Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

Disaster averted - and a Safety Reminder

So this weekend turned out much more exciting than I would ever want.

Opening weekend at our favorite CG; actually only the front half was open and we were among the first campers to arrive for the season. Sites were carpeted with a fresh layer of pine needles soft underfoot. DW and I brought along my sister who was camping out in a tent.

The three of us set about getting setup, dinner ready, and campfire going. Others nearby were all doing the same. Camper on the site next to us had a great blaze going in his fire pit. We settled in for a regular round of campfire chat around our modest fire and enjoyed a couple of beverages.

About 10:30 things were pretty quiet around the CG, when my sister caught something out of the corner of her eye and exclaimed "What the..." and then "Oh my God!" Turning quickly, it took a couple of seconds to register what I was looking at; a strange sheet of flickering red. Brain finally went click, and we all jumped into action.

About half of our neighbor's site was ablaze! I grabbed the fire extinguisher while the girls started yelling fire, and banging on the neighbor's trailer and truck, rousting out the neighbor and waking others nearby. The fire extinguisher knocked down about 90% of the blaze, and with the few other arriving campers we got a bucket brigade together to take care of the rest.

The flames were stopped about 2 feet from the bumper of his truck, and were heading straight for our site fanned by a moderate wind. I hate to think what might have happened if we, like so many others, had headed off to bed early.

So no injuries to persons or property (well, a new extinguisher for me) actually occurred, but in looking back at the chain of events, a reminder for all of you with the coming Memorial Day:

1. Clear all flammables from around your fire pit. There was lots of combustible material right there.
2. Never burn wood larger than your fire pit. He was burning deadfalls, and didn't cut them to fit.
3. Always douse your flames COMPLETELY before bed. Place a bucket of water beside the fire pit BEFORE you strike that match. He had just left it to burn out naturally.
4. Buy a bigger fire extinguisher for your trailer and check it regularly; replace after 10 years. Mine just doubled in size as I want an extinguisher that will take care of 100% of the issue if there is ever a next time.

And before you old hands blame this on camper inexperience, the gentleman in question, who was camping alone, is retired from the "outdoor recreation" industry and is a very experienced lifelong camper. He knew better, but he was tired after a long solo setup, and he got lazy. I am sure he found the whole thing quite embarrassing, and I am sure he won't make any of those mistakes again.

Please, don't let this happen to any of you this weekend!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
And before you old hands blame this on camper inexperience, the gentleman in question, who was camping alone, is retired from the "outdoor recreation" industry and is a very experienced lifelong camper. He knew better, but he was tired after a long solo setup, and he got lazy. I am sure he found the whole thing quite embarrassing, and I am sure he won't make any of those mistakes again.

Please, don't let this happen to any of you this weekend!
So glad you were there.

Since I've been here in Colorado, I've seen too many houses *burn* and a few people die because of incidents like this.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks. I had an experience when I was a teen. We were at the lake (Phoenix area) and had a fire to roast hot dogs. Cleared for 10ft around, low fire, stones around the pit edge.

We were sitting eating and a gust of wind blew the ashes. Embers hit the dry grass and started burning. We watched it happen and it still took all 8 of us to keep the fire from going out of control. Dry grass burns FAST!

I have not had a campfire in many, many years. Mainly due to camping in the SW. Too many forest fires out here.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Great post! As a matter of fact, I just bought a new (bigger) fire extinguisher from Costco on Sunday to keep in the 5er.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #5

A very sobering story. So glad that everyone was ok.

Thanks for the reminders and for broadcasting the story.

A happy and safe holiday weekend to all,

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote