Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

Dinette Removal

After being unable to remove the rear facing dinette bench seat in my 2014 Jayco 198RD (probably some other models too), I consulted with Jayco Customer Technical Service, and got their take on completing the job. The rear facing dinette bench seat has its' backrest butted up against the end wall of the kitchen stove top counter and is fastened by screws into the floor and by sight unseen, unknown fasteners, to this counter's end wall. The backrest I was told by the tech person, was probably attached to the counter end wall from the inside before the stove was installed. Later construction placed the main fuse panel and converter at the inner bottom of this end wall preventing access or sight into the possible backrest connection point or the type of fasteners used.

Knowing that staples are used widely in RV construction, I removed all the visible screws from the floor and sides of the backrest to see if I could wiggle it away a little from the end wall and I could. Then by shining a worklight into the narrow opened up space, I could see several small, not big at all, staples protruding from the inside counter end wall into, but not poking through, the backrest.

Now with some slightly more gentle wiggling, the back rest popped loose.
I really lucked out because the area behind and under the bench seat was finish trimmed so it looked like nothing was ever removed. The small protruding staple ends were easily cut on one side and pulled out of the end wall. Unless you have fighter pilot vision you can't even see any of their tiny holes. The only holes (2) showing a little, were where the backrest bracket was fastened to the side wall of the trailer next to the counter top edge but these can be plugged with any filler product and in my case, they will be covered by the much needed kitchen hand towel rack anyway.
billnanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Why would you want to remove that?

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Some pics would be great. I think it is a great idea. great use of wasted space in a trailer
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Great way to create space , especially with no slide ?
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

I would assume that he brought in a couple of folding chairs so they could have more than two people at the table during dinner.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #6

Dinette Removal

jal0710, Kelleys & nbhybrid have the answers to Snake Plissen's question regarding why am I wanting to remove the dinette from my 2014 198RD TT.

And regarding removals, the next item will be replacing the small & narrow J-Steel loveseat with a loveseat, fouton or sleep sofa of the same width but with an opened length that is adult sized since the opposite wall is 92 inches away.
billnanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnanc View Post
jal0710, Kelleys & nbhybrid have the answers to Snake Plissen's question regarding why am I wanting to remove the dinette from my 2014 198RD TT.

And regarding removals, the next item will be replacing the small & narrow J-Steel loveseat with a loveseat, fouton or sleep sofa of the same width but with an opened length that is adult sized since the opposite wall is 92 inches away.
That is the reason why I searched for my X17A floorplan Vs the more popular X17Z (among other reasons) is because the dinette and the couch are completely unusable for eating or sleeping IMO. I would have to sleep in the fetal position if I tried to camp in turtle mode. My dinette in my X17A is normal length. Great mod....would love a pic
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote