Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Denver, CO Airport Info

Leaving Cape Cod and heading for Utah & Colorado for three weeks camping. I'm driving to Denver with #1 kiddo and meeting DW, #2 & #3 in Denver where they are flying in.

For anyone familiar with the Denver Airport, how possible is it to get near there with my truck and fifth wheel to pick them up? I know at Boston Logan airport this would be impossible. I see they have a huge cell phone lot about 3 miles away which would be an apparent easy meeting location (they could take a cab from the airport) and I can park the rig easily and wait.

Anyone have any thoughts on this mystery?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #2

I don't think it will be a problem, it is a huge airport out in the middle of no where. You will pay tolls on most of the roads leading to the AP. May not be able to pull up to the curb, bus should be able to get close enough to not have an issue. Least they will see you arriving! LOL Good Luck

May want to look at Google Earth to get the lay of the land there.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #3

We picked up our 35' Seneca last December at the Denver airport meeting the seller who drove in from Indiana and then would fly home--we drove home to Phoenix. I also traveled on a weekly basis in and out of DIA a few years ago to work in COS. There is only one toll road (E-470) near the airport and never had the need to use it, I-70 and I-25 worked for my needs.
We met the seller at a private car lot where they paid $12 to park the Seneca and then used their shuttle to get to the terminal. But there are the public lots where flyers can park. And they are actually closer to the terminals, but most are still about two miles away with a clear shot for any vehicle of any size. I really wouldn't want to drive an RV up to the terminals. The bus drivers have done it 1000s of times.
I would plan to meet them at one of the public lots such as Economy West but not try and get into the lot with your RV but stop nearby and let your party take the free shuttle from the terminals to the lot and walk off the lot to meet.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

I don't think you'll have a problem. Denver is a huge airport
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #5

I would use a hotel shuttle

Hotels | Denver International Airport

all of these hotel have free shuttles that run on a schedule and most of them have large lots that would be easy to get in and out of.

There is also the new air port train that has stops with large lots

RTD

I think either is better than the paid parking lot option
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Airport parking

I live in Colorado Springs and go to the airport quite frequently. You can get a fifth wheel up to the airport departure area but wouldn't try it at the arrivals. The arrivals are in a covered area and would be tight if not impossible. There is a cell lot but if its busy it will be tight getting a fiver in there. Some of the out lots for parking could be a possibility, and some of the hotels around he airport would work as well but the city has just started a train from the Airport to downtown and it has several stops out on the airport access road with good parking. If it were me I would park in one of these lots close to the airport and let my arrivals take a quick train ride to me. These lots are large and getting into them should'nt be a problem....R2
R2Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvdaJayco View Post
Hotels | Denver International Airport

all of these hotel have free shuttles that run on a schedule and most of them have large lots that would be easy to get in and out of.

There is also the new air port train that has stops with large lots

RTD

I think either is better than the paid parking lot option

Darn good idea here! Hotels do have that free shuttle.

You could also hang out at a stop for the RTD train on the east side of Denver. It gets more crowded as you get closer to the city.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #8

In my opinion, pulling a 5er could be problematic at any airport, especially if you are not familiar with the layout. Asking for local input is smart, but not foolproof. Depending on season, day of week, and of course weather, what might work one day could be a nightmare on another. Use the advice of many here and find an outside parking lot or hotel with airport shuttle and pay what would likely be a nonminal fee to meet your family at the arrival area
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

I would think about finding a campground reasonably close and leave the trailer there while you go to the airport. You could then go back, spend the night, and move on the next day if that is the plan. Alternatively you could stay at the campground the previous night and hopefully leave the trailer the next day while you go to the airport. This might avoid taking the trailer into congested areas.