Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

draining and cleaning hot water heater

I drain my hot water heater often, but have never completely drained it. On your home water heater you simply hook a hose up to the bottom, drain it and flush it to get all of the crud out of the bottom. How do I get the crud out of the bottom of my tt water heater? Logic(ya right)tells me to pull the plastic plug, turn the water back on and flush away. Right? Will a garden hose hook up where I take the plug out so I can direct it away from the tt. Am I making this harder than it is?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:44 AM   #2

Get yourself one of these... I think Walmart may have them also.

Amazon.com: Camco 11691 Water Heater Tank Rinser: Automotive

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #3

Well I guess you could pull the drain plug and if you were hooked up to city water turn the hose on and let it rinse through it ... If you could find a fitting with the same threads as the plug you might be able to hook a small hose to divert it but mine is a tight fit behind one of the lines so I wouldn't be able to fit a full size water hose behind it .... I would just let it drain naturally through the plug and get out of the line of fire when you turn the hose on lol
Old 04-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #4

I drain my water heater after camping if I'm not planning on going out again for a couple weeks. Especially in hot weather, the water gets skunky sitting in the tank. I just pull the plug and let it gush. That tends to keep most of the lime buildup flushed out.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Site Team

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...%3Dsem&cad=rja

This little flusher can be screwed to the end of a hose and used to flush all the scale, etc from the tank.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #6

I have an rv that is 23 years old. I always drain the water tank after every trip.
Tank still has the origional heating element and works fine.
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

How about sticking a pressure washer in the drain hole? To much? Ruin something in there?
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
I drain my water heater after camping if I'm not planning on going out again for a couple weeks. Especially in hot weather, the water gets skunky sitting in the tank. I just pull the plug and let it gush. That tends to keep most of the lime buildup flushed out.
This is what I do as well...
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #9

Drain after every trip. My last rig I replaced the plastic plug with a brass fitting, flexible rubber hose, and a valve so I could drain the tank very quickly every time. The plastic plug however is only applicable to Atwood water heater. I currently have a Suburban and behind the plug is an anode rod so I can't put a valve in it. I can drain the system with the low point drains and flush it with the water heater tank rinser at the end of the season to get the remnants of zinc from the anode rod out of the tank.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #10

How much "crud" does a person get with the Atwood heater with the plastic plug? I have simply drained mine every time we come back from a camping trip and have never had a problem with the heater getting "cruddy". We have been fifth-wheeling since 1993 and have not had this problem.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #11

If your HW heater has an anode rod, the purpose of which is for it to deteriorate instead of the metal tank lining, it will accumulate a fair amount of "crud.". If it is a Suburban HW heater - it probably has an anode rod and you should flush frequently.

If you have an Atwood with a plastic plug - and no anode rod, you won't get too much buildup and simply draining the HW heater frequently will keep the buildup flushed away.

Just my experienced opinion.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

As far as getting "crud" in that tank, I've seen some nice build up in the open part of the back of my plastic plug, so I can only imagine what's going on in the tank.

Short of having one of those nifty rinsers, I just remove the plug to drain whatever's in there, (don't re-insert the plug) connect city water and let 'er rip. I don't worry about the water coming out of the drain hole, I just let it do what it does. I don't know exactly how effective it is at agitating any buildup and getting it out, but it's all I've got at this point. I do this about every other time I have the trailer in my driveway, and I always store the tank "empty".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #13

My Atwood water heater never had any crud in it as such but there was usually a small amount of sediment that would show up at the beginning of the flush. I use a sediment filter but there would still be a bit of sediment that would end up in the tank.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
As far as getting "crud" in that tank, I've seen some nice build up in the open part of the back of my plastic plug, so I can only imagine what's going on in the tank.

Short of having one of those nifty rinsers, I just remove the plug to drain whatever's in there, (don't re-insert the plug) connect city water and let 'er rip. I don't worry about the water coming out of the drain hole, I just let it do what it does. I don't know exactly how effective it is at agitating any buildup and getting it out, but it's all I've got at this point. I do this about every other time I have the trailer in my driveway, and I always store the tank "empty".
Good advice! I think I'll start hooking up to city water and flushing every now and then in the future.

Scoutr2 (Mike)