Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Produce/meat, guns, and a criminal record will be problematic. By the way those four things are also problematic for us Canadians going south. Treat the guard with respect and answer the questions honestly and all will go well. Also make sure you have your vet records if your bringing a pet. I cross the borders regularly and it is quicker to find smaller crossings.

If you are not doing or bringing anything in you shouldn't, then why miss the opportunity to travel in one of the most beautiful and safe countries in the world. Easy communications, great exchange rate on your currency, smooth highways, and friendly people. Don't miss out on weeks of fabulous camping because of 30 minutes at the border.

This message brought to by.......
cariboocreek
X2
TT 2011 Jay Flight RKS24 (sold)
TV 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 Litre Hemi 3.55 gears
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400is
jddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #22

There is actually construction on the 190n by exit 9 (peace bridge) going on right now. I believe they are expanding the peace bridge plaza. I drive by it 3 to 4 times a week going to and from my bosses restaurants. It hasn't bothered my drive cause I don't exit, but the cars exiting seem to back up a bit. Just a little heads up for you.

I also agree on gas prices. They sure look cheap on the pump until you realize it's a per liter price.
Tai95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Just a comment about the one of the two experiences I had entering Canada and returning to the U.S.

My wife and I were riding a motorcycle. Entering Canada was no problem. However, returning to the U.S. had a problem. They wanted to see my wife's ID. It was in the tour pack and she must get off the motorcycle to retrieve it. Now the Catch 22 ensues:

Crossing guard: I need to see your ID.
[Wife proceeds to get of the motorcycle to get it]
Crossing guard: You can't get off the motorcycle.
Wife: My ID is in the tour pack.
Wife: I must get off to get it.
Crossing guard: You can't get off.
Wife: If you want to see my ID I must get off.
Wife: I need to get off to get it.
Crossing guard: You can't get off.
Me: Look, either she gets off to get it or you don't see it. Now make up your mind which way you want it. You can't have it both ways.

He finally let us pass.

These crossing guards have a very limited ability to reason on their own and follow the book chapter and verse. And with a zero sense of humor.
Great story.

"And with a zero sense of humor."

Most times, but not always.

My favorite border cross story. This is many years ago. The story involves adult entertainment, so be warned.

Back in the day a friend of mine worked customs/immigration on the Rainbow Bridge (N.F., N.Y, to N.F., Canada). His daughter took piano lessons in N.F., Canada. He needed to drop his daughter off, but didn't need to be to the bridge for a couple hours.

The Canadian Ballet was convenient, he wasn't in uniform, so he dropped in. During his time drinking his Pepsi there was a guy who ended up on stage. There was edible garments involved. The guy ate the red licorice tie straps.

Shortly after that my buddy left to go to work. He was on station in time to have "stage boy" pull up to his booth.

After asking all the required questions my friend casually asked, "So how was that licorice?".

Taken aback the guy replied "What?".

"The licorice you ate up on stage. How did it taste?".

The guy stammered, "How do you know about that?".

My friend pointing at his computer terminal, "You'd be surprised what we have logged in there.". "Move along!", and he waved him on.

To this day I'm certain that the poor guy thinks he's somehow being watched every time he goes to Canada.

Sorry to go on. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #24

If going to Jellystone it makes sense to go peace bridge at ft Erie. Have a great time at the park. We go there often and the staff is amazing and the park,including washrooms is very very clean
Old 04-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #25

We had an issue crossing into Canada at Niagara towing a 29 foot travel trailer. After a huge traffic jam going over the bridge we finally (1 hour later) arrived in Canada with 2 pieces of firewood in back of SUV. The border officer made us take the wood back into the US. More traffic getting back and then we had to find a spot to "dump" the wood. Paid the toll again and waited in yet more traffic. Once across the bridge, the officer just waived us on. We will never carry firewood again!
bethcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #26

I just came across this past Friday night. Eggs and chicken are now banned from the USA into Canada due to the Avian flu.

They sent me in and told me either to go back to Wal-Mart and return them, or surrender them to the agents.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency will tell you what is allowed into Canada.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #27

Rosie and I were coming back from Canada via Peace bridge, and the agent asked if he could come in to look around our RV, he instructed me to turn it off, and hand him the keys.
He came in looked around, lifted up the mattress , opened a few cupboards, and then the refrigerator. "What's in the pot? " he says, instead of "lamb stew" , I said,
" I don't smoke Pot"
He really laughed, as I told him I bought 4 bottles of Crown Royal at the duty free shop. He let us pass, I still see him regularly and he waves!
Greydennyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #28

Purpose is not to upset the folks on the N side of the border, But I would say its a lot of hassle at best and a real PITA on the bad side. There are very nice CG's on the US side and a whole lot easier to travel over the border without the TT. Can you do it? Yes Will it be a problem? Maybe not ? Luck of the draw, forgetfulness on your part, or inclusion of some obscure item [food for my dog] and you will wish you had picked that NY state Park near Niagra.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #29

It is the same going both ways.. I have met some real AH US boarder guards and some real nice ones.. Many have no sense of humor so don't try to joke with them. The same applies to the Canadian guards.. My buddy works for Canada Customs and I asked him it there was a secret handshake or signal that would smooth my crossing.. he laughed and said NO..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #30

Great information...

