Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Does anyone bring their cat camping?

We have a seasonal spot for the summer, therefore we will be taking the cat with us.

Anyone else take their cat camping? If, any tricks/tips for the litter box?

Topher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
I don't, but I have 2 friends that do.

No I am NOT retired. I work full time.:D

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
We took one of our kittens camping last year. We drove the 100 miles to our favorite camground at the lake, backed the camper in the spot unhooked and were setting up when I saw the kitten jump out from under the truck. The wife caught her and we made a makeshift cage, called one of the kids and met them half way to take the kitten back home. I guess she really wanted to camp.
Farmer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
We have brought out old girl camping for years. We have a carrier which we use for the initial drive down the road because she sounds like a siren with all her wailing, but after a few miles she settles down and likes to sit on the center console and sleep or watch out the window. When we get to location she has a harness and a long rope so that she can explore and then find a little shade, we also hook the rope onto our clothes line which gives her lots of room to explore. We have a deep dish litter pan which is easy to locate on the kitchen area floor and is kept clean, with no mess or for that matter smell as we use a good litter deodorant.
2007 Jayco Eagle 325BHS
2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie
Kipor 2000 Generator
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Site Team
Our Purrscilla camps with us.

One of her favorite spots is in the storage cabinets above our bed.

When we're not using it ourselves (the bathtub, that is), we keep the litter box in the bathtub. It's out of the way and gives kitty some privacy. The tub also acts as a "litter box within a litter box" by containing any litter that gets tracked/kicked out.

Tidy Cat clumping litter is used. Pees go in the trash. Poos go down the toilet. I've had some replies from folks expressing concern as to possible damage/problems to the plumbing system caused by the kitty litter. Our kitty has been camping with us since 2009 and I have not seen any issues. Besides, the only litter actually going down the toilet is what has attached itself to the stool, and I consider it minute. When I inspect the inside of my black tank after rinsing, I see nothing but the black bottom of the tank.

Like ours, your first cat camping outing will be a learning experience. One thing we learned was that our cat needed places where it could have an unobstructed view out a window. Our trailer has venetain blinds on all the windows so we had to raise them and just use the curtains for privacy. This way, the cat can just go underneath the curtains and see its outside world.

Another thing we discovered is that pet loops in campgrounds bother our cat because the sites are predominately occupied by campers with dogs. Our cat is actually more relaxed when we disobey the rules and camp in a non-pet loop because there are NO dogs. When camping in pet loops, Purrscilla growls and hides when people with (especially lively) dogs pass by. You don't have this activity in a non-pet loop. I'll take my chances with the park ranger/management. So far, no one has ever challenged me on it. To me, camping with a cat isn't much different than camping with a hamster, turtle or goldfish.
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Originally Posted by cdembek View Post
We have a seasonal spot for the summer, therefore we will be taking the cat with us.

Anyone else take their cat camping? If, any tricks/tips for the litter box?
We take our cat all the time. In a carrier in the back seat of the TV. He loves camping. He likes to look outside, so keeping a window available is a must. Cats also like high places, so he sleeps in a cat bed up on the higest shelf over the coat closet in the bedroom. We NEVER let him go outside, where he would just be coyote bait. Litter box in the bathroom next to the john, with door left slightly ajar. Food and water beside the couch next to the kitchen cabinets.

altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Yup, we started to bring our old girl with us last year after learning about her early stage kidney failure. Don't want to leave her home alone. We use a covered litter box that has the swinging door. She just loves to be on our beds with the windows open.
chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
We just left Cherry Hill Campground in Maryland and I took some pictures of a motorhome with a detachable cage suspended from a rear window. The window was customized with a built in pet door. I have pictures of their cat sitting in the cage taking in some fresh air. I will try to download the pictures but usually have problems doing it.
Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Don't take ours camping with us, however, we origionally found and brought him home while on a camping trip.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
We don't take ours with us. She is an indoor only cat, 14 yrs old. She loves the sleep-overs at our friend's place, so she's always cheerful when we get back.

David472 is offline   Reply With Quote