Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #61

I cut mine off and made it detachable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #62

I never pulled my cord out more than I needed, but I seldom use the A/C. I will keep it in mind to pull it out if do.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #63

Coiled cords are Jaycos cheap way to save money IMO. The first time the bouncing while driving jams the loops in a fashion you can't pull it out, you will wish you had a shore connection. Plus, a rash of thieves were pulling them out during storage a while back and cutting them off to salvage copper. With a shore connection, you can store it in the trailer.

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #64

As I stated in an earlier post, I converted my cord to a detachable for 2 reasons. I was sick of trying to pull the entire cord out, and for heat dissipation. Converting to a detachable is easy. I do have a question for the electricians out there. I never plug in without my portable 30 amp Progressive Ind EMS, does the EMS offer any protection in a potential cord overheating situation? If this is a dumb question, I apologize as my knowledge of electricity is limited.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #65

The electrician I spoke with to convert my RV recommended a Type 2 SPD for my house. I can't do a Type 1 SPD meter socket so he will install the Type 2 at my main electrical panel. Luckily I have room in my box so the cost is less than $400. Cheap insurance when you consider it protects the entire house. I'm also upgrading the surge protectors for my entertainment center and home office.

All total this thread will cost me about $900 but I'll sleep better taking the recommendation of an expert. Now only a direct lightening strike will cause me problems.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Now only a direct lightening strike will cause me problems.

We had a lightning protector installed at our meter box by a licensed electrician years ago.

Not real expensive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
Coiled cords are Jaycos cheap way to save money IMO. The first time the bouncing while driving jams the loops in a fashion you can't pull it out, you will wish you had a shore connection. Plus, a rash of thieves were pulling them out during storage a while back and cutting them off to salvage copper. With a shore connection, you can store it in the trailer.

Its been industry standard for many many Rv's for decades. I doubt driving will cause a cord to jam, but inserting it back with kinks and not paying attention will. You can hate Jayco that is certainly your right, but don't say an attached cord is a "cheap way to save money".

Putting a larger cord is really unnecessary and over kill. The cord provided is the proper size, pulling it out eliminates most issues. Once out your cord is not going to overheat and cause a grass fire...geesh.. In the open your cord will not overheat and actually you could use a much smaller wire if it was always in the open and the run was short...

No an EMS won't solve the issue of a coiled cord overheating, it's not an overload that caused the issue it's an issue of not allowing the cord to air cool properly when coiled. Something that is very easily remedied by just extending the cord fully, allowing it to air cool.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #68

Quote:
A smaller diameter cord is more likely to overheat. I don't like the idea of an overheating cord starting a grass fire. So I'm upgrading to a larger heavier gauge which can handle the load instead of whatever cheap cord Jayco uses. An undersized cord is another way jayco cuts corners.

Actually I am planning on cutting the cord and installing a plug instead. Then buying 15' and 25' cords to connect. I'll add a hard wired Progressive Industry EMS while I'm at at.

The cord provided is not undersized, an extended cord will not cause a grass fire. Slam Jayco if you want, but to say an attached cord, which, may, under heavy loads, if coiled, may overheat is not "another way jayco cuts corners". Cords sizes are mandated by codes and science. Uncoiling cords is common sense.

Adding a plug and separating your cord again is your choice, as is installing a larger cord. I'm sure if you use that cord improperly you could also have issues. To me, it's just easier to pull the cord out and not worry about it, this is not the hill I want to die on.

But, we all have the option to do whatever we want. To each his own.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #69

If it can get hot enough to melt the insulation it can certainly catch dry grass on fire in 100+ degree Texas heat.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #70

Quote:
If it can get hot enough to melt the insulation it can certainly catch dry grass on fire in 100+ degree Texas heat.

Only if you were to tightly coil it under your Rv, even then, because it is open to air circulation it will not reach temperatures high enough to cause a grass fire. And I know a thing or two about temperatures, I live in Arizona, where 110 - 115 is typical with 120 not totally unheard of.

The key is air circulation. It's why you want to EXTEND the cord, not keep it coiled in an enclosed compartment. Its' about resistance, all wires have resistance, resistance can cause heat, when coiled heat is contained and bakes the cord. Get air cooling working for you and you eliminate the heat build up...

