Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #21

Well, I spent an hour blowing snow away from my 197 so I could hook on and get it out of the snow! Does that count? Tomorrow, if I can scare up enough ambition, I will clean it up inside. My first "tour" will most likely be to Dauphin, MB, for the gun show. My buddy and will be vendors.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #22

Hello All,

I will be Dewinterizing for the first time ever this upcoming weekend. I plan on sanitizing the water system. My question is, after the bleach sits in for an hour or so, do you drain the fresh water tank right on the driveway?
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkptRvPilot View Post
Hello All,

I will be Dewinterizing for the first time ever this upcoming weekend. I plan on sanitizing the water system. My question is, after the bleach sits in for an hour or so, do you drain the fresh water tank right on the driveway?
Yes,
I let mine set for about 12 hours and then drained it right in the street.
Not any difference than washing my car IMHO

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #24

We bought our 26bh back in February and have been going crazy with this extended winter. This weekend was in the 60's so I sanitized the fresh water system. We are heading out for our first trip on Thursday. The whole family is extremely excited to start the camping season. We did sleep in the camper with the kids last Friday to try to get them accustomed to it before we hit the road.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
Dan,
I think most people sanitize at the beginning of each season.
There's a 101 video on YouTube that's pretty straight forward.
We hadn't camped our unit yet and planning a long trip.
I checked every system today, even had wife take a shower to check for any issues or leaks.

Since all the water was basically what I would have washing the car at the curb, I just let the water run into the gutter.
The anti-freeze is non toxic too.

Doug
Thanks Doug, I will check out the video. I was hoping that it was ok to wash the antifreeze down as I cleaned the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Dan, Doug is correct. There shouldn't be very much antifreeze in your tanks to begin with. To start, [and you can do this at home or the campground] hook the TT up to a water source-fill fresh tank or hook up to city water connection. Turn the pump on if your using the fresh tank or turn the water on if using city connection. I like to use the pump the first time because it basically tells me if I have any leaks [by not pressurizing]. Important; make sure the water heater is in the bypass mode. It should be already if you bought the camper this winter from a dealer. Run all faucets until you see clear, don't forget the outside shower and toilet. If you're using the fresh tank, you really don't have to fill it all the way, just enough to clear the lines. If you want to sanitize at this point, add recommended amount of bleach to fresh tank and fill it all the way [this sanitizes the whole tank]. Pump the water/bleach mix into the lines and run faucets until you smell the bleach and let it sit for a while. Drain tank and fill with fresh water to rid lines of bleach smell-if you want. After this, you can open the water heater bypass to allow water into the heater. That's the basics-hope this helps, Terry
Thanks Terry, I guess I will try and give myself more time to do this incase I do end up sanitizing the system. The dealer did winterize it for me so if I remember right the water heater is still in the bypass mode. So much to learn, but it does seem easier the more I take care of it.

DW,DS,DD and Riley (Goldendoodle)
dan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #26

Glad to hear it's finally warming up a bit for you guys. De-winterizing means you're closer to doing some camping.

I de-winterized once, a while back.
Don't remember exactly what year it was.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #27

Great weather here in the Northwest, 60 degrees plus for the last several days. I de-winterized, sanitized, and we are ready to go! Spring shakedown trip in mid-April, can't wait.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #28

Dewinterizers please check in...

Don't get used to it, weather channel calling for more cold temps.
It was cold and windy here today
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #29

Dewinterized 2 weeks ago, the dealer had added the antifreeze for their lot before I bought it. Then we went camping for the weekend, had a great time, when I got home, I blew out all the water with the air compressor, so it is essentially winterized, yet ready to go again at a moment's notice.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #30

TCNASHVILLE...... Where are you located? Nashville, Indiana?

I'm down here in Evansville. We are supposed to be near 70 this week-end and I'm seriously thinking of taking off the cover and de-winterizing!

I want to get a string of those LED light strips and mount to the awning!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #31

Big G, yep right up here in Nashville. This Saturday the high here is supposed to be 62. I've really been itching to uncover and de-winterize as well but with nighttime lows in the mid twenties, I'm going to wait. Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll do a 3 day at Brown County State Park and do it there as my camper is in storage with no water supply. Plus, I have a whole list of things to check, lube etc. that I've learned from this incredible Forum. DW already ordered the LED set from Amazon. Only decision now is where I'm going to put them-awning tube or side of camper. Lots of great camping here in southern Indiana, maybe we'll run into each other. Happy camping, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #32

TCNASHVILLE - new to camping learning you have to find a spot quickly or its gone, found out that for holidays you have to jump on it. Taking our maiden voyage next Saturday may end up at Boggs or Spring Mill - Curious what LED lights are
2005 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4
2012 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 33 RLDS
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS - RETIRED
SPUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #33

Ron & Chris, first of all, welcome to the Forum. It's loaded with everything you need to know and check on your RV, top to bottom. I go right through Bedford on US 50 on my way to Glendale SFWA. Also camped at West Boggs as well, nice place. Not sure if you really want to know about the LED lights-because you'll probably order them! In General Jayco RV Chat, go to the awning light thread and read the entire post. They're a new way to light the awning area without hanging any lights and they roll up in the awning. $26 and they have remote control for a variety of colors. Post often if you have ANY questions, these people are sharp here. Happy camping, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #34

I did it today. De winterized for the first time and sanitized the water system. I blew out the lines just in case it gets cold again, but no sign of freezing temps in the 10 day.

I also cleaned the roof, washed and waxed the body, cleaned the awning, and the tent ends. She is looking good and ready to go in a couple weeks.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
Site Team

70`s forecast here for this week. Finally..........................
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #36

Hey TCNAshville we are in Vincennes. Dewinterizing was great this weekend. Just got our JayFeather 228 in February. Ready to go next weekend.
herbjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #37

hope the weather in NC holds up nice, we'll be there in 2 weeks. Not de-winterizing until first night on the road, on the 18th April, Probably near Allentown PA. The camper is pretty much ready to go, we loaded it up, checked the wheels and tires, installed the bike rack on the Reese hitch on the back...Pretty much ready to go except for the water systems but it's still too unseasonably cool around here to take a chance.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #38

De-winterized the 30U 2 weeks ago but we can't take it out till next month as to much going on right now. I will be out of town next weekend, RV show with the Wife and in-laws weekend after that, 25th Anniversary trip (sans kids) after that, Then it looks like we can take it out. The wait is killing me. I have some mods to do on our 1st outing that I cant wait to do. In fact I might not wait but we will see how it goes.
Oh, and when I was sanitizing the water system, forgot to close the antifreeze intake tube valve and water shot out of it when the tank was full and the Wife (who was prepping inside) FREAKED!!!! 3-4 cups of water on the floor and the way she was acting you would think i flooded the trailer. Being a plumber I have seen much worse. (None my fault of course:hihi
Happy camping all.
Dwilcox353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #39
Site Team

^^^stuff happens!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #40

De-winterized this weekend, now the forecast is calling for winter storm advisory through tomorrow evening. Good thing i blew out the lines before storing it.