Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Dehumidifier Use

I want to pick up a dehumidifier to put in the RV over the winter. It gets cold here, one morning was -15 here in the hollow this winter.

What is everyone else using, and what would you recommend?

I was thinking about picking up this unit

Amazon.com: Frigidaire FAD504DWD Energy Star 50-pint Dehumidifier: Home & Kitchen

Any other thoughts?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

If the Dehumidifier is working with no heat I could freeze, with heat you would have to empty it. I use the large chemical Dehumidifiers. My thoughts.
.......Roof Satellite Dish, Vent Covers, Bedroom Vent Fan,
.......Rear Reciever, 12V DC Outlets (6), 320W Solar & Controller,
.......4 Lifeline AGM Batteries (600 Ah @ 12V),
.......Stereo Upgraded, Interior Speaker Upgrade, Amp
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 AM   #3

I don't bother with a dehumidifier at all ... the humidity around here in the wintertime is down in the low teens anyways. I just leave the vents cracked an inch or so and don't worry about it.
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
Site Team

I have a similar model that we use year round but as the poster said, in winter it may not come into play unless the rig is sealed up tight.
Ours gets a workout in the summer however.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

While my trailer was in storage last winter, I used a couple of the "Damp-Rid" buckets. They did a good job of keeping the interior humidity down, and kept the windows from fogging up. This winter, I'm living in the trailer, so things are a lot different. There are four things that produce humidity inside an RV: Breathing, Cooking, Showering, and Heating w/propane. We don't have much control over the first, but the other three are pretty manageable. Using the range hood fan (and cracking the window over the sink) will send the cooking humidity outside. Opening the bathroom vent and turning on the fan clear the humidity out of the bathroom (and the entire trailer) in very little time. Finally, heating with propane produces a lot of humidity. Electric heat, on the other hand, is a very dry heat. I use my propane furnace overnight (to keep the pipes from freezing), but during the day, I kick on the electric heater/fireplace and crack open one of the ceiling vents. Seems to clear up the overnight window fog pretty quickly. A side benefit is my metered electricity is cheaper than propane (in some campgrounds, it's included in you campsite fee) so I save a little $$ on heating costs.

One thing I've discovered about winter living in a TT: the higher humidity level means I don't need a humidifier to keep my skin from drying out. I've saved a small fortune by not having to buy as much lotion!