Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Decisions, decisions 242bhsw or 27bhs

Upgrade time! So we have narrowed it down to two models 242bhsw or the 27bhs. So now I need some help from all of you....bare in mind we are a family of 4 with two boys 10,12y/o
1 does having a door to both sides of bed matter? (242bhsw does 27bhs on one side)
2 bathroom sink on outside (27bhs)
3 standard dinette and couch (27bhs) or u shaped dinette (242bhsw) on rainy days can four people by comfortable
4 ladder for the bunk either model

And lastly if you have either of these models I would love feed back what's your favorite features and what do you wish it had

Thanks in advance we are so excited to make our decision
Cavi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

And the bigger question. What are you pulling it with?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
And the bigger question. What are you pulling it with?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
We are towing with a 2016 silvarado 1500 with helper leaf and Max tow package. 10800 towing capacity
Old 04-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
bap

We have a 2011 29BHS. One reason we bought is is having a plenty of room to sit particularly on rainy days. We are a family of 4 and our previous camper did not have a couch, only a dinette. On rainy days it was hard, because there really wasn't enough room for everyone to sit and have enough room to do whatever they were doing for something to do.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #5

Looking at both floorplans, I will give my opinion. We are a family of 4 as well sometimes five as my mother comes along every so often.

1. Our new camper has a door on both sides. Judging from the floorplan picture, it looks like there is space to walk around. Mine is very tight so the second door is necessary. I think that you would need to see the camper in person to decide if you can fit by the foot of the bed.

2. In my last camper, a jay flight, the bathroom sink was on the outside and I feel that it was great. Someone can be in the bathroom and someone else can brush their teeth, the girls can do their make up or hair or whatever. Definitely a great feature.

3. I like u dinettes but that is the only seating. I feel that you need a sofa as well. One rainy trip and you will agree.

Also, one is a jay flight and the other a slx. Look into that as well. Different options and features. We decided on a jay feather 25bh. Check out that floorplan as well. It might have everything you want. We were looking at a different model and then we looked at this and it fit us the best. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi123 View Post
We are towing with a 2016 silvarado 1500 with helper leaf and Max tow package. 10800 towing capacity
Just remember that leaf helpers air bags and such don't increase things like weight limits of the axle and hitch limit. They just make it easier for a WD hitch to do its job. You max tongue weight and cargo limit still applies.

10800 towing capacity means nothing. My Yukon has an 8100 towing capacity but when factoring in max tongue weight and cargo limits, 7000lbs is a realistic max.

As for the trailers.

My wife kind of likes the U dinette but I wouldn't want to be the one doing the shuffle to get all the way around the back side. With no sofa on a rainy day the TV isn't as usable by all. So we preferred the two bench style with the separate loveseat. Personal preference really.

As far as the front bedroom. What I would look at over "is one door better than two" is what size is the front bed? We have a JayFeather 25BH. It is a cross between the two units you are looking at. It has the love seat and two bench dinette. It also has the two pocket doors to get to the front bedroom. How it differs from the 27BHS is the 25BH has a 75" RV or a short Queen bed. The 27BHS is a residential 80" long queen. There is also enough room at the end of the bed to walk between the bed and the wall. This is where much of that 2' difference is. This is important because if the bed is uncomfortable for you like it is for 90% of us out there, it is often cheaper and easier to find a new residential queen than a RV queen. Also sheets are easier to find. It doesn't say on the 24BHSW if it is a RV or residential queen but I would be willing to bet it is the same RV that we have as the bedroom is about the same. Though I can't tell if it is pocket doors or curtains. The floor plans on the 2016 25BH showed curtains but our 2017 is pocket doors. I do like how the TV is shifted to the middle of the camper on the 25BH and 24BHS. On the 27BHS it is on the same side that you are sitting making it harder to see. So I guess that is a pro to having two doors. The bench to sit on to get shoes on/off and a hooks for jackets would be nice though.

As for the bath sink. I don't really see any advantage. They spin it as the girls can be outside doing their makeup while someone is showering. Ok, but we are camping. I guess if we were full timers but they are not doing makeup when we camp. Maybe argue that one can be showering while someone is brushing teeth. Well that could be done at the kitchen sink as well. If those things are a big deal go for it. It isn't a selling point one way or another to us. I will say that it cuts down on the size of the bathroom though. I felt like I had more room to get dressed following a shower if the sink is in there as well vs outside. They have to give the bathroom more square footage.

For us the decision would be easy. The 24BHSW is the one with the 7000 GVWR and that is the max for out Yukon. Even though the ads said 8100lbs that isn't possible while maintaining 13-15% tongue weight without blowing past my 1000 max hitch weight or cargo limits. We went Jay Feather 25BH. It is a little more money but the GVWR is 6750lbs so I had less concerns with the weight. It has the front bedroom and bath of the 24BHWS with the middle section of a 27BHS. It still has the outdoor kitchen which was high on our list.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

The DW and I purchased a 2017 27BSH and we love it.
The bunkhouse, for the grand kids, and the outside kitchen, for me, were 'must haves' for us.
There is enough room to get around the residential queen bed in the front so 1 door is fine.
We also like the sink outside of the bathroom, make it easier to wash up when somebody in using the facilities.
The thing we like about the dinette is that the table is removable so there is enough room to put a pack-n-play in the table spot for my granddaughter who is arriving in August
We also like the pocket door into the bedroom to give us some privacy.
Have a great time with whichever one you choose.
NYMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

Since I have one of the two you are looking at, I'll add my 2 cents

1 does having a door to both sides of bed matter? (242bhsw does 27bhs on one side)

It depends on what you are upgrading from honestly. We upgraded from a really old popup with rotting canvas and a broken lift system. Having 'limited' access to the bedroom really doesn't bother us at all. I would prefer if this floor plan had access to the bedroom on both ends, but the important thing for me (being 6'3") is the walk around bed. That was a *must have* requirement.

2 bathroom sink on outside (27bhs)

No issue for us at all. The only thing we use that sink for is brushing our teeth. It's actually nice that someone can be taking a shower or otherwise using the bathroom, and someone else can do what they need to do at the sink at the same time.

3 standard dinette and couch (27bhs) or u shaped dinette (242bhsw) on rainy days can four people by comfortable

We seat 3 adults and one teenager in our standard dinette no problem. There is also a 'table and chairs' option. That said, we have almost all of our meals outside, and always will regardless of the camper we own.

4 ladder for the bunk either model
There is no ladder for the top bunk in our model. This is easy to correct in the after market if you'd like. My 14 year old daughter has no problems getting in that bunk so we didn't add anything.

Favorite features for us are really just the overall floor plan. People can have their privacy when needed, the high ceilings.. I only bonk my head when I walk into the slideout, the massive amounts of storage, and the outdoor kitchen.

One thing to watch out for is that pocket door in the bedroom that a lot of people like a lot, is secured with a button strap that is stapled in place. Those straps will eventually rip themselves out as the door is heavier than the staples can handle if they receive moderate G Forces while driving. I drive extremely conservatively when towing and we managed to rip those straps out the first year, leaving the door to bang back and forth as you're driving. We haven't decided yet if we're going to replace the door with a curtain, or just do what I already did and use some industrial strength velcro to keep the door locked in the open position while underway.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

We went with the 2017 27BHW and LOVE it.
BassOverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #10

Pulled the trigger on the 27BHS. We get in a couple days just needs to be PDI and dewinterized so excited. We have two close by weekend trips planned and a 10 day to myrtle beach in July and a 10 day to Nashville in September