Pull your cord out, you eliminate 99.9% of the issue.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Its been industry standard for many many Rv's for decades. I doubt driving will cause a cord to jam, but inserting it back with kinks and not paying attention will. You can hate Jayco that is certainly your right, but don't say an attached cord is a "cheap way to save money".

Putting a larger cord is really unnecessary and over kill. The cord provided is the proper size, pulling it out eliminates most issues. Once out your cord is not going to overheat and cause a grass fire...geesh.. In the open your cord will not overheat and actually you could use a much smaller wire if it was always in the open and the run was short...

No an EMS won't solve the issue of a coiled cord overheating, it's not an overload that caused the issue it's an issue of not allowing the cord to air cool properly when coiled. Something that is very easily remedied by just extending the cord fully, allowing it to air cool.

Didn't think I said I hated Jayco. This common cord practice just seems to be... well.. archaic and surpassed by better means and methods.
I've only been camping with pop ups and trailers for 25 years, so I don't know much, but My late Jayco 26L had such s small cord storage bin, that when we camped in early spring or late fall, the cold cord wouldn't fit back in the cubby. Our Heartland product, after service, left me pulling apart the trailer to retrieve the cord after the plug retreated into the cubby, and could not be fished from the cubby with a coat hanger. Guess I just had bad luck.
I installed an electrical monitor on our last 32BHDS, and the plug started to overheat from an electrical issue inside the receptacle... an added shore connection. It got hot enough to start to melt the plastic, and the monitor shut it off. Certainly, I was lucky. Heat should cause monitors to trip, but I wouldn't rely on it. Pull the cord out.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #72

It really depends on how comfortable you are with minimum specs and codes. If they cut it so close that a fire is even a small possibility I want a bigger margin.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #73

I'm in my first Jayco but 3rd TT. This is the first one I've had that uses a permanently attached cord that you push into it's own storage space. I don't really like it other than not being able to leave it at the campground... like my son did a couple of years ago... ... Having read this thread, I'll be converting my trailer to the detachable, which I had almost decided to do already. It's easy and cheap... and I liked being able to properly coil the cord instead of stuffing it in where I can't see what I'm doing to the connections. Heat usually comes from connection points. Break a few of the strands in that stranded wire and now the wire is effectively smaller at that break point, and will get hotter there. Break a few more and... ... With all those happy thoughts in mind, I'll convert and not worry further. Then the OP question is answered anyway, because the cord's gonna be out... regardless.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #74

Right on!!!
In 1979 I was camping in Kansas and left my excess 30amp cable curled up under the camper. When I got back to the camper after about an hour at the store the rubber insulation was soft and smoking. Could have caused a fire.
Since I extend my cable fully and have had no problems.
Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #75

And a detachable cord can be stolen. There is no "best answer"' other than pull the cord all the way out if your going to have any load (Ac or portable heater) on it. Even a larger wire will heat up if coiled, yes it will take more to heat it, since heat is the by product of resistance and all wire has resistance. Why is this even a discussion ? Just something to be aware of and do it correctly, no different than chocking your wheels or making sure your sewer hose is supported and flows downhill or any of 100 other things we do without thinking. Extend your cord and you have no issues.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Why is this even a discussion ?
I had the same thought. I think a lot of us just have cabin fever and any discussions about campers is good enough. Definitely surprised at the mileage this thread is getting

Mine is out of storage as of last night, I have the cord that came with it extended as far as it goes, that is plugged into another 30amp extension cord, which is plugged into the highest rated 'home use' extension cord I have, which is then connected to a dog bone, and into a surge protected power strip in my garage. Everything is cold to the touch.

bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #77

Do you extend your 30a power cord?

I like things neat around the campsite, especially at the business side of the Arc. I have always coiled up my cord below the pedestal, and done the same with my sewer solution and water hoses. I see campers with theirs strewn around like Slinky coils and don't care to have some kid running through to another site catch the hoses or cords, jerking then out and causing me a major leak or damaging the electrical cord/plug/wires, etc. I guess I've been lucky all these years.