Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #1

Drain "leftovers"

No matter how long I leave the gate valves open to drain the black/gray tanks, after a day on the road when I take the main cap off to hook up the slinky, a cup or so of nasty pours out. If I leave the cap off with no hose, and fill the tanks, nothing leaks out for long periods afterward, so I'm pretty sure the gate valves do not leak. So it looks like unavoidable remainders in the plumbing after the gates.

I see only three alternatives:
1. Leave the cap off, so it dribbles on the road as I travel. Not great, but there isn't much and it would be widely distributed.
2. Catch it in a small bucket/basin and pour into the toilet when setting up.
3. Just make a puddle at the site and let it dry - but that seems bad considering all the other people before and after who will also use the site.

How common is this, and what do you do?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

I would think you have "leftovers" stuck on the flappers or seals. If you have a straight drain exit, adapt a long handle brush and give them a cleaning. Know for sure that those other people who use the site after you will give thanks.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Options 1 & 3 would probably not be recommended. Sounds like somehow there is a low point in one or both of your tanks that's holding a little liquid when sitting in the position you level at. If you have a tank flush system maybe you could run it a few times before hitting the road. At least then, whatever comes out later should be "fairly" clean water. Just a thought.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #4

Have you tried to raise the other side while dumping? I grab a couple of my 2x6's and pull onto them at the dump. Seems to help.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #5

I put one of these at the end of the pipe then attached the cap to it. It eliminated all but one or two drips. It also gives you the opportunity to keep this valve closed but open both gray valves in order to combine the two tanks for better usage (capacity).
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...=rv+gate+valve

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

I also use the Valtera valve. Works great and eliminates the little bit of dribbling when taking off the cap. My valves are in the enclosed underbelly of the fiver and replacing one of them would be a major job. This was simple and much less costly than having a dealer change out the leaking gate valve.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

I have been "dealing" with this "stuff" ever since I bought my trailer. The dealer has inspected my valve twice last year. I just had the trailer in and they have now replaced it. I think we have the same issue. I think the valve is just vibrating open as we travel down the road. I am hoping this new valve will fix the problem. I will let you know.

Please do not do 1 or 3. I have been doing #2 (no pun intended, well, maybe a little) for ever.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote

« Stuff | iRV player »