Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Does anyone use an RV cover on their trailer?

Tried searching but nothing really applied to my specific question. I live near Vancouver BC and in fall, winter and spring it rains here a LOT! My concern isn't about protecting my trailer from the sun but from leaks.

I hear you shouldn't use a tarp as it will wear the finish and traps moisture. Good covers are breathable but doesn't that mean they would also let water in?

My old trailer didn't leak for years but when it did it was in the winter and since I don't check it all the time by the time I found the leak the damage was extensive. How do people here protect their trailers from the rain in the off season?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

I had extensive conversations about this because we also live in Canada. The best answer I could get, was that I shouldn't use a cover, but if I could store it in a farmers barn that would be a bonus. I have never seen a covered trailer here in the winter, and that may be your best bet... check out what the usual way to store is in your neighbourhood.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #3

Paul'x...I'm in the Valley and I used a RV cover last winter. I can't say it helped...but can't say it didn't help. At the very least it kept it clean and free from any mold or green slime buildup I would have expected. Last winter was my first with the trailer. A trailer stored right beside mine looked like it was getting lots of black streaks while not covered. I have heard its good for protecting the seals and roof from exposure when it's not in use. Though i cant recall Ever seen a trailer covered at the local dealers over the winter. Then again, they cant sell What you cant see. I'm going to put mine cover on again this year.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Thanks. Lots of trailers around here and I get very different answers from different people. Most have no reason, just it's what they heard somewhere. There are five trailers on my street, two have covers, two have tarps and one has nothing. The barn idea is great except they are hard to find in the Vancouver area. There is some warehouse storage but that's for the wealthy given land prices.

I have a large driveway so that's where it will have to stay. It's too big for any of the canvas carports I have seen. I could leave it out in the rain but we looked at used trailers before we bought new and everyone had at least some water damage.

I really want to avoid it if I possibly can.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #5

I forgot to mention...my cover is apparently breathable and is water resistant. It kept the trailer dry, I checked on it once a month. As well as having moisture control products inside that I would empty each time I was there.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3firetrucks View Post
Paul'x...I'm in the Valley and I used a RV cover last winter. I can't say it helped...but can't say it didn't help. At the very least it kept it clean and free from any mold or green slime buildup I would have expected. Last winter was my first with the trailer. A trailer stored right beside mine looked like it was getting lots of black streaks while not covered. I have heard its good for protecting the seals and roof from exposure when it's not in use. Though i cant recall Ever seen a trailer covered at the local dealers over the winter. Then again, they cant sell What you cant see. I'm going to put mine cover on again this year.
Not too worried about keeping it clean but protecting the seals and roof is important. Where did you buy your cover?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Camping world. Mine was for 22 feet. I think I paid 160 usd which much cheaper than from our dealers. Free shipping to sumas. I was gone about 20 min to get it and gas and didn't have to pay tax or duty on it. I declared full price I paid and the let me through no problem.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

I use a cover not for waterproofing but to keep leaves, dirt, dust, bird crap, etc. off the trailer.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote