Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Driving through winter weather

My family is planning a trip from Toronto to Orlando area in March. I am concerned about the water lines freezing while we drive. The RV is currently winterized. We were hoping to use the washroom while we drove but I am worried about the lines freezing as we drive through the "winter" states. Also after we have camped for a few weeks do I have to winterize it for the trip back or can I wait until we get back to Toronto?
Nemirovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #2

As long as you are moving, the water probably will not freeze. When you stop, if you have a heated, enclosed underbelly or tank heaters the heat will probably keep the water from freezing as long as you open the doors to the water lines inside the trailer. At least, that's my thoughts, for what they are worth.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

If it were me, I would leave it winterized until you hit a warmer climate. Carry a few gallons of water jugs and a few antifreeze bottles on board. Use the washroom by "flushing" with a mixture of water and antifreeze. Follow any hand washing (with water) with a little antifreeze down the drain.
Once you get to your destination, you can de-winterize.
I would also winterize before you leave. The last thing you are going to want to do after a long drive is winterize in freezing temperatures.

Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

March can be a "toss up" month as im sure you are aware. I think I would wait and see what the temps are going to be just prior to leaving and if your average temps are going to be around freezing, I think I would just unwinterize it and take the chance. You should only be traveling about a day in freezing weather. Worst case, pull the low point drains and open all the faucets to allow most of the water to leave the system while traveling. My brother inlaw has done this for 3 years and has never burst a pipe.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

You will also have to consider that your trailer's steel frame will get covered in salt slush and will start to show signs of rust very quickly. If you must tow on salty roads, make sure you wash your frame and axles afterwards and/or treat with a rust protector.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #6

Don't unwinterize, just use a bucket of water or something to flush down the toilet. Water in your black tank won't hurt anything if it freezes some. Then use some hand wipes or sanitizer for cleaning your hands. I actually have a friend who runs his furnace while he is on the road to Colorado every winter so that his daughter can use the bathroom on the road.

I'd be more worried about salt and road contamination on your trailer.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #7

Driving through winter weather

I would keep winterized until I hit warmer weather.watch the weather report as to when that will be. I use windshield fluid for toilet , couple jugs of water for coffee and use campgrounds for showers you are only looking at one day then your half way there. Better safe than sorry !
As far as getting home usually middle of April is safe if not winterize you can do it in less than 1/2 hr
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

All the above is good advice. I like Clayton's "Better safe than sorry" line; those little things you can do to avoid using your fresh water system are minor inconveniences that you get used to quickly.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #9

I agree, keep winterized and use the bathhouses wherever you stay on the way down. We usually go to Florida in February for 2 weeks. We winterize in late November (after our last trip of the year) and keep it winterized until we get to about South Carolina.

On your way back, keep an eye on temps. Last year we hit 25 degree weather in North Carolina on the way home. Luckily we knew it was coming and winterized in Charleston the morning we left. Nothing worse than getting home from a relaxing warm winter trip and being stuck outside trying to winterize in bitter cold weather!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #10

it wouldnt hurt to have RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank for using the toilet...not cheep but would not freeze and use it for flsuing the toilet until you get to above freezing temps. Bring water for drinking, but don't pour down the drains unless you plan on keeping the furnace on low.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote