Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
snip...
However, at the border we were detained for a secondary inspection. Crossing during a non-rush hour time, which was our plan, seemed to work against us, as we had to answer to 5 different agents. I could hear them slamming cabinet doors in the Jayco. In all, they spent about 15 minutes looking through it and the truck. They did manage to confiscate my wife's pepper spray.

A bit unsettling, but being that we had nothing to hide and were totally honest, it was worth it. Surely wouldn't let it keep me from traveling here again. I appreciate that Canada wants to keep their country safe.

Cheers,
Greg
I've crossed many times at many different locations and I believe it is all 'luck of the draw'. I would never choose to cross during rush hour and don't believe that has any bearing - one way or the other - on the level of checking they do or might do.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #42

Bear spray is legal in Canada. Can be purchased at many outdoor retail stores.

I grew up in and around bears and bear spray is the greatest naturalist placebo. To put it in a perspective my American friends may understand, "if you like your bear spray you can keep your bear spray". Ineffective, untrue, but makes us feel good when we go stomping around in Yogi's kitchen. Bears like nothing better on their snack than a little pepper.....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #43

Back home safely. Had a great time. There's a lot to do around the Niagara Falls area besides the usual tourist trap BS. Crossing the border back into the USA was uneventful. Agent asked to see the RV registration, and seemed surprised that I produced it immediately. After that he said we were good to go. Thanks to everyone who offered tips and advice.

Cheers, Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #44

As mentioned, stayed at KOA in Westfield, NY on the way north. I would rate it so so.

Stayed 4 nights at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park just outside Niagara Falls. Of course, it's well before peak season, and much was going on to get the CG ready. But we could see that it would be a great place for a family. Nicely laid out lots. No complaints with electric or water. Bath house facilities could use some updating, but they were clean. Sewer connection in our lot was located nicely, and was ground level, making it easy to get a nice steady drop on the sewer line. That's important for me, because I actually use my sewer hose support. Seems I see a lot of people who don't. Hose is directly on ground, and in some CGs, with an uphill run at the dump end. What's up with that? Anyway, CG was reasonably peaceful for the 2 of us, as there were maybe 20 RVs in the entire CG. Only complaint we have is that the QEW is within 400-500 feet, and big rigs run 24-7. And I mean 24-7. Having said that, we would definitely stay there again.

Cheers, Greg
Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post

I grew up in and around bears and bear spray is the greatest naturalist placebo. To put it in a perspective my American friends may understand, "if you like your bear spray you can keep your bear spray". Ineffective, untrue, but makes us feel good when we go stomping around in Yogi's kitchen. Bears like nothing better on their snack than a little pepper.....
Yes, it is legal but has to labelled as an animal repellent accordingly. Mace, pepper spray, or otherwise that is not labelled for animals is considered a prohibited weapon in Canada.

bsf5044: Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-13-2-eng.pdf

Exception: Aerosol or similar dispensers that contain substances capable of repelling or subduing animals (e.g. dog or bear repellent) are not considered prohibited weapons if:
(i) the label of the container indicates specifically that it is for use against animals only; and
(ii) the provisions of the
Pest Control Products Act are met.
(iii) In order for a device or dispenser to be considered to meet the above criteria, it must be apparent that the device was designed exclusively for the control or use against animals. The manufacturer’s label and specifications will be deemed as the design of the product. The misuse of these or any other similar device may nonetheless be punishable under other laws.
(iv) Please note that there is no minimum quantity or capacity requirements (in terms of grams or milliliters) in making the determination with respect to animal repellents.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post

How to tell Black Bear scat from Grizzly bear scat.. Black bear scat contains some leafs and berry seeds.. Grizzly bear scat contains small bells and smells like pepper..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #47

Crossing Border to Niagara Falls, Canada

There are only two types of bears at Jellystone Niagara. They are named Yogi and Booboo. This is how my son defended us a few weeks ago there from them. No need for bear spray.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433015027.000360.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	18328Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433015042.484765.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	18329
Old 06-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #48

Crossing the border is not a difficult endeavor. Just realize that the Officer has a job to do. Answer the Officer's questions in a direct truthful manner and you should not have any problems.

You are always subject to inspection and search when crossing the border. There does not have to be a reason for it and it may just be random.

Remember the folks working the border are law enforcement officers. They have spent a lot of time and effort to obtain their job. In many cases their academy is longer that the traditional police academy that patrol officers in your home communities go to. Most if not all of them will not be appreciative and will probably consider being referred to as a border guard as an insult as has been used in five pages of posts in this thread.

FB
Firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:39 AM   #49

Not A RV question, but thought someone might be able to give some recommendations. We will be at Golden Hill State Park early July then crossing over into Canada the following week with our RV. Since we will be in the Niagara Falls area on July 4th, where the best place to view the fireworks. Would I need or would you recommend tickers or reservations?
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
Not A RV question, but thought someone might be able to give some recommendations. We will be at Golden Hill State Park early July then crossing over into Canada the following week with our RV. Since we will be in the Niagara Falls area on July 4th, where the best place to view the fireworks. Would I need or would you recommend tickers or reservations?
Canada Day is July 1st. July 4th is the American holiday as you know.

Won't be anything happening July 4th on the Canadian side. I don't know if the US does anything on the Horse Shoe Falls side or not.

Sorry. Just didn't want you expecting the skies to be lit up on July 4th in Canada. Won't happen But if you are in Canada July 1st I'm sure there will be lots of fireworks around Niagara Falls.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #51

The Peace Bridge would be a better place to cross with a trailer than the rainbow bridge at the falls. There are more customs gates at the Peace Bridge and less traffic. You also won't have to navigate through city streets at the Peace Bridge.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #52

The Peace Bridge was definitely an easy cross. And it took us straight onto the QEW, which led us to within a 1/2 mile of our CG. It provided everything we wanted, which was to avoid getting into any tight spots.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
... But if you are in Canada July 1st I'm sure there will be lots of fireworks around Niagara Falls.
Fort George (Niagara on the Lake) has Canada Day fireworks for certain. I assume that Fort Erie has them also.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote