Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Dealers make the difference

We had a great experience buying our camper. Our salesman was not pushy, wasn't gimmicky, didn't try to sell us a camper that was too heavy for our vehicle. He answered all of our questions and found out the answers when he didn't know right away. He even gave us his cell phone number while he was away for 3 days during the week. This guy wanted our business. The dealership worked with us to give us a great deal, and we walked out with a great trailer and knowing we paid exactly what we wanted to pay to get it. We've already brought it back once for something silly (operator error on our part) and they couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. I would recommend them to anyone, anytime. Prior to buying our RV there, they've serviced our pop-up for inspections and random repairs. So even on a rig that wasn't bought there, they have been top notch.

My inlaws bought a small Starcraft hybrid from Camping World, the same day we bought our 23B. They have had the WORST experience, the WORST service I have ever seen. (We warned them not to go there after dealing with a schiester salesman there ourself when we were shopping for the pop up, and apparently they haven't gotten any better) My poor IL's haven't even been able to camp in their camper yet. It's brand new, yet a stabilizer was broken when they got it, the dining table was smashed up, as well as a host of other things that were supposed to be repaired. My FIL brought it in today (they actually had to bring it home and bring it back to be serviced) after calling to confirm the appt last night, and when he got there, they had the wrong table, told him one of the things was fixed (it hadn't even been touched), just a total disaster. We wish at this point they would just get their money back and come up here (they live about 100 miles away) and buy the same rig from our dealer - then at least they wouldn't have the stress they have now and could enjoy some time in their new camper before putting it away for winter!

So I guess the moral of the story is that it's not just the camper that makes the experience. Good dealers are like liquid gold! I just feel so bad for my inlaws, I'd like to go down there and wring those idiots' necks myself! Sadly, they feel they're at the mercy of this terrible dealer at this point. I wish they could have the happiness and excitement that we have every time we look out the window at dapper Mr. 23B.

PS - Stay away from Camping World in Bath, NY!

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Shame on CW but I'm also happy to hear your dealer is treating you so well. Why don't you name them? There's lots of readers on this board and we're always looking for a good dealer and, God forbid, good places for service while on the road.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #3

Absolutely! Seven O's in Kirkville, NY (about 10 miles east of Syracuse). They are family owned and a Jayco dealer. Have been around since the 70's I believe.

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #4

I think I know how you feel about your dealer. My current TV, an F-350, was not bought at my local Ford dealer, but they have always treated me like I did. About the only thing that went bad on the F-350 was that one of the FWD front hubs quit releasing. They said it needed to be replaced under warranty, and by the way, would I object if they replaced the other one, also under warranty, just to be sure it didn't give me trouble down the road. That kind of service is rare, and I wish your Jayco dealer was closer to me, just in case I need him. Enjoy your 23B !
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

We have purchased 2 RV's from Seven O's in Kirkville, NY and could not be happier with them. When we purchased our first unit from them, I was moving up from a much lighter TT. I specified in the contract that I wanted a 1200 Lb. WD Hitch. It never worked correctly so I took it back to be adjusted. The service manager took one look at it and said "You need a heavier unit." He went on to say "I don't care what you specified, we sold you the wrong hitch and we will install the correct one at no charge." Believe me, they have a loyal customer.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

We bought our tt through the internet manager of our dealer who agreed on an RVDirect quote. In the beginning we experienced amazing warranty work, but then the service manager left and the warranty experience with our dealer went downhill. For us, it wound up being the service department which kept us happy (or not).

We did have an issue with our Equalinzer hitch while driving cross country. I was happy to say that there was a dealer who gladly took care of us and got the Equalizer hitch authorization for us somewhere in the mid-west a couple of years ago.

Definitely... a dealer will make a BIG difference!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

I'll second or triple the nod towards Seven O's in Kirkville. We have bought 3 new campers there since 2006 and they have always taken care of us. Ron Hoffman, the salesman we deal with, actually talked up out of trading in our 232 a couple years ago because we would have been too upside down on the new one. He told us to wait a couple years until we got the 232 paid down. I steer anyone I hear who is looking for a new or used camper their way! And they'll closely match the RV Direct price if they have the unit on the lot.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

+1

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #9

We've been dealing with the same dealership since 1977 and they are great for both sales and service. That is one point I always make when I see complaints about things not getting fixed 95% of the time it is the dealer and not JAYCO, since they don't follow-up on parts requests or warranty work authorizations. The same goes for units delivered with defects the dealer has to do a good PDI before he gives it to the customer instead of just trying to get it off the lot.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Have them write Trailer Life's ombudsman... THAT SHOULD BE FUNNY...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
We've been dealing with the same dealership since 1977 and they are great for both sales and service. That is one point I always make when I see complaints about things not getting fixed 95% of the time it is the dealer and not JAYCO, since they don't follow-up on parts requests or warranty work authorizations. The same goes for units delivered with defects the dealer has to do a good PDI before he gives it to the customer instead of just trying to get it off the lot.
Grumpy--I hope it's Colerain RV!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Our dealer, The Trail Center, in North Charleston, SC is tops for sales and service.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
Grumpy--I hope it's Colerain RV!
You betcha!!!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You betcha!!!!!
Oh good! That's who we went through with our first (and only) TT.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #15

I must say we drove all the way to Indiana to pick up our TT and the dealer (Indiana RV) was excellant. They were very plesant to work with as well as gave us the best price for our Whitehawk. My closest NY dealer was not so curtious and may me feel like i was a $$$ sign instead a customer. We made the best out of our trip by camping at Eby's CG and then taking the Jayco tour, what an experience.
bobrod901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #16

We bought our trailer from Travel Trailer Sales in Tilton, Illinois. This is another family owned business. The son of the owner is the service manager. The owner is also the salesman. When we went to look at our current trailer, it was the end of March. The dealer had the trailer all set up, all slides out, the heater on, the TV mounted and turned on, just so we could see what it would look like when all set up. I think the smaller family owned dealerships are the way to go. When you walk into a dealership, and they know you by first name, that is the way to do business.

Safe Travels,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #17

We just traded our 2010 17z for a 2012 19h in August. Got an excellent price for our trade, just the price that we would have sold it on Craigslist for and was the same price we paid for it used on Craigslist last spring.

Previous to our trading in the 17z we had been looking a couple of times at a dealer we didn't buy from. They didn't have the model we ultimately decided we wanted. We were undecided on the floor plan so we needed to look and see. Well after we got this new one, I called this other dealer because they were closer to us and was just inquiring about adding a skylight. They used caller ID to harrass me about not buying from them and then a few minutes later the owner called me and was mad that I didn't buy from them. We never gave them our phone number and I told them that they make money on service too and that they didn't have the model we wanted. He basically told me to go somewhere else and that they "put their customers first." I called Jayco and complained about this to them and they said would be contacting them and Jayco said this is a problem with other dealers also. He said they are trying to convince dealers that service is money too.

What gets me mad is now if we have some work needing done, we have to drive further to get service and can't buy parts them either.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makjps View Post
We just traded our 2010 17z for a 2012 19h in August. Got an excellent price for our trade, just the price that we would have sold it on Craigslist for and was the same price we paid for it used on Craigslist last spring.

Previous to our trading in the 17z we had been looking a couple of times at a dealer we didn't buy from. They didn't have the model we ultimately decided we wanted. We were undecided on the floor plan so we needed to look and see. Well after we got this new one, I called this other dealer because they were closer to us and was just inquiring about adding a skylight. They used caller ID to harrass me about not buying from them and then a few minutes later the owner called me and was mad that I didn't buy from them. We never gave them our phone number and I told them that they make money on service too and that they didn't have the model we wanted. He basically told me to go somewhere else and that they "put their customers first." I called Jayco and complained about this to them and they said would be contacting them and Jayco said this is a problem with other dealers also. He said they are trying to convince dealers that service is money too.

What gets me mad is now if we have some work needing done, we have to drive further to get service and can't buy parts them either.
Previous to this purchase, the bad dealer did give us an offer on a 2011 19h but he didn't have it for us to see and the offer was 1/2 the deal we got at the place we bought from in August. We had a good experience with who we bought from and was very good during the walk thru, fixed outside trim that was sloppy right during walk thru, etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makjps View Post
Well after we got this new one, I called this other dealer because they were closer to us and was just inquiring about adding a skylight. They used caller ID to harrass me about not buying from them and then a few minutes later the owner called me and was mad that I didn't buy from them. We never gave them our phone number and I told them that they make money on service too and that they didn't have the model we wanted. He basically told me to go somewhere else and that they "put their customers first." I called Jayco and complained about this to them and they said would be contacting them and Jayco said this is a problem with other dealers also. He said they are trying to convince dealers that service is money too.

In 1998, we bought a Coachman trailer from the local Coachman dealer. My wife has Multiple Sclerosis, and when I went back to the dealer asking them to put some hand rails in the shower, and some other stuff, I was told by the dealer that it wasn't their job to modify trailers. That is when I went to Travel Trailers in Tilton, Illinois. They told me that they didn't care where I bought the trailer from, that they would be more than happy to install anything I needed to help out the wife. In 2005, we bought a new Wilderness, from Travel Trailer, and to be honest, I didn't shop around. They had the floorplan we wanted, and John gave me a good price. Now, a year or so later, we wanted awnings put on the slide rooms, and over the windows. Dan, the service manager, asked if I could wait until the slow time, because, he was trying to build up enough work to keep his people employed through the winter. And, a discount would apply. In March, I called to ask about the trailer, and he laughed, and said, can you give me another week. The plan worked so well that he was overloaded with work. Now, when I went to pick up the trailer, as a "thanks for waiting" gift, they had flushed all the water lines out, and had unit ready to roll. In 2012, when the wife and I thought about a trailer for extended trips, because she was retiring in June, John had just the unit we were looking for. And, long story short, we bought it. I never went shopping anyplace else. When I took the trailer back to have them look at something, Dan said it was going to be an extra minute or so, because they were making sure the hitch was tight. With the drop frame on this unit, the equalizer hitch units tends to walk on the frame, and he wanted to make sure it was ready for the road. The next trailer we buy, or if I buy a new truck, I will go to Travel Trailers, and have them do the brake controller, or anything else I need done. I keep them, and Schied Diesel in Effingham on speed dial.

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #20

We bought our first "Fiver" from a very large Keystone dealer in Duluth, MN. We ended up with lemon that had 23 problems on the first outing. This was a bran new unit. Dealer fought us on most of it and happily told us about the things they "Repaired." The camper was never really even touched.

After hearing about the Jayco dealer and their reputation down in Minong, WI, we headed down there. Have bought two new FW's from them in the last 2 years. They tell you flat out that the "Service after the sale" is what keeps us in business. I use one of the FW's for out of town work. The Sales MGR gave me his personal cell # in case I needed anything. They came 153 miles my way when my propane regulator puked and the shower plumbing began to leak.

No pressure dealer and top notch service!!!!! I'll send ANYONE I hear talking about buying an RV their way.
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote