Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

critters chewing on power cord and LP hose

Anyone have any issue with critters (probably raccoon) chewing on shore cable and LP supply cable while the unit was parked minding its own business?

I had two tanks of gas disappear and I blamed it on a bad regulator. Found evidence this afternoon of something chewing on the 30amp shore cord. Then while tying to figure out the LP problem - it came to me that maybe the critter had chewed on the LP hose too. I usually keep the extension cord off the ground on a concrete block. The block provided the critter a comfortable place to sit and chew!

Luckily it was the outside LP grill connection (that I never use) that was compromised so I disconnected it and plugged the t-connector.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #2

Reading your thread reminded me of a time I was working with a customer up on the continental divide. It was dark by the time we were done and when I started my pickup it ran like crap. It was 22 miles out to the highway and another 40 back to the motel. It never got any better and when I stopped at the motel I left it running and opened the hood. It looked like an electrical storm in the engine compartment. I looked closer at it the next morning and some squirrel or chipmunk took bite sized chunks of the coating off the spark plug wires. From the amount missing he had to weigh 10 pounds when he left. Nothing that a new set of wires couldn't cure but I'll never forget the sight that night when I looked under the hood.
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Site Team

Wow, that`s a new one. I bet that LP gas was real tasty!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas111 View Post
Anyone have any issue with critters (probably raccoon) chewing on shore cable and LP supply cable while the unit was parked minding its own business?

I see you have a 2013. It seems that there have been more and more reports of critters chewing on newer vehicle wiring. Some suggest that it is related to the new formulation soy (or vegetable) based environmentally friendly plastic compounds.

I wonder if they are now using different compounds for RV hoses and power cables? I have no data to support that concept.
vic
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

I found my propane line chewed. Hubby read a suggestion on line to cover them in garden hose. That's what I did. Haven't noticed anything since. However, I haven't closely inspected it either.
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Haven't had the problem, but squirrels are usually the "culprits". We had a friend that had a squirrel get in their TT, took out water lines, and electric wires to the tune of around $3,000.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

While we camped in LaPine State Park south of Bend last month all of us observed chipmunks staying busy running under and jumping up into TTs, TVs, whatever, and returning to their holes with small bits of insulation or whatnot. Thought it amusing at first until I started thinking about those little suckers dragging stuff out of our TT or TV. Then we made it a point to scare them away from the TT or TV when we could. It would be interesting to excavate one of their hidy holes to see exactly what they stow down there!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Sounds like a job for The Turtleman!!

I'm watchin' him now......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #9

We had the same problem with our previous class c (1997 Jayco Eagle 29FL). A squirrel had chewed the rubber LP hose. After replacing the hose I wrapped the entire length of the rubber section with sticky-backed aluminum tape and did not have a repeat performance.
Member of Four Rivers Jayco, Flt 9
LialeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

A bit different but close enough. We have a dickens of a time with squirrels chewing through Christmas lights that are along the ground. I like the idea of the aluminum tape though..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

I had same critter chew through my LP line also. Took me awhile to figure it out. I thought I had bad regulator. Luckily it was the line for outside grill so I simply unhooked it.