My wife is freaked out about going there this year.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #31

No need to be freaked out. We are just like you. If it wasn't for an imaginary dashed line on the 49th parallel then you wouldn't know the difference. If the possibility of a small delay at a border crossing keeps you from travelling north then it is your loss. With exchange rates currently at 20% it is even financially a win for you to travel to Canada.

Camping is about the adventure. Get out of your comfort zone and explore the world.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
No need to be freaked out. We are just like you. If it wasn't for an imaginary dashed line on the 49th parallel then you wouldn't know the difference. If the possibility of a small delay at a border crossing keeps you from travelling north then it is your loss. With exchange rates currently at 20% it is even financially a win for you to travel to Canada.

Camping is about the adventure. Get out of your comfort zone and explore the world.
x10

Well said.

I did start my 1st post with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
I've only crossed to Canada a couple times towing a travel trailer, but I cross often towing my sailboat to regattas. To date I have never been pulled over for secondary inspection while towing. (knock/touch wood) ...
That is with over 40+ years of border crossing. Much of it towing my boat.

My knocking/touching wood superstition is used for any time I mention not having had any engine troubles, wheel bearing troubles, marital troubles, etc.

Crossing the border either direction is no big deal providing that you have your passports and general house in order. "House in order" is as simple as your reason for crossing being logical. Back in the day when I was behind the wheel heading across for the occasional boys night out adult entertainment, I would say exactly where we were going. That freaked out some of the guys with me, but not one official ever batted an eye at that whether male or female. Just tell the truth.

Make certain to have Canadian Bacon for breakfast and Poutine when the opportunity presents itself. I find the Poutine in the Montreal area is especially well put together.

Happy Travels
vic

P.S. - If you have any under age guest children with you be certain to have letters/documentation from the parents stating they know and consent to the border crossing. (Sorry to alarm, but forewarned is forearmed.)
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #33

A cousin of mine and her husband crossed into Canada (not sure of where). When asked if he had handguns, DH said "No" which was not the truth. After the border patrol found the guns in the glove compartment DW (and surely DH) wished he had told the truth as they carted him off to jail and it took some talking to get him out of the situation.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #34

Well, we're here.

Left Ohio Sunday at 10:00 AM and drove to KOA in Westfield, NY, where we spent the night. Didn't even unhook the truck. That left us 85 miles to our CG in Niagara Falls. Crossed Peace Bridge and arrived here and were set up by 1:00.

However, at the border we were detained for a secondary inspection. Crossing during a non-rush hour time, which was our plan, seemed to work against us, as we had to answer to 5 different agents. I could hear them slamming cabinet doors in the Jayco. In all, they spent about 15 minutes looking through it and the truck. They did manage to confiscate my wife's pepper spray.

A bit unsettling, but being that we had nothing to hide and were totally honest, it was worth it. Surely wouldn't let it keep me from traveling here again. I appreciate that Canada wants to keep their country safe.

Cheers,
Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #35

We are planning to cross early July. So I am following your posts.

Question about pepper spray. I was told that pepper spray was considered a weapon thus illegal but that bear spray was permitted. Does anyone know if this is true? I do carry a few canisters of bear spray.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
We are planning to cross early July. So I am following your posts.

Question about pepper spray. I was told that pepper spray was considered a weapon thus illegal but that bear spray was permitted. Does anyone know if this is true? I do carry a few canisters of bear spray.
Mid July for us....Wife is all kinda nervous.

She is going to crack under the pressure...

Old 05-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #37

The bear spray comment is entirely true. The agent mentioned it to my wife by name when she mentioned that she carries pepper spray because a dogs in our neighborhood.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #38

Ironically, just saw on the Buffalo news that a man was taken into custody today for trying to cross into Canada, via Peace Bridge, while concealing a loaded handgun.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Well, we're here.

However, at the border we were detained for a secondary inspection. Crossing during a non-rush hour time, which was our plan, seemed to work against us, as we had to answer to 5 different agents. I could hear them slamming cabinet doors in the Jayco. In all, they spent about 15 minutes looking through it and the truck. They did manage to confiscate my wife's pepper spray.

Cheers,
Greg
We went through that in 2004 when we crossed over in North Dakota.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post
... Does anyone know if this is true? I do carry a few canisters of bear spray.
I do know that pepper spray is not allowed and as was mentioned above, it will be confiscated if discovered. So far I haven't heard of any problems beyond the undeclared spray just being confiscated. That is as opposed to undeclared firearms or military style weapons (eg. - special purpose/large knives) which have the very real potential to land you in jail.

Bear spray...
It certainly is not out of the question that a camper heading to the north woods might be carrying that. If you can't verify 100% that it is ok I would just carry one can. That way you don't lose your entire inventory.

FWIW vic