Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #1

Does anyone pull a toad? Here are a couple new ones that might be attractive!

I've been following the happenings at this year's L.A. Auto Show, and it would seem that 2010 is going to be the year of the small car, which may well prove to be good for those of us looking for a toad.

Ford is introducing an Americanized version of its European Fiesta subcompact, in sedan and hatchback models. I understand they will be built in Wayne, Michigan. Weighing in between 2500-2700 lbs., the stickshift model should be four-down towable; no word yet on the automatic. And while it's said to average 30MPG city and 40 highway, it's no penalty box: Ford's Sync system is available, and leather seats of similar quality to those you'd expect to see in a Lincoln are a $715 option in the higher-end Fiestas. You do get A/C, power locks and mirrors and a decent sound system in the base "S" sedan, the cheapest model in the line.
Price: $13,995-18,000+
On sale: Mid-2010

Chevrolet is replacing the 6-year-old Cobalt with the new Cruze, which went on sale earlier this year in Europe and Asia. The American-market version will be built in Lordstown, Ohio. GM hasn't released weight data or price info yet, but I expect it will be competitive with the Fiesta, Focus and other similarly-sized cars. I also expect it to follow past GM compact practice and be towable.
Price: TBA
On sale: Third quarter of 2010

We might see some additional toad choices coming in the months ahead. Ford is due to show a replacement for the Focus, probably at January's Detroit show, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chrysler begin showing off the new Fiat-based small cars it has on the way, either in Detroit or possibly Chicago or New York.

I'll keep ya posted!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #2

We pull an '07 Saturn behind our Melbourne 29D. It has worked great for us, but we could have used a toad with higher clearance several times. Looks like we may be stuck with the Saturn for awhile, so we'll just grin and make the best of it.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

It certainly seems the newer Saturns are lower to the ground than the older ones, particularly in the front. My sister-in-law had a late SC coupe, then switched to an Ion, and I know she scraped curbs with the Ion that she never did with the SC.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #4

This topic was inactive for 12 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.
JOF Mods/Admin
Closed Thread