Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #1

Derating Propane Systems

Greetings... We just brought our 2011 365BHS from Des Moines, IA to our home in Denver, CO. 90%+ of our camping will be done between the altitudes of 4,000-10,000. I understand that TYPICALLY, propane "driven" devices need to be derated to operate at these altitudes. Is that true for, say, the water heater and/or heater? I know that I recently purchased a 2000W Honda Generator and the dealer DID derate that for me. IF I need to derate the water heater and/or heater, is that something that's "easy", or would I be better served going to Camping World (the local JayCo dealer) and having it done? Thanks in advance for your help!
WeylanBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #2

First of all Welcome to the forum!

I dont have much experience at high altitudes, but I could not find any mention of it in either the water heater or heater service manual for Atwood. I googled a little bit and seems like some folks have no issues and others have some issues with pilots or start ups.

Would be curious what you find out.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

I would see how they work before doing anything with them. I really don't recall reading anything about it in the manuals. I do know that gas engines need less fuel at higher altitudes.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #4

@tafische. We had a 2005 325BHS that we bought from a local deal (K&C RV) here in Denver, CO. We didn't have ANYTHING done to either water heater or the heater; however, I don't know if they did anything to these elements BEFORE we purchased the rig... Didn't know about it/Didn't ask about it back then... We had NO PROBLEMS with either element for the six years we had the rig.

@clutch. I agree and that's what we'll do this season. My GUESS is that it will be fine. We did have the rig out a couple of weeks back and used the HEATER a LOT (it was in the 20's at night, nice and warm INSIDE). NO PROBLEMS. I hadn't dewinterized the plumbing, so don't know about the water heater. There's NOTHING that I could find in the manuals about NEEDING to derate these system, so my guess, like yours, is that they'll be fine. Not sure about gas engines needing LESS fuel. There is a SIGNIFICANT loss in HP as you increase altitude due to less oxygen. My 2500HD is diesel, so it doesn't seem to care (although it PREFERS to pull the camper or boat, as do I, HA!).

Thanks all for the suggestions!!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #5

Well I only wish I had your problem to figure out! You have some beautiful places to camp out there!

One thing I did come across recently was mention that sometimes at high altitudes the fridge on propane may not be able to cool sufficiently and they recommend AC. Curious if you experienced that in your 2005?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

@tafische...

We've been blessed with the opportunity to see a LOT of this part of the country - from the Grand Canyon, to Yellowstone, to Rushmore, to Devil's Tower and even down south as far as Roswell, NM. GREAT family bonding time and an FANTASTIC way to see the Country. My wife's and my goal are to EVENTUALLY retire and be "full timers". That's the goal!

We have NOT had difficulty with either the 'fridge or the AC; HOWEVER, we haven't CAMPED at elevations greater than about 8,000. We've taken the rig over Vail Pass (~11,000), but only pulling through. The only thing we found was that we froze the AC once; however, I think that was because the outside temperature was ~102 and the inside temperature was ~80 and we overtasked the AC.

In the 2005 325BHS, the water heater was located in the rear of the rig - about as far from the propane tanks as you could POSSIBLY get. The only challenge we had was waiting for propane to "charge" the line after sitting for a while. But it was TYPICALLY only a couple of minutes and a couple of cycles for the pilot light and it lit without problem. Nice blue flame. I'm assuming I'll have the same experience in the 365BHS (the water heater is now very close to the gas source - good redesign by Jayco) in re: GREAT results and am probably "worrying" about this derating thing more than it's worth. I'll let you know how everything goes after our first "real" trip (May 5th to Royal Gorge, CO). Thanks!!

2015 Seneca 37TS ("Screaming Eagle")
2009 Hummer H3 ("Ranger")
2005 Chevy 2500HD ("Max")
2008 MasterCraft X-15 ("One More Time")
Old 05-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #7

A belated welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Woody. Your right about family bonding and traveling. We saw all of the lower 48 over three summers during my DS and DD's middle school years. First year was in a tent. The next two was a mansion! (We upgraded to a tent trailer ) We also got to tent camp in Alaska but flew to Hawaii. Have fun with your new 5'er!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #8

Last Oct I had to spend the night on the Eisenhower pass just outside of Denver
in a blizzard.. everything worked fine and mine is at the normal settings as I am a flat lander boy
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #9

Some where in these posts, people seem to think that derating has to do with modify the LP gas appliance (i.e. water heater). Please do a Google and type LP derate. All LPG appliances are AGA rated and tested in an RV. They should not be modified in any way unless it is approved by the manufacture. If modified incorrectly the appliance will loose its warranty but more importantly if modified and anything happens like a fire you will not have any insurance.
If you want to see what happens with a fire in an RV please do a you tube, type in RV fire. You will see that most all of these fires start near the water heater, the refer. or the propane tank.
Also when ever buying a LP or NG appliance always look for the AGA (American Gas Association) letters.
Propane systems should be checked at the start of each season especially in older RVs!!!!!
My background is one who has done training with the Western Gas LP. Association and have seen all the training tapes of what can happen when LP is not handled correctly.
Always have a very healthy respect for LP.
After having said all this you can adjust the flame in the burner but I would have a tech at you RV dealer do this.
The Hawk
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #10

@The Hawk... ABSOLUTELY correct re: RESPECT for LP - there's PLENTY of YouTube videos of those NOT respecting the power of LP!! The reason I started this thread is because I purchased a Honda 2000W Generator (in Pueblo, CO) and the dealer DID derate that system - SOMEWHERE I read about the LP systems. HOWEVER, we've been camping at altitude (between 4,000 and 9,000ft) for six years and have NEVER had ANY problems with the LP systems, so I think my question/concern is moot. Thanks all!!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #11

@healthi... Thanks!! I'm going to show my forum ignorance here... What does DS and DD mean - at least the first "D"? I inferred from your writeup that it is "son" and "daughter", but I see DW (assume wife), DS, and DD all the time!! Thanks!!