Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Crap---hail totaled my camper---now what do I do?

We had a hail storm here on April 10. It dented the heck out of my 184BH, put a dent in the antenna, and marked up the vent cover over the potty. Purely cosmetic stuff. We went back and forth about whether to have it looked at by adjuster. Finally decided to do so.

News came back---they totaled it. We bought it last spring and only got to camp in it a couple times. Had a fantastic fan installed at dealership and bought a cover.

Here are my options---they will give me $11,600 and take the camper. I would pay off my loan ($9000) and have some money for a down payment. Problem---the nearest 184BH is in Des Moines----not terribly far---but I'm getting alittle nervous about buying another one----you know how it it---one camper was made on Tues and is perfect--the next was made on Friday afternoon at quitting time---not so perfect!

The other option the adjuster mentioned was they would pay the bank $5100 and I would continue to pay on the balance. BUT----this is all up to the bank. If they don't want to be co-owners of a salvaged camper--they can say no deal. Now I'm desperate---I want my camper---this camper that I know and love. So I could offer to pay the other $4000 off now and it's nobody's worry but mine.

B U T----------------

If I do that----is my Jayco warranty void? If something breaks inside will they say no way------because it's a salvaged/totaled camper. I'm guessing it won't be covered????

Any thoughts or suggestions? Yesterday, after I got done crying----we went to the Jayco dealer and today to a dealer who shall remain nameless. Last night I was up till 5 am-----scouring the Internet for other light weight campers----there's just nothing I like as well as what I have!

Help---------- The conference call between the insurance company, bank and myself is supposed to be tomorrow.

Deely, Vickie, Skippy and Elli ( the Pugs!)
2012 Jay Flight Swift 184BH ( Hail damaged--released to ins. Co)

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
I don't know what to tell you, we had some hail damage but not to that extent. I don't know where this particular model is made. We were at the factory last year to see the assembly of Pinnacle trailers. It appears the components could be made any time of the week as well as the appliances. If it were me (I'm particular) take the deal and buy the new camper. I think if you keep it every time you look at it your tummy will turn. Bad luck but hail damage goes with the aluminum skin on campers.

2010 24FBS
2005 F150 extended cab
hotrod51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
I would take the money and get a new unit. The salvage title will be with that unit for the rest of it's life. When you go to sell it or trade it in the salvage title will come into play again.
TakeItEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
How would Jayco know your rig is totaled they dont look at stuff like that.. they process hundreds if not thousands of claims a day.. just dont try to get them to fix any of the hail damage under warranty..
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
140 days boondocking in 2016
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Crap---hail totaled my camper---now what do I do?

I would take the money pay off loan and buy a new one. You will not be happy going the other route.
lx22f/c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
I guess I would take the deal and then purchase it as salvage from the insurance company :-)
Otherwise, I would only take the deal if my other stuff was on warranty still.

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
I would take the money, and get a new camper
like others said, you'll always have it in the back of your mind *I would) that it was totalled.
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
If the OP had more equity in it, it might be beneficial to take the check for the totaled trailer, buy it back from the insurance company as salvage, and put new skin on it. Considering he is only going to end up with a couple of grand, in my opinion, trying to salvage and rebuild it wouldn't be worth it. I would put the $2000 down on a new unit with new warranty and go camping. JMHO
2010 22FB(Ret)
2013 F250 XLT
I now have a Keystone Outback, but I try to help when I can.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Well, since the damage is cosmetic and fixable I would be more inclined to keep the trailer and have the trailer half payed for. Just make sure there are no leaks in the trailer. Take your time and find a shop to fix it. It would take me a long time to save up 5 grand. Boat repair places could give you a better deal during the coming winter and in the mean time you have a great conversation starter with the person your camping next to. I totally understand the reason why others have suggested going the other route and for them that's the right thing to do. Good luck with your decision.
2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Another thing to consider is that when you go to sell or trade the trailer, and everyone eventually will, it's going to be hard to unload a trailer with a salvage title to a dealer as trade or to an individual. You also need to know if a salvaged trailer is insurable.

2010 22FB(Ret)
2013 F250 XLT
I now have a Keystone Outback, but I try to help when I can.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote