Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Downsizing to a Jayco

I'm wondering if some of you previously had larger motorhomes, of whatever mfg, and then found a particular Jayco unit suitable as a downsizing option.

Context: Sooner or later the time comes when some people find they are using their dp 40 ft or something else less frequently, and for trips no longer accurately described as “extended RV travel” or "full time."

An occasional cruise or trip overseas finds its way onto our list of locations. Sometimes we found a place we want to staying for a few weeks or month, and rentlng, not just hoteling or rving, becomes a good option.

Doesn't mean one doesn't still valued RV travel, but health and age issues tend to make you look for other options, and there are lots of overseas choices.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Not myself personally. However, my father (turns 80 next March) downsized a few years back. He and my mother, at one time had a big class A. We all liked getting together and hunting every year to much and the MH just wouldn't cut the mustard. It was great for them to travel around RV'ing, but to get out and boondock camp, having to have a good 'hunting friendly' extra vehicle to tow around just didn't cut it. Add to that, I had my 5'er with a flipped axles and lifted (so I could get into some pretty deep backcountry) and still have my TV to get around and haul the extras.

Anyway, apologies for rambling. They downsized a couple of years ago to a 24foot Tango TT. They have a lot more options of RV parks to get in and out of (RV length limiting), and he says the shorter length is easier to tow and maneuver. Its just the two of them so they have lots of space.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I pulled the following off another forum. Am inserting it just for some extra context. Seems like some Jayco units would also work well:

"We have had 8 Motor Homes in the past 40 plus years. 5 gassers, 2 dp"s 1 class c. We down sized a little over a year ago to our present motor home. We love it. The DP's that we had were a waste of money and expensive to maintain. The ride for the DP's we had was not much better to justify the cost. Of course we did not use any of them very much. The nicest riding ones we had were a 95 Dolphin, 98 Tropical, 2002 Pace Arrow. all gassers. The rest all have not so good rides, and all have the ford chassis. There are things that you can do to make the ride better short of buying a diesel. For what little we use a motor home anymore a diesel just is not worth the cost for us. 2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport."
Old 11-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

I think we've upsized, downsized, sideways sized and all. Hadn't owned a DP though due to not being able to justify cost. I think this order:
2003 Mobile Scout 27' no-slide bumper pull
2006 Fleetwood Popup (Had along with the previous and next one)
2007 Mobile Scout 33' 2-slide fifth wheel
2010 Sunnybrook 35' 2-slide bumper pull
2012 Tiffin 36' 4-slide Class A (Gasser)
2013 Forester 33' 2-slide Class C
2014 Cedar Creek 40' 4-slide fifth wheel (Full Timed in this one)
2015 Jayco 33' 1-slide bumper pull (present rig)

And all in all, my favorite was the earlier Mobile Scouts, with Jayco running in second place. We look at it as square footage for the dollar. Hard to beat with the bumper pull or fifth wheel. There are a few things we miss about the motorhomes, but price isn't one of them. I can no longer justify the cost of one. I have less in my whole rig now than the Tiffin cost alone, not to mention the toad we had for it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

We keep our large Jayco in Az and have downsized to a much smaller tt for summer use in the North. IT is a lot nicer to travel with the smaller trailer and we find it quite comfortable for a week to 10 days at a time.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

If I had a truck or was more focused on camping in one spot for longer periods of time, I think I would be more focused on a tt or 5th.

The justification of cost is kind of an interesting thought. After seeing an 03 Country Coach 36ft dp Class A in excellent condition well under $100k, it seemed to easily justify its cost, and that is whether or not I pull a car or I rent a car if I stay in one place very long.

I do plan to head out for a couple of months at time, but may want some downtime here and there. I also plan to do some overseas travels.

And I'm kind of wondering if I will be leaving this forum soon as a Seneca is sort of dropping off my list being that it costs at least twice as much (to get the 2016 with air ride seats, than a used premium Class A.)
Old 12-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

Downsizing to a Jayco

My hope is that maybe in the future I will upsize to a class A. At this stage in my life however, I have no desire for a motor coach. I do like them and perhaps after I retire in about 7/8 years, I would seriously consider looking into one to roam about the country on a seasonal basis, that is extended visits south in the winter and north in the summer. These New England winters are starting to really get to me! Lol!
Being new to the whole RV thing, I'm really enjoying learning all the bits and pieces that go into an RV (TT in our case). For now I'm content to leave a TT on cape cod and use it as our 'summer home'. We love the cape, and this allows us to spend more time there in the summer than ever before in our lives. It is a great and more economical way to 'have a place' down the cape.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Having a tt parked on Cape Cod is probably one of the best uses you can put that tt to. All these RVs have multiple uses, some more optimal that other uses.

I have a friend (use to be a lawyer) who is retired who wants to give me one of his two boats. Even if the boat is in pretty decent shape, despite the fact that he mentioned it needs some sort of repair to the shaft, I really don't want it. My guess is he is looking for someone to take away one of his financial headaches.

I can't image I will be lucky enough to discover it is something I can trade for a Seneca.