winter. I don't want to rely on the generator that much, but I think it will be valuable leg of our power plan for years to come.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

Something to keep in mind is all of the electronics we all have in our units. Generators need to be inverter type. They produce a more stable sine wave and have built in electronics to help prevent spikes when voltage/amperage demands occur.

In addition to protecting computers, DVD players, TVs, etc from spike that can easily destroy electronics, the built-in power inverter (120 to 12 v) will take less of hit.

Also, from what I've seen (heard) in the field, the inverter units seem to be quieter. And they are lighter (important for us more mature types), plus they are easier on fuel.

Here is two explanations of the difference between inverters and generators.

http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/conven...generator.html

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-d...onal-generator
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Something to keep in mind is all of the electronics we all have in our units. Generators need to be inverter type. They produce a more stable sine wave and have built in electronics to help prevent spikes when voltage/amperage demands occur.

In addition to protecting computers, DVD players, TVs, etc from spike that can easily destroy electronics, the built-in power inverter (120 to 12 v) will take less of hit.

Also, from what I've seen (heard) in the field, the inverter units seem to be quieter. And they are lighter (important for us more mature types), plus they are easier on fuel.

Here is one explanation of the difference between inverters and generators.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-d...onal-generator
All true. So for my house backup system, that backs up my computers - that power gets routed through a large uninterruptible power supply, with built in surge protection. That old generator is only charging batteries in that role.

You are correct though regarding the inverter generators. They *are* quieter, generally more portable, and produce cleaner power. It's why I bought one
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:

Not to derail but if I am using my inverter generator (Champion 2800/3100 gas) should I be using my surge protector? will it work with the generator? (Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C)
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Not to derail but if I am using my inverter generator (Champion 2800/3100 gas) should I be using my surge protector? will it work with the generator? (Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C)
The EMS will work with your generator. I'd use it... no downside to doing so. People that have the hard wired EMS are going to be using it by default, people using the portable EMS can decide if they want to or not... but generators have been known to fail from time to time, and not all that gracefully when they do. So I would use the EMS regardless of power source.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #13

Noticed a few on here mentioned they were being shipped... Wonder how that happens since the generators have a fuel tank and oil reservoir... Maybe you have to go pick them up somewhere close by to your location???

I buy alot of things from AMAZON but never considered anything with a fuel motor...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Noticed a few on here mentioned they were being shipped... Wonder how that happens since the generators have a fuel tank and oil reservoir... Maybe you have to go pick them up somewhere close by to your location???

I buy alot of things from AMAZON but never considered anything with a fuel motor...

Roy Ken
I bought one shipped from Costco last year. There is no fuel and the oil comes in a plastic bottle that you install after delivery.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I bought one shipped from Costco last year. There is no fuel and the oil comes in a plastic bottle that you install after delivery.
X2 -

As long as there is no fuel in it, most carriers don't care and if the item is brand new, none of them do. I've ordered a small pit bike, 2 generators now and my Ariens snowblower in the last couple years. It can get a little tricky if you need to return the item, and plan on shipping it back vs. having a local dealer / shop resolve the problem for you, but I know FedEx will take motors that have been previously used as long as the shipper drains everything and properly packages whatever it is, so it can't leak. It's kind of like shipping a firearm, they really don't care as long as it's unloaded / safe.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #16

Thanks for the shipping info with UPS and FEDX.. I have never ordered anything before with a gasoline engine on it... I guess this includes chain saw deals at AMAZON too...

I have ordered a deep cycle battery before and you had to have it go to a business auto garage address and go there and pick it up... This was shipped using motor freight I think... Not UPS or FEDX...

I'm gonna have to look into some of these store deals... Was just looking at those champion inverter generators that are stackable. I might have an application for a couple of those...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
~snip
I wanted the dual propane just in case, but had to shave some money off the deal to get my wife on board.
It is nice to have dual fuel but be aware that they don't run long on a tank of LP and the power output is lower. If you look on their website at 25% load you can get 19hrs on 20lb tank of LP.

However that 25% load is misleading. I am not sure if it will run at the 25% load when charging the house batteries. I know my Yamaha generators kick up to full power as soon as they see pretty much any load on them.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Thanks for the shipping info with UPS and FEDX.. I have never ordered anything before with a gasoline engine on it... I guess this includes chain saw deals at AMAZON too...

I have ordered a deep cycle battery before and you had to have it go to a business auto garage address and go there and pick it up... This was shipped using motor freight I think... Not UPS or FEDX...

I'm gonna have to look into some of these store deals... Was just looking at those champion inverter generators that are stackable. I might have an application for a couple of those...

Roy Ken
As long as it weighs less than 150 pounds, UPS will ship it normally. I feel bad for some of the drivers though. My first Champion generator probably weighs close to that and the woman that delivered it was maybe 100 lbs on a wet day. Glad I was home to help her get it off the truck or I have no idea what would have happened.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
The EMS will work with your generator. I'd use it... no downside to doing so. People that have the hard wired EMS are going to be using it by default, people using the portable EMS can decide if they want to or not... but generators have been known to fail from time to time, and not all that gracefully when they do. So I would use the EMS regardless of power source.
You do need to have a plug that ties neutral and ground together in order for the EMS to work properly with the generator. PI makes one here which is what I got:

Progressive Industries Generator Plug

I've also seen posts from those who have made the plug themselves for just a few bucks if you are comfortable doing that.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #20

I just picked up a used Champion generator, while it is not the Inverter type, it still will power my unit. 4000W start up and 3500W continuos. It only had 4 hours on it. I changed the oil and replaced the fuel that was left in the tank. Ran it and it powered the camper just fine. Ran the AC and it ran like a champ.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote