Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Don't waste your money on Rand McNally GPS

I am going to do a long enough post to include specifics but the gist of this post is to keep anyone else from wasting money on a Rand McNally GPS until they update or fix their maps and routings.

• I have used GPS units for years. I decided on the larger Rand McNally (RM 735..the Good Sam version of the 730) because it had a specific RV routing mode and because Rand McNally is associated in my mind over the long term with maps.
• I bought the unit about June and proceeded to learn to use it on RV mode. I was getting routings that did not make sense such as taking me off main roads to travel narrow winding ones that were neither shorter nor quicker. I put it on car mode but this continued.
• I spent a lot of time and actually used google maps to make a document containing screen shots with explanatory notes as to why it just seemed their “algorithms” were wrong. I sent this attachment to an email address I got off the GPS.
• Received back a reply that there wasn’t enough information and to call them so I did. The technician was adamant that I use the RV setting and he went through the settings with me to make sure I had them right. I proceeded to use it on RV setting.
• In the meantime I had tried to find the answer to this question and couldn’t find it: “On a multi-point trip, I want to be able to see the turn by turn directions for the entire trip before starting out. How can I do this? I am only getting those for the first "leg". Again I received an email telling me to call them. The answer is simply that this can’t be done so that’s really all the info. I needed. Why did I have to call? Just answer it.
• I am now using the GPS on RV mode and have felt it is sending me on some dangerous routings. Two examples: (1) It sent me down a mountain with hairpin curves and not wide enough for two full sized vehicles to pass. At the bottom of the mountain was a VDOT sign saying this road was not recommended for tractor trailers, etc. (2) I had decided to check out a campground I was thinking about going to ahead of time....thankfully. The GPS did not recognize a major interstate so I was surprised when I began to merge into five lanes on just my side. The exit number was correct and I should have been sent straight across from the ramp to the state road I needed but instead I was given a series of right turns onto tiny, gravel, residential roads that google doesn’t even show as roads to get me back to taking the correct road. Finally it had me turn before the campground onto a little road that dead-ended without a cul-de-sac and I would have had to back a quarter to half mile out. At that point it became so confused that it locked up and wouldn’t turn on/off or give any directions. I had to use my phone to get me back to my current campsite and after hooking the GPS to the computer, it finally unlocked.
• Again I took screen shots and sent info to RMsupport and again I was told to call. So I did and when I asked the young lady if in fact there was any way she could get this information to those who do the software, she honestly told me she couldn’t. Yes, she thought her superviser could but she was on the phone. Would she call me back? She took my info. and I never heard from her.
• Yes, I know there is a “tell Rand” section on the GPS and I am using it but there is no way to know if anyone actually even looks at it. My fear is that they are just using the GPS users to update their maps which means that the users will always get stuck without correct directions.

I am stuck with a GPS that is un-usable for RVing. No way am I going to follow it in areas I don’t know. My goal in doing all of this (doing reviews is time consuming!) is that maybe enough people will see/share that Rand McNally will either have to fix their software or the rest of you won’t lose several hundred dollars buy buying from them.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

Our 7710, 7", has worked fine for years and would buy another.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

I am an IT professional and I agree that tech 'support' is atrocious for any modern gadget. I wasted several hours trying to get a router to work after reconfiguring it. It turned out that it won't work when you change those settings...

My folks and my boss both bought into GPS several year ago. I found no use for it!

Trying to hear a voice from the dashboard that is often wrong, misleading and short of information is worse-than-useless!

Any good map/directions can be had from Google and others. Then print a detail map for the last few miles/turns. Works great!

Having the phone number of someone at the destination is a great safety. One time, I was too many hours on the road and I thought I had made a wrong turn. Five minutes later I KNEW I was closer than I though.

I feel that using a 4G tablet to get information is much better than bad advice from a GPS.

(Consider me, just one more Luddite)

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Any time you are making your decisions TOTALLY based on a GPS output, you will have a conflict, at some time. We had a GARMIN prior to the Rand McNally 7725 that we picked up in the beginning of the year.. Oh, and don't forget MS Streets and Trips before that. We have been using MS Streets and Trips to validate the GPS routing, prior to leaving for the trip. Works out great. Also carry one of those antique books with drawings of the state/federal highways (Maps), but have yet needed to pull it out.

So with the GARMIN, I was being instructed to make a turn into the Corps of Eng CG, on a road that led to a farmers barn. The actual road was about 500 feet farther, but the correct road had big signs, so we did not make the turn as requested by the GARMIN. The routes were almost always correct. We update the GPS maps/software, prior to our planning, for best results.

We have had 2 Rand McNally 7725 GPS's, the first one kept showing my house about a 1/4 mile in the Gulf of Mexico, When I am about 200 yards (on land of course) away from the gulf. It turned out that there was an issue with the firmware (could not install a new version), according to Support, and they gave us a new one and it has worked fine. Also (the original 7725) had an issue with recalculating if you decided to take another route (home to 275) and it would just keep telling us to turn around, even though it was set for recalculate route.

The replacement 7725 has been very good so far. Told us of low clearances, nasty turns. Like I said, we always compare the GPS route to that of MS Streets and Trips (MAP/route).

Would I purchase another Rand McNally GPS? YES! Would I purchase another Garmin GPS, probably yes, but would find someone that has one and try it out.

We have been using them for the last 15K camping miles.

No matter what you purchase, ALWAYS VERIFY, for happy traveling.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
Site Team

We recently bought a new GPS and stuck with Garmin. Mostly for familiarity. It is great but I still have my good old road atlas to verify.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 AM   #6

I guess me being a new camper, I take a lot of precautions because I know GPSs are quirky. I did get me one of those ultra lager atlases and I review my route with the atlas. That gives me an idea of what roads I'll be staying on. I then use Google maps on the phone for specific directions and ETA.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

I wish that a GPS would find gas stations that can accommodate large truck and RV combo units and be correct not just where stations are located. My combo is just under 60 feet so I’m as long as a semi. When I want to fill up I need a station that has the pumps not facing you into the station. Since I switched from a diesel truck to gas this has been an issue.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #8

Definitely a problem Rod I have a diesel and always go back with trucks . Most pumps for gas always point toward the station and is impossible to get in and out.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

And here's something you don't always think about when planning a route (via GPS or maps) - altitude changes! For instance into Yosemite ... quote from a friend: "from the north via 120 you have to pull over 6k feet at Crane Flats and then drop 2500 ft. to the valley floor vs. south via 140 coming out of Mariposa it's not as high 2800 ft. at midpoint and then pretty good grade to the Merced river and the valley floor."

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Gotta say, I love my Garmin. My family loves to travel to locations that are outside our norm. So it is pretty routine for us to be in locations where we have no clue what the local roads are like.

In our old 21ft TT, I did not mind what we calleed our GPS adventures. We saw many areas of North America that were off the beaten path. That rig was small enough that I could get it out of most any jam.

Two years ago my bride bought me the Garmin RV model to go with our much bigger second RV. It does a very good job of keeping us to major routes and I have never encountered a situation with it that was unsafe or resulted in me being trapped on a dirt road/one way. It gives me a visual display of ramps when I am approaching and clearly labels exactly what lane I need to be in. I also have it set up so that it displays the next available fuel, food and rest stops. With a press of a button the display switches to provide direction of travel and elevation.

The unit is not perfect, I would like to be able to control routing a little more effectively and as others noted I wish I could have it tell me which fuel stops are RV friendly... But I would not be caught without it!

I will also add... The GPS is ideal for helping out on spontaneous day trips and when travelling through the mountians GPS signal is great, your C-phone turns into a fantastic paper weight.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #11

I use Navigon (by Garmin) on my iPhone. The maps are built in. No data connection necessary. It has lane assist and all the fancy stuff that the dedicated GPS units have.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

We have long ago learned not to trust our Rand McNally GPS from Good Sam. It does as the OP said -- route you on tiny dirt roads for no reason. It routed us off the main road and had us go through residential streets that paralleled the main road!

It also decided to route us on a dirt road with a dead end. Luckily, we didn't have the trailer with us. Since that time, we don't trust this GPS.
While it did get better with the last software and map drop, I would not recommend this unit to anyone.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Update: Although the maps on the unit were obviously outdated when I got it, there has been NO map updates and and it has been over a year. Once it did a few seconds on one update so obviously this was not a map update. I believe that Camping World should at least express concerns to Rand since the 7735 is the Good Sam brand. I have asked the question at more than one CW and salespersons say they do have frequent returns. I surely wish I'd done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
I am going to do a long enough post to include specifics but the gist of this post is to keep anyone else from wasting money on a Rand McNally GPS until they update or fix their maps and routings.

• I have used GPS units for years. I decided on the larger Rand McNally (RM 735..the Good Sam version of the 730) because it had a specific RV routing mode and because Rand McNally is associated in my mind over the long term with maps.
• I bought the unit about June and proceeded to learn to use it on RV mode. I was getting routings that did not make sense such as taking me off main roads to travel narrow winding ones that were neither shorter nor quicker. I put it on car mode but this continued.
• I spent a lot of time and actually used google maps to make a document containing screen shots with explanatory notes as to why it just seemed their “algorithms” were wrong. I sent this attachment to an email address I got off the GPS.
• Received back a reply that there wasn’t enough information and to call them so I did. The technician was adamant that I use the RV setting and he went through the settings with me to make sure I had them right. I proceeded to use it on RV setting.
• In the meantime I had tried to find the answer to this question and couldn’t find it: “On a multi-point trip, I want to be able to see the turn by turn directions for the entire trip before starting out. How can I do this? I am only getting those for the first "leg". Again I received an email telling me to call them. The answer is simply that this can’t be done so that’s really all the info. I needed. Why did I have to call? Just answer it.
• I am now using the GPS on RV mode and have felt it is sending me on some dangerous routings. Two examples: (1) It sent me down a mountain with hairpin curves and not wide enough for two full sized vehicles to pass. At the bottom of the mountain was a VDOT sign saying this road was not recommended for tractor trailers, etc. (2) I had decided to check out a campground I was thinking about going to ahead of time....thankfully. The GPS did not recognize a major interstate so I was surprised when I began to merge into five lanes on just my side. The exit number was correct and I should have been sent straight across from the ramp to the state road I needed but instead I was given a series of right turns onto tiny, gravel, residential roads that google doesn’t even show as roads to get me back to taking the correct road. Finally it had me turn before the campground onto a little road that dead-ended without a cul-de-sac and I would have had to back a quarter to half mile out. At that point it became so confused that it locked up and wouldn’t turn on/off or give any directions. I had to use my phone to get me back to my current campsite and after hooking the GPS to the computer, it finally unlocked.
• Again I took screen shots and sent info to RMsupport and again I was told to call. So I did and when I asked the young lady if in fact there was any way she could get this information to those who do the software, she honestly told me she couldn’t. Yes, she thought her superviser could but she was on the phone. Would she call me back? She took my info. and I never heard from her.
• Yes, I know there is a “tell Rand” section on the GPS and I am using it but there is no way to know if anyone actually even looks at it. My fear is that they are just using the GPS users to update their maps which means that the users will always get stuck without correct directions.

I am stuck with a GPS that is un-usable for RVing. No way am I going to follow it in areas I don’t know. My goal in doing all of this (doing reviews is time consuming!) is that maybe enough people will see/share that Rand McNally will either have to fix their software or the rest of you won’t lose several hundred dollars buy buying from them.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

The problem with Google maps when used for directions.....is that their algorithm
routes you by their customers. With such a bias it's no wonder people question the the route suggested by them. We recently went for trip to Southern California for 2.5 months. I drove with my wife using our Garmin Nuvi 66LM and
a road map for giving directions. Driving was so easy compared to years ago.
It showed pics of the upcoming intersections and it made our trip so much more enjoyable. While driving to our new destination we would always try to guess the
arrival time. She would say because I drove I could control when we would arrive.
Now that she has the gps she has the advantage.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #15

I am still using my 10-year-old Garmin. I just hate it that I spent so much money on the Rand McNally. Today I was getting ready for a trip to pipestem State resort in West Virginia and the good Sam GPS would not pull it up with the address on the parks website as the physical address . Had to pick city center. Charged up my Garmin and it went right to the address
Old 07-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

If there is a co pilot paper maps don't lie.
Otherwise Google Maps gets us through cities and urban areas and pinpoints campgrounds.

I have given up totally on vehicle GPS. We constantly have to fish out delivery and service techs who use them. They wind up 10 miles away and wonder where we are.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #17

I used to be an engineer with a government agency that worked on the GPS satellite constellation and I'm a bit of a GPS geek. My collection of GPS units is measured in dozens and range from gigantic "handhelds" the size of a laser printer which can calculate your position in a mere 55 minutes to the latest and greatest.
In my opinion, Garmin has always been the best in my experience. Trimble is better hardware, but they aren't a player in the consumer mapping GPS units.
I've had a few mis-routes with Garmin, but more with other brands and some (tom tom) have been so ridiculously bad they ended up in a garbage can at a gas station.
If you want a unit, I'd suggest Garmin. It does make me mad that the unit I bought specifically for the weather radar overlay is useless now because the data service that provided the weather info went under. It was nice having the graphics that show weather radar when traveling.
Currently I run a Passport IQ which is from Escort and has GPS and radar/laser detection all in one. The GPS is decent, but apparently Escort stopped making them and won't be making updates available.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:43 AM   #18

Thanks VTSummit. As I do travel alone, I need something I can doublecheck the night before and then trust during the route. I have been using a combination of this terrible Rand McNally, my antique Garmin and every now and then Waze on the phone. Not a good scenario as I am driving. I have been looking back at getting a newer Garmin and your post confirms that's probably the route I should take.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #19

It doesn't guarantee the routing is perfect, but it's as good as you'll get from a portable unit. I had a misroute yesterday that added 5-10 minutes to my day but had I been paying more attention to the signs I would have realized it had my position off just enough that I didn't get an audible warning of the turn. I'd say 90% or more of my misroutes are missed turns because I wasn't paying attention and the audible turn warning didn't happen in time to make the turn.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #20

We use a Garmin RV 760 and love it. Plan routes with basecamp and upload it to the GPS.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote